JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

urc 9960/9964 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: urc 9960/9964 question Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a URC-9964. I was looking at the extender (I think URC-9960B01 is the correct extender version), and I notice that you can define keymoves and special protocol functions on the scroll button. How exactly does this work? If you don't define keymoves for the scroll button, does the scroll button exhibit the same behavior (scrolling through the various screens) as the unextended remote, or do you forfeit the ability to use the scroll key by using the extender?

Thanks.
--Nathan
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: urc 9960/9964 question Reply with quote

floyd1977 wrote:
I'm considering buying a URC-9964. I was looking at the extender (I think URC-9960B01 is the correct extender version), and I notice that you can define keymoves and special protocol functions on the scroll button. How exactly does this work? If you don't define keymoves for the scroll button, does the scroll button exhibit the same behavior (scrolling through the various screens) as the unextended remote, or do you forfeit the ability to use the scroll key by using the extender?

Thanks.
--Nathan

With the extender you can use the scroll button for other functions however, if you don't do anything with it it works as designed. eg. scrolls to next screen. If you program to it you loose the scroll function and it will do whatever you program and you can still include the scroll function in a macro.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that was the case. I read through all the 9960 threads I could, but I couldn't find this information.

Thanks, Nils. Now, when you say I can include the scroll function in a macro, does that mean if I have programmed the scroll button to do something different, then I can still invoke the default (scroll to next screen) behavior by shift cloaking (e.g. shift-scroll)?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: urc 9960/9964 question Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
floyd1977 wrote:

Thanks.
--Nathan

With the extender you can use the scroll button for other functions however, if you don't do anything with it it works as designed. eg. scrolls to next screen. If you program to it you loose the scroll function and it will do whatever you program and you can still include the scroll function in a macro.

Scrolling the screen (with the scroll button as well as other buttons that auto-scroll) is an area where the B01 extender is very different from the B00 extender.

In the B01 extender, I check to see if the key is a scroll key prior to looking into the advance code area for a keymove, macro, etc. (Nils: see how you get to NormalKey: and the call to ScrollScr in ee_part2)

Thus, you can't put a keymove or macro on scroll. You can, however put a keymove or macro on shift-scroll and Xshift-scroll as those will fall through the check in the ROM.

Note: right now you CAN put the keymove or macro on the scroll, but the extender will ignore it and you'll never execute it.

Probably an update to the RDF is necessary to indicate that nothing can be bound to the Scroll key in the non-shifted, non-xshifted state. Yet another item for my list o things to do!

regards

-bill
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill. That makes sense. It seems that the URC-9960 manual does not mention the fact that keys other than scroll (such as Menu in VCR mode) also cause scrolling to occur.

So, if I understand you correctly, I could, for example, set up a macro on the TV device key to do:

M_TV;C_TV;T_TV;O_TV;Scroll;Scroll

This way, I would always go directly to the PIP screen (which has more buttons available) when I select the TV device.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd1977 wrote:
Thanks, Bill. That makes sense. It seems that the URC-9960 manual does not mention the fact that keys other than scroll (such as Menu in VCR mode) also cause scrolling to occur.

So, if I understand you correctly, I could, for example, set up a macro on the TV device key to do:

This way, I would always go directly to the PIP screen (which has more buttons available) when I select the TV device.

Yes, that would work if you wanted to go directly to that screen. The extender changes screens with the O_ command and any time you change the screen via an O_command, the "first" screen for that device is selected.

You could also do a

O_TV,LiveTV

Since the LiveTV is the PIP_main key on the TV screen. and will turn on the PIP keys (scroll to the second screen)

BTW, the next version of the documentation for the extender will document which keys change screens so that you can do things like this. I've got the document written but havne't had the time to go through and really check it against how the code behaves. I hope to have it done soon when I release a new version of the extender with the changes (mentioned elsewhere) in the Pause protocol.

I was contemplating in the extender to put in a screen control command or two that would allow you to set the screen you wanted. In the end, it would add a good bit of complexity in that there is no real uniformity in the way the screens are numbered and it could cause a bit of a mess if you aren't careful (or the amount of code to check would be prohibitive in the extender)

Finally, you do have to pay a bit of attention to the screen you are using becaseu the remote remaps keys to different key values depending on screen. For example for PVR's, the menu key on the initial screen has a key value of $14 and on the PVR-VOD enabled screen has a value of $54. This is a nice feature that allows you to have context-aware key assignments, but if you go setting screens directly you will have to be careful how you map your upgrades.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd1977 wrote:

The more I thought about this, it would be relatively simple to build an upgrade protocol that has the code in it that would set the screen to the nth screen for the current device. that way, I don't have to deal with it in the extender which is already squished for space but could offer this as an option.

What you would have to do is make a keymove using this special protocol with a hex value for the nth screen (similar to a Pause value) and then put that key into a macro to set the screen. rudimentary error checking would take care of n being greater than the number of valid screens by setting the screen to screen#1. Other than that, you get what you get.

Not sure that this is all that valuable. I'm going out of town on friday and won't be back till thursday next week so won't have any time to code it up and debug. If it's interesting, send me a PM and maybe I'll take a crack at it when I get back.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Bill.

One more question if you have time before you leave. Are the buttons that the Kameleon displays dependent on the device button or the device type of the upgrade? For example, if I put SAT 1775 on the CD device button, will I see the CD screen or the CBL/SAT screen(s)?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "lit" keys are dependent on the device type.

So, if you were to put a SAT device on the AUX button, the list of keys that are valid for a SAT would be used. (and all of the scrolling would be dependent on those screen lists)

This is true of both the extended and non-extended remote.

-bill
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Bill. One last thing (hopefully). Do you happen to know what lit keys the "Other" device type corresponds to in IR. I had never seen this option availabe until opening up the URC-9960 B01 extender in IR.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd1977 wrote:
Thanks again, Bill. One last thing (hopefully). Do you happen to know what lit keys the "Other" device type corresponds to in IR. I had never seen this option availabe until opening up the URC-9960 B01 extender in IR.

"other" is the default value that is used if I don't find the keys in any of the other keysets.

Vol=V0l+/-, mute
Ch= digits + last, ch+/-
Trans=all of the transport keys including LiveTV, Skipfwd,Skipback
menu = arrows, menu, guide, etc

other is everything else.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not talking about the key sets, but the device type (i.e. the selections available in the Device Buttons section under the General tab in IR):

CBL
TV
VCR
DVD
CD
PVR
AUDIO
other

This question is not really related to the extender, but you probably know the answer.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, missed that.

This is in the RDF (and is not related to the extender, the non-extended 9960B01 has this as well)

Other has the same keyset as Cable
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: