JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Several "newbie" questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
painter62

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Several "newbie" questions Reply with quote

I am a novice at this remote game and have several questions which may seem naive - but please bear with me.
1) I have an RCA RCU900 remote. Was it manufactured by UEI and can it be upgraded at all? There is no code for my Samsung HDTV receiver or SONY Home Theater unit.
2) Would there be any advantage for me in getting a JP1 type of remote if I have a MAC computer? Would I need to get access to a Windows machine to download any upgrades?
3) I seem to recall several remotes that have the capability of upgrading through a phone call. Is that an efficient and accurate means of upgrading? Which units can be upgraded in this manner?

Thank you for your patience with a novice. It sure would be nice to figure out "what the devil" to do.

gary
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Several "newbie" questions Reply with quote

painter62 wrote:
1) I have a RCA RCU900 remote, can it be upgraded to be JP1 compatible?
No.
painter62 wrote:
2) Would there be any advantage for me in getting a JP1 type of remote if I have a MAC computer?
No.
painter62 wrote:
3) I seem to recall several remotes that have the capability of upgrading through a phone call. Is that an efficient and accurate means of upgrading? Which units can be upgraded in this manner?
This spreadsheet lists all JP1 remotes. There is a column called "Modem" - if it says yes in this column, the remote can be upgraded by phone.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

There is a program called "remote master" ("RM") that is written in Java and will run on your MAC. However, the output of this program still needs to be pasted into IR.exe, a windows only program.

Also, the above link goes to a ms-excel spreadsheet. If you do not have excel on your mac, here is a link to an (older) html version of this chart.

Good Luck, and Happy New Year,
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: