JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Source for JP1 in quantity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Source for JP1 in quantity Reply with quote

I'm making a new doodad that is controlled by IR. I can program a JP1 to do be the remote or go source a custom remote. JP1's may be the less expensive option.

Can someone suggest a readily avail JP1 remote and a place to get them? Cheaper the better. Simpler the better. Typically the end user will use the JP1 to "teach" their higher end programmable.

I'd like to stay with something that does not require the additional eeprom if possible, and something that will more likely be around a while.

Buy 10 at a time.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're better of with JP1.2 rather than JP1.

If I understand you correctly, you would be doing the programming and shipping the remote, not the cable, to your customers (so the slightly higher cost of a JP1.2 cable vs. JP1 isn't a big deal).

There seem to be several online sources for the 8820 at bargain prices. I expect the 6820 would cost a little less through official channels (if you can buy that way). For your purposes, I think there is no functional difference between the 8820 and 6820.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 10 all you need or would you be looking to buy bulk quantities (eg, units of 100 or more) later?
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Is 10 all you need or would you be looking to buy bulk quantities (eg, units of 100 or more) later?
The device being controlled is being built in groups of 25. Hard to say how many will sell, wish I knew. And hard to say how many will want a remote since I am providing the Pronto and HTM files, and some will use RS232 vs. IR. But I expect many will need a remote, Maybe 80-90%. Hoping for sales of 100/year of the device. Looking at OEM agreements so could be higher, never know.

Last edited by shorton on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I think you're better of with JP1.2 rather than JP1.

If I understand you correctly, you would be doing the programming and shipping the remote, not the cable, to your customers (so the slightly higher cost of a JP1.2 cable vs. JP1 isn't a big deal).

There seem to be several online sources for the 8820 at bargain prices. I expect the 6820 would cost a little less through official channels (if you can buy that way). For your purposes, I think there is no functional difference between the 8820 and 6820.
John: Thanks, I poked around alittle and only see them in the $20 range with shipping. I'm hoping for much less than that if there's any way possible. Maybe Rob can help there.

A long, long time ago I tracked the buggers down from distribution sources but don't remember it being a "deal" and ended up getting what I needed from Best Buy (6131's IIIRC).

But, that is correct, I will program, include with device when shipped to customer. I woudl be happy to buy a new cable but I cringe to think of figuring out that software again <big smile>. I know I can count on help getting over that hump here. As I'm swamped, I would be interested in "subbing out" the getting it all ready to do (hold my hand) to some good forum member with more time than I.
kupakai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be as stable source as you might like, but you can usually find Comcast URC-1067 remotes in large quantities in ebay. For example currently, there's:

19 remotes here
50 remotes here

URC-1067 has 1k memory and is JP1.2. You just have to be careful, since there are several different models that look similar, like the URC-1057 which doesn't have the PIP buttons on the bottom, but more importantly, is a JP1.1 remote, I think (which may still work for your purpose).[/url]
shorton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea, but I think it would make me look to cheap Smile to include a comcast remote. If I'm not going to buy a device specific remote, I need to at least use a generic one. And it does need to be new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: