JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with ReplayTV 5040 remote
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Help with ReplayTV 5040 remote Reply with quote

I am currently using the remote that came with my replay 5040 and everything works great with the extender installed. The only thing I don't like about this remote is where the volume buttons are located. SO...

Is it possible to remap the right and left arrow buttons to volume up and down except for when you would be using the replayguide or channel guide? Is there any way to set some kind of toggle bit so they would be used for volume unless you are doing some other function with the remote? Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into doing something similar to this in the past to fix the SELECT/ENTER Switcheroo problem, but while it's easy enough to trap when you enter the CG or RG, it's not so easy to trap when you exit the guide.

For example, if you are in the CG, you highlight a show that's currently playing and you press SELECT, you will leave the guide and start watching the live show. On the other hand, if the show hasn't started yet, pressing the SELECT button will invoke a little pop-up menu. From there you might select "exit" which would bring you back to the guide, or you might select "tune to channel 32" which would not. So, when would you cancel the VOLUME/ARROW switch?

ya see
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filebug,

Have you considered a 6131m ? It is about the same size as the replay remote but has 17 more keys. The volume keys are right where you want them to be, and with all the extra keys you can have keys for 1,9 minute skips forward/backward, and discrete power on/off. There is a very nice extender written for it as well.

Happy Holidays,
-Steve
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the 6131 and found while the volume and select buttons are right where I want them, every other button is not. There was so many buttons on it I couldn't locate them by feel and be sure I had the right button. It's also to bad this remote doesn't have a backlight.

Rob, You're right about the trap. I was thinking maybe making the exit key a macro that would send exit and then make the arrow keys into volume. Then using the CG and RG buttons to issue their command as well as make the arrow keys function as arrows again. Then all you would have to do is hit exit to use them as volume again. Is it possible to do a keymove within the macro with this extender?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do a keymove would require that just the "P" key be held long enough for the double blink (holding any other key long may make disastrous or undesired results happen). *Maybe" a special protocol could be made to do this, I don't know. Then to exit the temporary setup, another keymove would have to be made to "erase" the one to get into it, otherwise the keymove would be "permanent". That would also eliminate use of the "P" button as a shift while in this temporary mode (or it wouldn't shift, but would rather put the remote back into "programming mode").
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R5k remote doesn't have native support for macros, but they can be created when the extender is used.

If you're happy enough to have to press the EXIT button to cancel the ARROW/VOLUME switch I think it could be done.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can the LKP protocol be used on this remote?

if so, make the long key press the replay guide button be vol up and the long key press on the channel guide button be volume down, or use two digit buttons.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a LKP of the enter key doing a toadtog that toggles a bit that acts like a shift-lock, that turn the left and right arrow buttons into volume controls?

I am probably missing the boat somewhere as if this were possible Rob or other experts would have already mentioned this. So my apologies in advance! Smile
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the LKP protocol myself, but sounds like a good idea.

Tom, if the R5k does support the LKP, how about programming the arrow buttons so that short presses work the arrow function and long presses work the volume?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I've never used the LKP protocol myself, but sounds like a good idea.
No kidding? You should just try it once just so you can see what it is like. You may really like it! I do, but then again, I am a newbie, so whadda I know. Smile
The Robman wrote:
Tom, if the R5k does support the LKP, how about programming the arrow buttons so that short presses work the arrow function and long presses work the volume?
I thought about this also, but sometimes I press the arrow buttons and hold them down to scroll through the channel or replay guide. Also, sometimes it takes a few tries up and down on volume to get it just right (I press vol+ then listen to volume, then press vol+ again, then listen, until I get it loud enough), and I thought it might be inconvenient to wait the 0.6 seconds (or whatever you set it to) several times in a row while adjusting the volume. I picked the enter key for the "volume shift-lock" as there are never any times you would want to press and hold the enter key (as opposed to say, the arrow keys or the channel keys which are useful to press and hold).

Tom,
Are you facile in the art of extenders? If you need any help, upload an IR.exe text file image of your remote (to the diagnostics folder? - I guess that is the right folder for it). They say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I am lacing up my running shoes now... Smile
JP1Files
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LKP - Good idea. I thought I read the extender didn't support them but maybe I read wrong. Away I go to do some more reading. Thanks guys!
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I'm a little confused. First can someone confirm which protocol code and upgrade code to use off the longdoublekeypress.txt? There isn't one listed for the replay 5000 remotes.
Next, I paste in the correct device and protocols.
Then, make the two keymoves. I'm going to try the RG and CG buttons to control tv volume when the key is held down.
Now do I calc the hex code of the RG/CG buttons or the vol+/vol- buttons?

Keymoves are setup as follows
bound key
device: replay
key: channel_guide
device type: vcr
setup code: 1106
hex cmd: ???

Am I right so far? Where do I go from here? Thanks!

btw - After looking up the word, you can see I am not facile. Smile
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filebug wrote:
OK guys, I'm a little confused. First can someone confirm which protocol code and upgrade code to use off the longdoublekeypress.txt? There isn't one listed for the replay 5000 remotes.
this is the first big hurdle, and I am too much of a newbie to answer it. ldkp-1.3.zip, in the extender folder, uploaded by Hal I believe, says it supports 1994, 2104, 2116, 2133, 6012, 6131, tivo. It is worth trying. Smile
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the LDKP protocol is remote-specific. If there isn't protocol code for the R5K listed, then it's not supported at this time.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filebug wrote:
Now do I calc the hex code of the RG/CG buttons or the vol+/vol- buttons?
download the extenderCodeCalc.zip from the extender folder. And you would use the hex code of the vol+/vol- buttons I think. For the toadtogs and the lkps, you use the hex codes of the buttons you want pressed. (as opposed to regular keymoves, where you use the efcs or hex codes of the functions you want, which you can look up on the function sheet of KM.)

if you need a hand, please upload an IR.txt copy of what you have to the diagnostics folder. i'll take a shot at it (unless one of the advanced or expert users beats me to it!) Smile

Happy Kwanza,
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: