JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with Extender 8810W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Problem with Extender 8810W Reply with quote

I've loaded the 3.1 extender for my model. I've merged my old file with the new, just loaded the extender file, loaded an example from the troubleshooting area of the jp1 yahoo site forum. No matter what I do, learned comes up saying N/A under IR.exe. So all of the learned codes are lost, and the remote won't let me learn any new codes. When I restore my old configuration, learned comes back.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: "The force is strong in this one." Reply with quote

Greg T wrote:
No matter what I do, learned comes up saying N/A under IR.exe.
Greg,

You are not crazy. The extender does amazing things. One of the things it does, which is a feature, not a bug Smile , is to zap the learning function. It then allows you to use the memory on the eeprom that was being for learned signals for other things. For example, you can use it for more device upgrades and keymoves/macros. To quote Martha Stewart, who will soon be baking cookies from jail, "this is a good thing".

Not having learning on your extender is really not a bad thing. As you know, with JP1 you can usually save space by creating upgrades rather than using a bunch of learned signals that reside in your learning memory. To create the upgrade in the first place you sometimes need to use the learning feature, which you can do by deactivating the extender, do your learns, create your upgrade from what you learned in the learns, get rid of the learns, and reactivate your extender.

There are other things the extender does in addition to zapping the learn function. These are described in the readme file that comes with the extender.

Happy Holidays,
JP1Files
Greg T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn Darn Darn. I guess I need to learn how to make my learned codes into device codes. Thank you.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg T wrote:
I guess I need to learn how to make my learned codes into device codes.
You sound a little nervous. Smile If you need a jumpstart on putting together a KM device upgrade, upload your IR.exe text file (the one with all the learned keys under the learn tab) to the diagnostics folder at yahooJP1 and I'll take a stab at a device upgrade to get you started. Unless someone else beats me to it. Smile
JP1Files
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg T wrote:
Darn Darn Darn. I guess I need to learn how to make my learned codes into device codes. Thank you.

Heh, I had this same issue. What I would like to see with the merge routine is, instead of just throwing them out, take the learned codes and output them to a text file, listing the Mode/Key it was learned to and the Device type, Sub-Device,OBC, Hex.

So at least this way, I wouldn't have to go back to learn them all over again, to get that info.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck_IV wrote:
Greg T wrote:

So at least this way, I wouldn't have to go back to learn them all over again, to get that info.

You don't ... IF you saved your IR remote dump before overwriting it!Shocked Surprised After learning to the remote, and downloading into IR, you should always save your learned IR download, so you can return to look at the data again as necessary. Then it doesn't matter what you have at any given time in the remote. That's the beauty of JP1. For the cost of storing a couple dozen byte .txt file, you can save ALL of your learned signals and device upgrade information indefinitely! You just need an effective naming system to keep track of them.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Chuck_IV wrote:
Greg T wrote:

You don't ... IF you saved your IR remote dump before overwriting it!Shocked Surprised After learning to the remote, and downloading into IR, you should always save your learned IR download, so you can return to look at the data again as necessary. Then it doesn't matter what you have at any given time in the remote. That's the beauty of JP1. For the cost of storing a couple dozen byte .txt file, you can save ALL of your learned signals and device upgrade information indefinitely! You just need an effective naming system to keep track of them.

But, even if I save it(which I do), during that initial changeover to an extender, I either have to keep going back and forth to get the learned codes, or take the time to write them down by hand, to have them to enter in a key moves in the extender. If it's dumped to a txt file, I can simply print it and have it right there for reference. Either that or maybe IR could add a print function.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I asked for that a year ago or more. Can't even copy and paste to notepad. About only decent way i found was to open both IR and KM at the same time, but you gotta keep clicking on the other one to see IR after typing in KM. greg did add a print button for RM layout tab at my request tho, so that helped.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open multiple copies of IR so that you can have your working setup in one, and the learned codes in the other.

You can also use IR's Summary feature in the File menu. When the summary window opens, select and copy all the text, then paste it into Notepad to save as a text file.

It would be nice if Mr. Pauker could add the ability to save that summary directly as a text file... maybe I'll ask Santa for that for Christmas! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: