JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RDFs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oinge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: RDFs Reply with quote

Specifically 6_806_80 (URC-881x_801x_601x).rdf and RSL1RSL1 (RS 15-2117_2116).rdf, although I suspect others may have the same problem.

When I was using my 15-2117 to learn some signals, I noticed the Key Names were not correct in the Window on the Learned key Tab. I traced the problem to spaces in the RDF in the [Buttons] section. The spaces were between " " for example "left arrow":Left=$33 changing the spaces to underscores like the following: "left_arrow":Left=$33 solved the problem. I also have a 8810w and found the same issue.

I have the latest download of RDFs (the seperate one) and the newest IR. Has this issue been there for some time or has it popped up with a newer version of IR? I haven't tried it, but it looks to me like the "left arrow":Left=$33 could just as easily be Left=$33.

I don't know for sure if the area between the quotes is supposed to be like a comment and not displayed in IR or if the spaces between quotes are not properly recognized in IR. Hopefully one of the experts can explain this.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in front of the colon (Smile is the "generic" button name (not currently used by IR, but is used by RM). Text after it is what IR and RM use for display purposes. If you want to see "Left Arrow" in IR, the proper entry would be:

"left arrow":"Left Arrow"=$33

Text MUST be quoted when it contains a space.
Oinge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the text as it appears in the downloaded RDF:

[Buttons]
TV=$01,
VCR=$09
CD=$0a
SAT=$11
CBL=$12
DVD=$21
AUX=$22
AUDIO=$23
0=$1F
1=$15
2=$16
3=$17
4=$19
5=$1A
6=$1B
7=$1C
8=$1D
9=$1E
Menu=$14
Guide=$36
Power=$03
"display":Info=$13
"up arrow":Up=$31
"left arrow":Left=$33
"down arrow":Down=$32
"right arrow":Right=$34
Select=$35
"vol up":VOL+=$04
Mute=$08
"vol down":VOL-=$05
"fav/scan":Scan{Fav}=$2C
"channel down":Ch-=$07
"channel up":Ch+=$06
"prev ch":Last=$38
Enter=$18
"tv/vcr":TV/Video{A/B}=$20
"rewind":Rew=$0B
Play=$0C
"fast fwd":FFWD=$0D
"record":Rec=$10
pause=$0F
"Stop":Stop_Eject=$0E
Sleep=$30
+100=$2F
"pip on/off":PIP=$25
"pip move":Move=$26
"pip swap":Swap=$27
Freeze=$28
"theater":My_System=$24
Exit=$37
"setup"Razz[Setup]=$02
"light":{light}=$29
DiscreteON=$2A
DiscreteOFF=$2B
phantom1=$2D
phantom2=$2E
phantom3=$39
phantom4=$3A
phantom5=$3B

The only thing I did was change the spaces to the left of the colon to underscores and then the key names displayed correctly.
Are you saying that the text to the right of the colon that contains spaces should be enclosed in Quotes.

If so, was this an oversight in the RDfs that I downloaded?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he said that " and " arte only used on the left side of the ":". As you can see, only one entry had two "words", My_System and there are NO ""s, but it does have an underscore (because it CAN'T have a space on the right of the ":"). IR ignores whats on the LEFT of the ":" and displays only what's on the right of the ":". What's on the Left is for RM ro convert what's commonly seen as generic button names that KM uses a lot. RM knows what those within quotes are for. What IR sees and displays is what's on the RIGHT side of any ":" that are present. IR doesn't need or even "see" what's on the left side of any ":" that may be present. If you want to change what IR displays, ie "Left arrow" INSTEAD of just "Left" simply type andf replace "Left" with "Left_arrow" (minus the quote marks). IR BREAKS if a white space is between the two words, hence the _(undersore) requirement; but "ignores" that undersore when it actually presents the "text names". Read the .DOC file included with IR to see what IR requires, and the format in which it must be presented. Nils, or someone needs to update it to include the RM requirements and quirks. For NOW, that document ONLY pertains to IR. FWIW, For the remotes I use, and thus their RDF's, IR didn't care what was to the left of the ":", so white spaces there didn't matter. It IS picky about white spaces on the right side tho. There are other symbols that you can't use on the right side, and they're covered in the IR .DOC file.

Hope this helps.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark and Jim, please reread what "Oinge" said. He clearly understands the quoting rules and is clearly reporting that IR.EXE fails to correctly parse correctly quoted material.

I don't have time to redo the test to confirm, so I won't rule out operator error, but the above reports are clear and report an IR bug, not a misunderstanding of the quoting rules.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
Are you saying that the text to the right of the colon that contains spaces should be enclosed in Quotes.

Yes, as per RDF3Spec.doc

Quote:
If so, was this an oversight in the RDfs that I downloaded?

I didn't check many of the RDF's, but the one above in your post doesn't have any button names to the right of the colon that contain spaces.

johnsfine wrote:
the above reports are clear and report an IR bug, not a misunderstanding of the quoting rules.

I did test this (though perhaps not thoroughly enough) and could not reproduce Oinge's errors, as long as the text on either side of the colon was formatted properly (I did exit and restart IR after each RDF mod to make sure it wasn't caching anything). The first unquoted <space> IR encountered (on either side of the colon) did produce a garbled list of button names in all tabs where they're used. No matter what I did, anything to the left of the colon was totally ignored by IR as long as it was properly formatted.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RDFs Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
for example "left arrow":Left=$33 changing the spaces to underscores like the following: "left_arrow":Left=$33 solved the problem.

Seems unambiguous to me. There is a properly quoted space on the left side of the : and no space on the right and Mark says it works and Oinge says it doesn't work.

Operator error?

Some Windows internationalization option that breaks IR's understanding of quotes?
Oinge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnsfine is correct, even about possible operator error Very Happy . I believe that IR is not correctly handling the spaces in the quoted text to the left of the colon.

I uploaded "Spaces_RDF.ZIP" to the diagnostic files section of files at Yahoo, if anyone is interested. Although I discovered the problem working with learned signals the device tab has the same issue with keynames. The files I uploaded are the same except one is the original rdf and one is the rdf I modified.

If I understand correctly I could eliminate al lthe text to the left of the colon, including the colon and not cause any problem other than the "original" button names not being displayed. Is this correct?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suddely remembered the more obvious explanation.

It's a recently added feature in IR.EXE

Mark is using a newer version than Oinge is using.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
I uploaded "Spaces_RDF.ZIP" to the diagnostic files section of files at Yahoo, if anyone is interested. Although I discovered the problem working with learned signals the device tab has the same issue with keynames. The files I uploaded are the same except one is the original rdf and one is the rdf I modified.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 2 files are identical. A file comparison shows no differences between them.

If you modified the RDF while IR was open and running, then the changes you made were most likely not reflected. IIRC, IR never re-reads the RDF during a session unless you change the remote type (i.e. File|New).

Quote:
If I understand correctly I could eliminate al lthe text to the left of the colon, including the colon and not cause any problem other than the "original" button names not being displayed. Is this correct?

Correct as far as IR is concerned... it doesn't currently use the "generic" names for anything. RM use those generic names when changing remote models in an upgrade.
Oinge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened both files I posted and you are right they both looked the same. Then I realized I was using the same rdf to open both. Therefore they would look the same. When I use the original RDF, the problem is there with both files and whenI use the modified RDf they both look like they should.

I change my uploaded file to include a IR text file and the original and modified RDF files. I changed the extensions of the two files to .org and .mod.

IR is reporting

Remote Control Programmer 3.20
Learned Signal Decoder : DecodeIR (version2.05
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
Remote Control Programmer 3.20

There's your problem... Only IR 4.x supports the new RDF [Buttons] format. You're using an older version. Wink
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Mark is using a newer version than Oinge is using.

That'll do it!

Y'all had me thinkin' I was nuts for a minute there. Shocked Of course, I know I am nuts, but that's besides the point!
Oinge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had downloaded the newest IR when I downloaded the seperate RDFs. However, I must not have. I now have the latest IR and it looks fine with the unmodified RDF. It doesn't display the keynames in Quotes to the left of the colon, which is what I was going to do by deleting that text. It makes a nicer looking displaythat way, or at least I think so.

Anyway thanks for your help and patience. I'll delete my upload from the diagnostic area of Files @ Yahoo, before I forget Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: