JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old brain... what software do I need to do the following?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Old brain... what software do I need to do the following? Reply with quote

? Is there anyway to tell the remote to change audio inputs on my receiver that has direct input selection when I change video inputs on my new TV ?

Just got a new plasma... has so many inputs nine [numbered 0-8].... but what really surprised me that that it does not up-convert analog audio from the inputs to the optical digital output on the set....

The set is a Toshiba which does not really have direct input selection.. must pull up menu, then scroll (by arrow or by repeatedly pressing the input button) or you can once menu is displayed do direct number selection.

I have tried doing a key-move and macro to do the following...

press input, have menu display, selection go to input#0... <-this I have gotten to work<- ...
But it is the next step that I can not get to work...
..pause for key press. if key '#' pressed send '#' to tv and then send audio input selection to receiver.

the remotes that I will be using are:
RCA810A/B {have both versions in the house do not remember which version is in the living room} and the original RS 15-2133

--David
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the menu thing of course makes it a bit more challenging.

The first macro you describe gets you to the TV's input selection screen. correct?

At this point you want a press of the next digit (0-8) to:
(1) select the desired input on the TV; AND
(2) select the desired input on your receiver; And
(3) presumably leave your remote in the correct device mode for the device you are about to watch.

Is that correct?

I see TWO potential solutions, only ONE of which is guaranteed to work without the extender. Do you use the extender?:
(1) Put macros on a shifted number keys; or
(2) Using Device Specific Macros (I don't know if there is a non-entender version of DSM for the RCU810).

How about something like this?

Option (1):
Simply create macros on your shifted number buttons. For example if your DVD uses TV input 2 and Audio input 4, your macro would be:
Bound Key: 2 (shifted)
Macro Definition: TV-2-AUD-4-DVD

That should select the Video 2 input on the TV, the Audio 4 input on the Audio device, and put the remote into DVD mode.

Of course you have to activate it by pressing TWO buttons "shift-2" instead of just one.

Option (2) :
Would work best if you have an unused device index on your remote. Let's say VCR2 is unused for this discussion. You must install the DSM Special Protocol and Upgrade (which appears to require the extender - I'm not an RCU810 expert).

Make the LAST step of your First Macro ("TV Input Menu call-up") the VCR2 device button.

Create DSMs on your numeric keys in VCR2 device mode to execute the same macros as described above. e.g.

Bound Device: VCR 2; Bound Key: 2
Macro Definition: TV-2-AUD-4-DVD

Now I'm not sure how temorary device selection works in this extender (Pop Dev and Push Dev are foreign concepts to me) but I would think that should work for you.

Good Luck

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
floyd1977

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Old brain... what software do I need to do the following Reply with quote

DavidEC2955 wrote:
? but what really surprised me that that it does not up-convert analog audio from the inputs to the optical digital output on the set....

The optical digital output is normally only used for digital audio from off-the-air stations received by your TV via an antenna. If you have a digital source with optical out, you will need to connect that source directly to your receiver. A lot of people don't even connect audio to their TV since they have external speakers that are of higher quality than their TV speakers.
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips - THANKS FOR THE SUGESTION WILL GIVE IT A TRY!

floyd1977 - Still kind of suprised, as with DirecTV receivers all audio comes out the optical out even if it is not dolby source..
floyd1977

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

You said, "Just got a new plasma...but what really surprised me that that it does not up-convert analog audio from the inputs to the optical digital output on the set.... "

I thought you were referring to the optical digital output on your plasma. I wasn't talking about the DirecTV receiver. When I say "digital source", I'm referring to a piece of equipment, not programming material.

It sounded like you expected to be able to connect analog sources to your TV and have your TV output via the optical out. I was trying to say that your plasma's optical out is only used to output audio from over the air stations received from an antenna connected to your TV. Your receiver is designed for switching audio. Your TV is not.

--Nathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: