JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiple devices on one SlingRemote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slingmoverpro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Multiple devices on one SlingRemote Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is any way to control multiple devices from one Sling Remote? I am wanting to use my reciever (unsupported Onkyo TX-SR601) as a cmoponent switch so I can have more than one HD input on my SB Pro. I was hoping I could use the "AUX", "TV", "VCR".... currently dethered buttons on my "SA Explorer 8300" Sling Remote.....then reconfigure the numerical buttons for the standard apple remote for an AppleTV. I think it is possible if I use the RM (Remote Master) program......I guess I was just wondering if anyone has done something like this....any tips on accomplishing this would be great! Thanks in advance!

Posted this on the Slingcommunity already with no replys...any help would be great! Thanks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Slingbox, but as I understand it, the Slingbox can only control one "device". Of course, if different functions of that "device" operate different equipment on your rack, then the Slingbox doesn't know or care, right?

The JP1 tools allow you to create such a "Combined" Device in RM using the "Device Combiner" protocol. Using the DC protocol, you can, for example, have in a single device upgrade the numerical buttons controlling your TV, the transport buttons controlling your DVD player, the volume and arrow buttons controlling ou receiver, and some other buttons controlling your AV Switcher.

The problem is that such an upgrade requires, in addition to the DC Device Upgrade, also a Protocol Upgrade. It's no problem generating that upgrade, RM does it for you, but I believe that the Slingbox has a somewhat limited memory, and cannot handle an upgrade as large as the DC Protocol upgrade would have to be. (I don't know what the exact maximum upgrade memory limit is on Slingboxes, but it's not very much).

You can certainly try and if it doesn't work, you have lost nothing but a few hours.

Depending upon the specific devices you are trying to combine, there may exist some other smaller "combo" protocols that allow you to merge multiple devices, but usually that requires the devices to be from the same manufacturer to get a likelihood of them using the same, or related protocols. If you provide the specific upgrades or setup codes (i.e. upload them to the diagnosis area and/or provide a link) you are trying to combine, somebody may be able to help you, but that would be an outside possibility.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
slingmoverpro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info....I guess what I was hoping was that I could just edit what IR signal is being emitted for the effected buttons on the supported SA Explorer 3800 SlingRemote....as opposed to uploading a whole new remote. I noticed that the binary for the signals on the apple remote were here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5317
I guess more specifically, without dowloading the program myself, I was wondering if the RM program would allow me to replace the existing binary code for some of the buttons, and trick the Slingbox into controling more than one device without it really knowing it!?!?!?

I guess I will just DL the program and see what the options are in regards to editing certian buttons....unless you know the answer to this question? Wink
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot edit any built-in setup codes within the SB. You can CREATE an upgrade that exactly matches it, and then assign different functions to one or two of the buttons, but as I said above, those functions will likely require a different protocol than the one for your SA box, so you would have to COMBINE an SA upgrade with your AV switcher upgrade using the DC protocol.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
slingmoverpro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I contacted Slingmedia's Customer Support. They didn't know the max file size allowed for one SlingRemote. They told me to E-mail the developers, and maybe they would have a better answer. So fingers crossed, hopefully they will respond positively.

If they respond that the SB Pro supports the "Device Combiner" Protocol and you think there is enough space to accept the hybrid remote....do you think there might be someone that could help me if I get into any road blocks?

Thanks so much for the replies!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
If you provide the specific upgrades or setup codes (i.e. upload them to the diagnosis area and/or provide a link) you are trying to combine, somebody may be able to help you,

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: