JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shift Keys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aevans0001

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Shift Keys Reply with quote

How do I use Shift Keys... FOr iNstance On The Dish Network VIP622 it shows shifted keys for Page up and DOwn and was wondering how I use the shifted keys...

Is this only useful; through Macros? I understand that you have short and long presses for shift keys, but I did not see anywhere in the tutorial that says to use shifted keys press...

Thanks
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: Press the "setup" or "magic" or green "P" button first.
Long answer:
UEI-manufactured remotes have one key that is the "shift" key. It goes by many varied names, depending on the specific model remote you have.

On most OFA remotes, it is labelled "SETUP", on older OFA remotes it is labelled "MAGIC". On Radio Shack UEIC remotes, it is a green key labelled "P" (for "programming"). It may be differently labelled on other UEIC remotes.

In each case, the "normal" use of this button is to get you into a programming mode, i.e. you press and hold it first to access either 3-digit (9XX) commands (on non-LCD remotes) or the setup command displays (on LCD remotes) to assign setup codes, create keymoves and macros, reset the remote or whatever.

An additional use of this button is as a "shift" button, to access a second command that may be assigned to a button's "shifted" condition. To access a "shifted" command, you just press "setup" (or "magic" or "p") momentarily (NOT press and hold like above) and then press the button you want. Any shifted command assigned to that button (via keymove or macro) will then be executed.

A few caveats:
(1) You cannot assign a function in a device upgrade to a shifted button. It will ALWAYS be imported as a keymove;
(2) shifted functions assigned to numeric keys require TWO presses of the "shift" button before pressing the numeric key. (This is because normally, a short press of the "setup" button prepares the remote for direct entry of an EFC (3 or 5 numerals) so numeric presses after a single press of "setup" are interpreted as the digits of an EFC.

If you use an extender:
(1) the NORMAL function of the setup key is disabled, so it only works as a "shift" key, so you need not do 2 presses to access shifted numeric buttons;
(2) You can redefine ANY button on the remote to be the "shift" button;
(3) There is a THIRD level of commands you can assign to buttons (called x-shifted commands). They are not normally accessible unless you use them in keymoves, macros or special function sequences, but you can also define any button on the remote as your "x-shift" button;

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
floyd1977

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I have the VIP622, and I just put page up/down on the Ch +/- buttons since Dish receivers use Up/Down to change the channels.
xDarKnighTx

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the URC-8910, and I set a function to Shift+power. However, I can't seem to find the shift button. I tested with the SET button, but it did nothing. Any ideas?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SET"=shift.

Are you using it properly? Some people try to press both buttons simultaneously, which is incorrect. Press AND RELEASE "SET", then press "Power". If it still doesn't work, post your IR file in the diagnosis area and provide a link to it here.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If - like me - you keep hitting Power instead of the UpArrow on your 8910, then use the 8910 Extender

Set Power to become UpArrow, Shift Power to Power. Then set up LKP on Power so that a long press activates Shift Power (i.e. Power off or on) and a short ( or accidental) press just acts as an UpArrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: