JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moving buttons -- physically, not logically
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Moving buttons -- physically, not logically Reply with quote

Has anyone had any success with cutting the rubber button sheet apart and moving the buttons around? I just got a 6131, and I really wish the pause button was under the play button instead of the record.

It would also be nice if I could combine the buttons from two remotes into one, like removing the CBL/SAT device button and replacing it with a second DVD button.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't wait to see how the "experts" deal with this one!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly cut and move buttons that are the same size and shape.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
cut and move buttons
I'd say that's the easy part. The hard part would be remembering what the "original" button is for programming purposes. I suppose you could make a modified RDF but then you'd have to remember to do it any time it's updated in the future.
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let's say that I wanted to swap the record and pause buttons. In the RDF, there's this:

[Buttons]
Pause=$0F,
"record":REC=$10,

Would I just swap the $0F and $10, or do I need to edit another section too?

More questions...

What's the meaning of the values on the left and right of the colon, and why do some buttons have only one value?

What do the [ButtonMaps] and [DigitMaps] sections control?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsevinsk wrote:
What's the meaning of the values on the left and right of the colon, and why do some buttons have only one value?

The two values are there to smooth the transition when you change the model of remote for an existing upgrade in RemoteMaster.

Each button has an actual name (for display in the GUI of IR or RM while that remote is selected) and it has a generic name. The use of the two names allows RM to know when a button on one model corresponds to a button on another model, even if the actual names differ.

Having only one value could mean:
All remotes that have a button corresponding to this button use this one name.
or
No one got around yet to the edits across multiple rdf files to make this button correspond to differently named buttons in other models.

jsevinsk wrote:
What do the [ButtonMaps] and [DigitMaps] sections control?

[ButtonMaps] The button definition section of a device upgrade gives only the definitions, not the buttons. The buttons are implied by a positional system (potentially different per device type) built into the firmware of that model remote. ButtonMaps tells RM and IR the sequence used in that system. Since device types might or might not share the sequence, there is a level of indirection: Device type to map index then map index to button sequence.

[DigitMaps] In each model of remote there are a bunch of definition sets for digits. If the ten digits of an upgrade perfectly match one of those built-in definition sets, the upgrade can be smaller by referring to the built-in set instead of defining the digits itself. DigitMaps tells which sets are built-in on this model and (positionally) what the code number is for each built-in set.
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so setting these up right would reduce the number of times I see the "lost function assignments" message every time I switch remotes with RemoteMaster? Hey, I'm all for that. If I wanted to fix some of these RDFs (at least the ones that I deal with), where can I find the list of the "generic" names for the buttons?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsevinsk wrote:
Oh, so setting these up right would reduce the number of times I see the "lost function assignments" message every time I switch remotes with RemoteMaster?

Only if there is some correspondence that the RDF files fail to identify.

Most lost function assignments are because the selected remote really doesn't have buttons corresponding to some of the buttons in the previously selected remote.

The user should always review the buttons sheet after changing models and usually the user should make changes. The correspondence process is only for situations where the meaning of a button is the same and the name different.
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just switching between my 8820 and 6131 causes over 20 buttons to be lost. And it's mostly things like VOL+ vs Vol+, RWD vs Rewind, etc. I don't know why it lost Up, Down, Left, and Right, because those are the same for both remotes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend that you change the signature for the remote where you've moved the buttons. For example, if this is for the URC-6131, I would recommend changing the signature from "PVR0PVR0" to "PVR0PVR1" (or something like that).

To do this, first you would make a copy of the RDF and change the first 8 digits of it's name, then you would do the edits that you've been discussing. To edit the signature in the remote itself, download from the remote using IR.exe then edit the data in the Raw Data panel. The sig is at address $0002. To change the sig from "PVR0PVR0" to "PVR0PVR1" all you would need to do is edit the data at address $0009, changing it from 0x30 to 0x31.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to cut the membrane, keep the Pause & Rec keys attached to one another, and then flip positions. You will need to trim from the outer edge to the pause key so it can sit next to stop key, once flipped.

A single key by itself doesn't stay in place that well, if you ever had a parrot in house you would know. Smile

Last edited by MaskedMan on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
A single key be itself doesn't stay in place that well, if you ever had a parrot in house you would know. Smile

I have a feeling that there's an interesting story here that you're not telling!!! Smile
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even thought of buying a sacrificial 6820 or 8820 remote and transplanting the whole transport button section into the 6131 because those remotes have the pause button right under play. (Why is the 6131 different???) I also want to move the replay and advance buttons toward the center so that they are right above the play button.
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
MaskedMan wrote:
A single key be itself doesn't stay in place that well, if you ever had a parrot in house you would know. Smile

I have a feeling that there's an interesting story here that you're not telling!!! Smile

I want to hear the story.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
MaskedMan wrote:

What MaskedMan actually wrote:
A single key be itself doesn't stay in place that will, if you ever had a parrot in house you would know. Smile

Obviously lapsing into Long-John Silver mode. Could this have anything to do with the recent ship-wreck off England's South Coast?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: