JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

3.5mm mini plug question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: 3.5mm mini plug question... Reply with quote

this may seem like a really odd question, so bear with me.

I've got an IR connecting block, IR receiver and emitter set (xantech 291-00 kit http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_291kit.pdf).

the emitters and the connecting block are fine, but the IR receiver (291-10 hidden link http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_29110.pdf) can't be put exactly where I need/want it. I located a different one (speakercraft IRC-2.1 http://www.speakercraft.com/#Products:221:IRC-2.0) that better suits my needs (sorry I link the manual, but it's on the linked page)

Both IR receivers (come with a 3.5mm miniplug). The differences are the IRC-2.0 has 4 contacts on the plug while the 291-10 has 3. from the plug to the tip they are:
IRC-2.0: plug : status:insulator:+12VDC:insulator:GND:insulator:signal
291-10 : plug : +12VDC : insulator: GND : insulator: signal

The difference is the status, which lights an led on the IRC-2.0 indicating the system is on.

I see nothing in the manual on the 789-44 (xantech connecting block http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_78944.pdf) about the female miniplug except to connect a 3-conductor miniplug to it. What will happen if I connect a 4 conductor miniplug to it? I guess the female miniplug connectors are made for different numbers of conductor plugs?

this is really to satisfy my curiosity since I have two solutions. One is to order the IRC-2.1 which doesn't have the mini plug, just 4 stripped wires and connect to the screw terminal on the 789-44. I might be stuck with the IRC-2.0 (since I didn't realize there was a conductor difference on the miniplug until after I order it), but I guess I can just cut the miniplug off and seperate/strip the wires (the cable is a small ribbon cable).

Thanks,
jeff
BobbyD

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Hello from BobbyD Reply with quote

I have worked with the Xantech product and you should be compatible using 3 of the 4 conductors available on the IR receiver . The status conductor will not be used in your case. The filter to block the IR light from the plasma is important as I have had problems in the past using Xantech receivers placed in front of the plasma display. If you purchase a 3.5mm phono plug and re - solder the connections for the + , - and IR connections and insulate the status conductor you should be fine.

Hoping this has helped.

BobbyD
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BobbyD,
Thanks for the reply.

I think I might have confused folks with my original post, i.e. what i really was asking.

What I was really asking was will the speakercraft IR receiver linked above, with its 4 conductor 3.5mm miniplug work with the female miniplug on the xantech connecting block?

I did research female miniplugs in the digikey catalog. It looks like they come in 4 or 6 conductor configurations with variations in how the package is laid-out.

since I don't know the internal workings of the speakercraft IR receiver, he safest thing to do is to just cut the miniplug off and hard-wire it to the connecting block. this is easy enough to do and I know it'll work. I was just trying to make my life easier.

Thanks again,
jeff
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close this thread for others, the speakercraft IP receiver miniplug plugged in to the IR receiver port and works without connecting the status line. This is great as I didn't want the distraction of the green LED on all the time on the front of the set.

Best,
jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: