JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question on RC5/RC6 Combo protocol and Kam 9960 B01

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joedaring

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Question on RC5/RC6 Combo protocol and Kam 9960 B01 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been away from the Fora for quite a while now (Job change etc.) and returned recently to check if anything new was on about my remote, the Kameleon 9960 B01...

Wow! I see there have been BIG steps forward... an Extender has seen the light... THANKS unclemiltie and nils ekberg!

In the past months, I also tried the "Pocket PC Way" (HERESY!!! Smile ) using NoviiRemote on an Acer PPC device but, while the system is very powerful (I'd say ALMOST as powerful as JP1 Wink ) the useability of a PocketPC device as a remote control leaves A LOT to be desired...

So, I returned to the customization of my remote, that had previously reached almost a dead end for keymove memory starvation and lack of features that would have made it much more useable (LDKP in the first place!) with my HT system.

I almost immediately recalled that there were still some issues with the RC5/RC6 Combo Protocol I was trying to use to implement command of my new Philips LCD TV.

This is the topic where I placed my questions and request for help:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7350

...there has been a considerable follow up to my thread, mainly by johnsfine that was working on the RC5/RC6 protocol (PID 0184) but my last post there (I was reporting the upgrade I built using the protocol wasn't working) is still unreplied...

Also, at one point, johnsfine redirected me to another thread to see his latest comments on the subject:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50440

...and what's worrying me now is his last post in that thread:
Quote:
It appears that the old 0184 is totally useless. It is just a single device RC6 with no RC5. There already was a better RC6, so I have no clue what UEI thought they were doing in creating that.

I don't have the patience to code a beter S3C80 version of the new 0184. So I just posted yet another protocols.ini. This time I dropped support for the useless 0184 variant and added the official UEI version of the new 0184 (that Rob posted earlier in this thread). I still haven't tested this, but I expect both UEI and Rob did it right.

So, my question now is:
I still need to mix RC6 and RC5 commands to build a complete upgrade for my philips LCD TV... does a working RC5/RC6 combo protocol exists in my Kameleon 9960 B01? Do I need to edit the RDF or the protocol.ini to allow use of the right version of that protocol? I remember the OLD version of the RC5/RC6 Combo was useless, in johnsfine's words... does my remote have the correct one internally, or should I rather force it to use some protocol upgrade? HOW?

I am using now the most recent version of RM and I tried again to prepare the upgrade for the LCD TV... the results are still the same as my last unreplied post in the first thread I linked above...

Is there some kind soul that wants to set me straight on this?
Now that the extender is available, I would like to try again to fully customize the Kameleon, which I still like A LOT...

Of course, once i have all the info on this RC5/RC6 combo trouble, I'll attack the extender and I'll have some (well... quite some!) other questions, but that's another story Wink

Thanks in advance for reading and for your help, guys...

My best regards
Joe
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on RC5/RC6 Combo protocol and Kam 9960 B01 Reply with quote

I don't recall details, nor have time to research it now. But based just on what you quoted:

joedaring wrote:
I still need to mix RC6 and RC5 commands to build a complete upgrade for my philips LCD TV... does a working RC5/RC6 combo protocol exists in my Kameleon 9960 B01?

Apparently it is NOT in your Kameleon.

joedaring wrote:
Do I need to edit the RDF or the protocol.ini to allow use of the right version of that protocol?

Hopefully you have a protocols.ini including my change. I think I always commit the changes to the RM project as well as posting the new protocols.ini file, so if Greg updated RM at least once since I posted that, my changes should be there.

I don't see anything in what you quoted that says whether an RDF change is also needed. I suspect not, but I'm not certain.

joedaring wrote:
does my remote have the correct one internally,

No.

joedaring wrote:
or should I rather force it to use some protocol upgrade? HOW?

If protocols.ini and the rdf were both correct then RM would know to provide the protocol upgrade.

Since you indicate that isn't working, try using the last protocols.ini that I posted instead of the last one released with RM. See if that helps.
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnsfine...

Well, checked RDF and protocol.ini versions, and aligned them to the latest... I had an older protocol.ini, probably because I had write-protected it...

RC5/RC6 Combo upgrade now works OK... obviously a protocol upgrade is generated, to overcome the unadequate native one in the Kameleon...

Oh well... let me attack the extender now Smile

Ciao all! And THANKS!

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: