JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can set top box OR Satellite receiver act as TV tuner ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravishingmannu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Can set top box OR Satellite receiver act as TV tuner ?? Reply with quote

I have traditional Coxial cable at home (No settop box required)...

To use Slingbox NTSC in my Pal region can i connect

CoAxial >>> input to >>> SET TOP BOX >>>> input to SLingbox

Will this work to use NTSC slingbox in PAL region ???
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that you don't need a STB to watch the cable at home, if that's true, don't use a STB with the Slingbox either, just connect the cable direct to the SB and use the SB tuner.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that it's a NTSC slingbox but in a PAL country so the internal tuner won't work.

Composite (yellow conector) probably won't work. S-Video has a chance but I don't know for sure. The Sling forums would be the place to check. Video can only work if the Slingbox just passes the signals through and the software renders it for the PC monitor. The NTSC tuner is not capable of decoding the PAL signal so that does not have a chance.
ravishingmannu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya ... I can watch cable without Set top box & Slingbox's internal NTSC tuner might not work ...

I wanted to use external Tuner or Settop box as DVR device and use Audio/Video out or Svideo out from tuner as input to Slingbox ...

EXternal Tuner will definately work .... Some ppl are already using that ...
But Problem with Tuner is ... They are not able to find IR compatibility with SlingBOx and are stuck to just one channel ?

If someone can test any TV tuner with SLingbox ... that would be great help ?
I will buy that tuner ?
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways to control a specific tuner: with a built-in Slingbox code or with a custom code built using JP1 tools.

For a built-in code, you'll have to know what specific make and model tuner that you need to control, then check the Slingbox setup for a matching model or check the Sling forum for other's success with that specific model.

With a custom code, almost any tuner can be controlled by creating a .bin file using JP1 resources and tools. You have to name a specific tuner, then explore the availability of built-in codes or .bin's or JP1 upgrades created by others. There is only a very small chance that anyone here is going to know what tuners are available in the location where you are going to be using the Slingbox. If it is a cable system, then you may not have a choice. You usually have to use the provided box. Third party devices might not be usable on a specific cable system.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you buy a remote controlled tuner that does indeed work with your Slingbox, your next move would be to either buy a JP1 learning remote, or build an IR capture cable which would work with CaptureIR. With either of those tools, you could then capture the signals from the tuner remote and build an upgrade that you could load into the Slingbox.

I'm curious how you ended up with an NTSC Slingbox in a PAL country, as there are PAL Slingboxes available.
ravishingmannu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irony is SlingMedia manufacturer of SlingBox has a development office in India ... but is not yet retailed in India ..... Reason is Poor ISP service till now ... but its improving fast

Its Just that I have to import it from UK or US.... have no friend coming from UK ... and have a buddy coming from US in a month time.

Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the Slingbox and the TV tuner, if you find that none of the codes that come with the Slingbox work the tuner, let me know as I can arrange for you to send your remote to the local SlingMedia guys in India who can capture the signals and create a BIN file for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: