JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

difference between X_RCVR and RCVR in macros with 8811 ext.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: difference between X_RCVR and RCVR in macros with 8811 ext. Reply with quote

Hi,
I stumbled on something yesterday when setting up a remoted controlled component video switch:
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/4-1-ATLONA-COMPONENT-VIDEO-SWITCHER-WITH-DIGITAL-AND-ANALOG-AUDIO-p-16800.html

this switch can be controlled by the included IR remote or by teaching it a command to use. Using my 8811 (extended) I programmed it to switch to the appropriate input (inputs # 1 or 2) using the receiver (onkyo 575x) discrete input selection (1 for V1 or 4 for DVD). Note that V1 is the digital input from my moto HD cable box (CBL device).

the RCVR input selection is mapped to the numerical keypad: 1 is V1 and 4 is DVD. I taught the switcher that input 1 is selected by RCVR + "1" and input 2 is selected by RCVR + "4". I verified this worked.

In my macros that setup the HT for DVD (RCVR input 4: DVD input) or CBL (RCVR input 1: V1 input), I added the sequence X_RCVR; 1 for CBL (V1) and X_RCVR;4 for DVD, on the LKP portion of CBL and DVD, respectively.

The switcher would not respond to these commands. I substituted the following: RCVR/AMP; 1 and RCVR/AMP;4 for CBL and DVD LKP, respectively, and that worked.

Shouldn't X_RCVR work the same as RCVR/AMP within a macro? X_RCVR certainly lets me select inputs and all other functions of the RCVR.

Thanks for your patience with the long question.

Best,
jeff
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: difference between X_RCVR and RCVR in macros with 8811 e Reply with quote

greenough1 wrote:

Shouldn't X_RCVR work the same as RCVR/AMP within a macro? X_RCVR certainly lets me select inputs and all other functions of the RCVR.

No. X_RCVR only temporarily selects the RCVR/AMP device for
issuing commands. This overrides the current device selections.
RCVR/AMP, on the other hand, will execute whatever command
or macro is associated with the RCVR/AMP button. I don't think
there's any reason to expect that a key will behave any
differently in a macro than it does independently.
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Floyd,
With the extender, device selection buttons only setup the keysets. I completely agree they should be the same within a macro or not.

So really what I'm asking is what's the difference, in a macro, between:
RCVR/AMP;1
and
X_RCVR;1

Where 1 selects input 1 on the amp. The switcher says they're different. I've uploaded my IR file here:

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4668

Look at the LKP part of the RCVR and DVD button.
jeff
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_RCVR;1 Will temporarily set the device to receiver and then send the single command for the "1" key. If the device being controlled before the macro was executed was not the receiver, that previous device will still be controlled.

RCVR/AMP;1 Will execute the macro defined on the RCVR/AMP macro and then send the "1" command for the device current handling the number keys. In your case, after execution of this macro, the device being controlled will be the receiver.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
X_RCVR;1 Will temporarily set the device to receiver and then send the single command for the "1" key. If the device being controlled before the macro was executed was not the receiver, that previous device will still be controlled.

Then what purpose does the X_ really serve? My understanding of the X_ commands is that they will temporarily change the current device to the one selected, so in this case the following "1" button in the macro should be the "1" button from RCVR mode. When the macro ends, the X_ device selection ends and reverts back to the previously selected device mode.
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pH7_jp1,
You're right that RCVR/AMP is not temporary like X_RCVR is. BUT the fact still remains that X_RCVR;1 is different than RCVR/AMP;1. The former will select input 1 on the RCVR and not on the switcher.

I think I already posted this, but I taught the switcher RCVR/AMP;1. BIG NOTE, pressing the RCVR/AMP button doesn't send an IR signal, it merely configures the RCVR/AMP keyset.

What happens at the end of the macro is irrelevant, regarding temporary assignment of keysets or not, since the relevant command is in the middle of the macro.

thanks for the input. It's not big deal as I found a work-around. I posted mainly out of curiosity.

Best,
jeff
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenough1 wrote:
With the extender, device selection buttons only setup the keysets.

Where did you get that info?

I don't have time to test now, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

In or out of a MACRO the RCVR button will execute the macro that you have defined in RCVR, which is:
X_RCVR; Phantom1

So it should select RCVR:Pantom1, which you have defined as

LKP( Phantom2 / Phantom2 )

I don't know LKP that well, but I might guess this waits until you release the original button then executes RCVR:Phantom2, which you have defined as:

V_RCVR; C_RCVR; M_RCVR; P_RCVR; O_RCVR; T_RCVR

After all that, I guess the original macro of RCVR;1 ought to finish, sending whatever signal is on RCVR:1 just as a macro of X_RCVR;1 would.

The duration of that '1` would be shorter because you've already lifted your finger from the original button. Maybe that's the whole problem. Or maybe I've misunderstood how some detail fits together.

What did you intend the RCVR button to do?
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Maybe I used incorrect terminology. What I meant was the device buttons have no built-in meaning with the extender. I've defined macros on them that setup the keysets (here's where my abuse of terminology was, sorry).

I intended the RCVR;1 combination I inserted into the LKP part of CBL, to mimic what I had to do to get the switcher to change to the appropriate input.

Right Robman... My expectation was exactly yours, but that didn't work, hence my question about what's different. In my CBL LKP, X_RCVR;1 (executed in the LKP macro) changes the receiver to input 1, as does RCVR;1 (executed my manually pressing RCVR then 1). So my receiever thinks these are the same.

the switcher was taught RCVR;1, but ignores X_RCVR;1, apparently. Maybe it is a timing issue as John suggests.

Unfortunately I had to return the switcher today since it was degrading the high frequencies of HD content. The new one will require that I use learned signals to select it's input. I'm sure I'll have questions when I start that.

Thank you for this forum.

Best,
jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: