JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote simple doesn't work after upload

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Remote simple doesn't work after upload Reply with quote

I can't figure out what could be wrong here. I new to all this so maybe I'm still missing something.

I tried to create a few device upgrades for my JP1.2 remote Kameleon URC-8206 (I have a cable from DIY). None of them worked so I obviously thought that there was something wrong with them. I got the command codes by learning from the original remotes, so I first thought of a bad learn, but that didn't seem to be the case. After some experimenting I found that even the following simple sequence of tasks don't work:

- Manufacturer's reset on the URC-8206
- I learn a few buttons from the original remote, these work on the URC-8206.
- I then download those to IR, version 7.00 beta 3.
- I upload to the URC-8206 what I just downloaded from it and now these learned codes don't work anymore.

If I do a download of that which I just uploaded that download will be equal to the first download, no differences in the saved IR files, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the upload.

Even worse is that I did a 'backup download' of the content of the URC-8206 before I started doing anything. This download contains one device upgrade (from the UEI web site) and some key moves and learned signals. I can upload this file back to the URC-8206 and it will work just the way it used to, so in this case there are no problems doing an upload.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you upload your .ir file to the Diagnosis section, so that we can have a look at it ?
Which device are the learned codes supposed to control ?
pluto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded the following zip-file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4202

It contains two IR-files:

- stereoTestLearned.ir with a few buttons learned on the AUD device from the remote for my ministereo system (Sony MHC-RG33) after having done a 981-reset on the URC-8206. The only buttons learned in the example is power, ch+, ch-, vol+ and vol-. I didn't learn anymore for this example as it doesn't matter what I learn, the result is allways the same. Those learned buttons function as they should on the URC-8206 after the learning.

- stereoTestLearnedUploadDownload.ir is the data downloaded from the remote after again having done a 981-reset and uploaded the data in stereoTestLearned.ir. After the upload the learned buttons don't work (well, in this case power, vol+ and vol- work but not ch+ and ch-. The same goes for anything I do this way, some buttons work, some don't and some send a different signal than the one I learned originally.

I cant' see any difference between the two files, but maybe that just me.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the 2 .ir files and they are identical.
The learned button appear clearly as Sony12 and Sony20 protocols.
They are listed as being learned for the VCR device. In your post you state AUD. Are you sure your learned them on the AUD device ?

Anyway, I tried to load your .ir file in my 8206 and learn the vol+/vol- of the VCR mode with another remote.
I can confirm your problem, the codes sent are those of the original VCR device (RC5 protocol) and not the learned ones.
I can not explain why this happens, maybe an expert could give some hints.

On the other hand, with the JP1 tools, you only need the learning functions to tell what protocol and codes your original remote is using, to create a corresponding device in RM. You do not need the learned codes then.
pluto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for verifying that I'm not going totally insane Very Happy

I thought I learned them on the AUD device, but maybe I just messed it up for this example and actually learned them on the VCR device, can't remember. I'll have to check that when I get home tonight.

I know that I only need the learned functions to tell the protocol and codes to create a device, and actually don't need the learned functions then. The only reason that I tried to upload the learned functions back to the 8206 was because I couldn't get the device, that I was creating, to work and I couldn't see any obvious mistakes with it, or the learned codes. So I thought, maybe the learned codes are wrong anyway, that IR for some reason can't interpret them correctly, even thought they look fine. Therefore I uploaded the learned functions back and found out that not even they are working.

Obviously IR and the 8206 work together as at least in this thread http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7685 jnut has managed to create a wav-file via IRToWav that works, as you know. I'll try to do it that way, and see if that at least works.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wav interface is just another way to upload an .ir file to your remote, it will not bring any benefits compared to your (apparently) working JP1.2 cable.

Could you upload your attempts at creating a device to the diagnosis section, so that someone can see what the problem is ?

I have succesfully programmed my 8206 with 5 different devices thanks to IR, RM and a DIY cable, so there is no reason you can not achieve it.

I will continue to investigate the problem with the learned codes, there might a problem with IR itself or the .RDF file for the 8206.

Last edited by aberguerand on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have investigated further and the problem lies in the 10211021(URC-8206_Kameleon).rdf file.
The following line should be added to the General section :
Code:
LearnedDevBtnSwapped=Yes

I have uploaded a corrected version here.
This explains why the codes you learned for the AUD device were listed under the VCR device.
With that correction, I could successfully emit your learned codes with my remote. You will have to relearn them or edit the learned codes in IR, as the ones in the .ir file you uploaded will now be listed under the CBL/SAT device.
pluto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alain. I really don't know why I didn't notice that the codes were listed under the wrong device, guess I just wasn't paying attention Embarassed

Is there by the way any newer specs (or any newer info) of the RDF than the RDF3 documents and its addendum? They have no mention of e.g. LearnedDevBtnSwapped. A search of the forum helped (and would have helped with my problem also, had I known the right words to use) but there seems to be quite a few things that aren't in the specs.

Now back to the original problem of the device not working to see if can fix it myself, or if I will need help with that also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: