JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question regarding 6131NW modding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Question regarding 6131NW modding. Reply with quote

Thanks to Tommy Tyler. I have managed to get the case apart on a new 6131nw. When I look inside I see the spot for the 6 pin header but I don't see a spot for an eeprom to go. I'm just a dumb old mechanical guy who usually uses all the information that you smart guys come up with to do any mods. I searched and didn't find any information that is directly related to the 6131nw. Is this going to require some creative jury-rigging? I wish I had the knowledge to figure all the trace stuff out and answer my own question but pipes are so much easier for me to figure out. I saw the post from Robman saying that he hasn't started modding the 6131nw yet and he prefers the old 6131. Well I have this one now and figured I would give it a go. It's only $13 at Walmart. The worst thing that could happen is I'm out that plus the header and eeprom price. As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a spot labeled U2 with 8 solder pads on the PCB. It should be rather small as most remotes use surface-mount EEPROM's.
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a spot that looks like it could be where the eeprom goes. 8 pads that have solder bumps on them. It isn't labelled though. Now the question is how to determine the orientation of the eeprom to prevent installing it backwards. I don't like the 50/50/90 thing. It always works out that I install something the wrong way first. Maybe I should decide, change it 180 and install it. With my luck that would be the one time my first guess was right.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read this?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see the post but did not follow it to the information on the 6011, 6012w because the remote was different. I did look at it now that you brought it up and it looks like it should prevent me from making a mistake provided the orientation is the same for the 6131nw and the 6011, 6012w for eeprom. To bad there are no pictures posted for the mod. I may have to make some of the mod as I do it. Then make a good title for people to search so they aren't asking my question again. Thanks for the help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four spots that are tied together by the traces are for pins 1 thru 4.
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robman,
I've got 10 eeproms on the way and the pin headers. I figure I'll make up a bunch and either give them away as presents or keep them all for myself. You never know when you'll need a spare.Smile
shorton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I was using the old 6011 remotes but it's been a while since I needed one and those are more scarce, as I'm sure you know.

So I got the 6131n which is fine with me. But I was used to the 6011 mod which required a JP1 jumper to be installed. I see no obvious place for a jumper on the 6131. Is a jumper required on the 6131n mod, or only the eeprom and header?

Thanks,
Scott
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw something on this when I was searching the forum. I know that no jumper is required for the 6131nw which is just walmarts model of the 6131n. Walmart has this remote for under ten dollars now.
jsevinsk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these remotes. Is there anyone who sells the EEPROM and 6-pin header as a mod kit?
sesummers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsevinsk wrote:
I just bought one of these remotes. Is there anyone who sells the EEPROM and 6-pin header as a mod kit?

I purchased 10 of each from Mouser. They were cheap and came in a few days. Here's the relevant info from my order:

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORDERED  STOCK NUMBER          SHIPPED      PRICE        EXTENDED
     10  579-24LC16B-I/SN           10      0.350            3.50
         Microchip Serial EEP
         2kx8 - 2.5V         

10  538-10-89-7062             10      0.310            3.10
         Molex C-Grid Connect
         VERT BRKAWAY HDR 6P

SHIPPING INFORMATION
FOB: SHP POINT
MERCHANDISE             6.60
HANDLING                0.00
FREIGHT                 3.07
TAX                     0.00
                 -----------
TOTAL                  $9.67
[/code]

I purchased and converted 8 of the 6131n remotes purchased from Overstock.com for less than $10 each. Took less than 2 hours.

A recommendation: use a thin putty knife, with a blade an inch or so wide, to open the sides. By about the fourth unit, I was snapping them open in well under a minute, with no visible marks at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: