JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Decode some learned buttons?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arantius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Decode some learned buttons? Reply with quote

Okay, thanks already to those who have and will helped me. I've made some good progress. I've got my extender installed, and macros on my device buttons automatically set my TV to the right input and so forth .. it's exciting!

Now, I've got four buttons for my VCR and five or so for my cable box that the manufacturer code doesn't include. I have two of the VCR buttons working, two not, and I'm confused by the cable box codes.

So, here's an un-extended IR file with the learned buttons:
http://arantius.info/ir/8910.ir
And here's the extended IR file that I'm working with;
http://arantius.info/ir/8910_ex1_arantius.ir

For the VCR, the two buttons that worked (learned in info and L1) were sub-device 0. The other two (learned in guide and menu) were sub-device 1. Of the latter two, one performed the wrong function and one nothing. I tried setting up a keymove with the EFC displayed in IR for the learned button, and got those results.

Now, for the cable box, I managed to get the buttons in L1-L3 working as keymoves under the extender. But, the two under f.rew and f.fwd I can't.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Decode some learned buttons? Reply with quote

arantius wrote:
For the VCR, the two buttons that worked (learned in info and L1) were sub-device 0. The other two (learned in guide and menu) were sub-device 1.

To do keymoves for sub-device 1 you need a helper setup code. Other UEI models include VCR/0454, and could use that. But the 8910 doesn't include VCR/0454.

The 8910 includes VCR/1062, 1162, 1262, and 1362. Any of those could be used for the subdevice 1 keymoves, but they would need two byte hex commands rather than using the EFC number. I don't have the data handy at the moment for those keymoves. But I think are upgrades posted using "Panasonic VCR Combo" protocol. With any such upgrade loaded, KM or RM could compute the two byte hex commands.

arantius wrote:

Now, for the cable box, I managed to get the buttons in L1-L3 working as keymoves under the extender. But, the two under f.rew and f.fwd I can't.

I don't understand what you intended with those keymoves. You have CBL/CD and CBL/AUX keymoves defined matching those two learned signals from the other file (keymoves on device select buttons are strange, but in the extender they should work). You have CBL/F.Rew and CBL/F.Fwd keymoves defined but they don't match the learned signals.
arantius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Decode some learned buttons? Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

The 8910 includes VCR/1062, 1162, 1262, and 1362. Any of those could be used for the subdevice 1 keymoves, but they would need two byte hex commands rather than using the EFC number. I don't have the data handy at the moment for those keymoves. But I think are upgrades posted using "Panasonic VCR Combo" protocol. With any such upgrade loaded, KM or RM could compute the two byte hex commands.

Can you please elaborate on how that would be done?
I've given it a shot, but not succeeded.

johnsfine wrote:

I don't understand what you intended with those keymoves. You have CBL/CD and CBL/AUX keymoves defined matching those two learned signals from the other file (keymoves on device select buttons are strange, but in the extender they should work).

Yes that was intended. Their location works, and I'm never going to use a CD or AUX device.

johnsfine wrote:

You have CBL/F.Rew and CBL/F.Fwd keymoves defined but they don't match the learned signals.

For the first three that the learn tab showed "XX or XX or XX" the first XX worked. It didn't for these, so I tried the second. That didn't work either, so I gave up and asked here.

Given the data for CBL/f.rev and CBL/f.fwd in the learning tab, how do I translate that to a keymove?

I'm perfectly happy to read on my own if this is already explained somewhere, but I haven't found anywhere that explains it yet.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keymoves on the device keys look right to me. I can't suggest anything better.

I'll try to find time to load your .ir file into my 8910 and use captureIr to see what is really sent.

I'm still not in the right place to check those Panasonic VCR Combo hex commands. I'll try to find time for that too when I'm in the right place.

In both cases unless some other expert jumps in here with the answer first.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Decode some learned buttons? Reply with quote

arantius wrote:

johnsfine wrote:

You have CBL/F.Rew and CBL/F.Fwd keymoves defined but they don't match the learned signals.

For the first three that the learn tab showed "XX or XX or XX" the first XX worked. It didn't for these, so I tried the second.

That looked like it was in answer to my comment about the bogus KeyMoves on CBL/F.Rew and CBL/F.Fwd. But that isn't right. Those bogus keymoves are not the second EFC numbers from those learned signals.

arantius wrote:

Given the data for CBL/f.rev and CBL/f.fwd in the learning tab, how do I translate that to a keymove?

The keymoves you have on CBL/CD and CBL/AUX are correct. So you must have tested them incorrectly. To test them I:

1) Uploaded your .ir file to my 8910
2) Pressed Power to activate the extender
3) Pressed CBL to select CBL mode
4) Pressed each of AUX and CD while the remote was aimed at my CaptureIR sensor. The two captured signals matched the two learned signals from your other .ir file.

For your VCR:

1) I started an upgrade in RM, selecting the 8910 remote and the Pansonic VCR Combo protocol, and I left the other setup data blank.

2) On the functions sheet I entered the device, subdevice and OBC for each of your two problem commands from your learned signals and RM computed the hex commands: Menu=7F 40, Guide=95 40

3) In your extender ir file I selected each of those two keymoves and pressed EDIT, then clicked Hex Cmd and added " 40" after the already correct first byte, then changed the setup code to 1162.

4) Uploaded to my 8910, activated extender, selected VCR, and tested. Both menu and guide duplicated your learned signals.
arantius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks so much, you've been extremely helpful.

As for the VCR, yes, those new codes (learned hex + $40) work! But .. ahhh, now after doing it a couple times (tried, failed, tried again for screenshots) I finally see how you set up KM, and I can get the same results. I kept trying to select a protocol on the setup tab that un-greyed-out the Device/Sub boxes there, but now I see the "byte2" column over on functions.

As for the cable: Sorry, I've clearly worded things poorly, I'll start over:

I've keymoved the original A, B, C into M1, M2, M3, those worked. I've kemoved the original page up/page down into AUX, CD, those worked.

They're much less important, but the CBL/f.fwd and CBL/f.rev buttons are the day- and day+ buttons on the original, and I haven't gotten those to work.
I've uploaded new copies of the IR files to the URLs in my original post. The only two learned left buttons in the plain 8910 are those two. Those are the two I haven't got working. All the other keymoves for CBL in the extender are OK.

All the learned signals from the cable remote provided 3 hex and 3 efc values. For the 5 working buttons, I just tried the first in the list. For these two, though, none of the three seem to work.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two learned signals were not in your first file of learned signals. They also have a device number of 28, while all the others were device 27.

The 8910 does not include the setup codes (CBL/0177, 1877 and 1977) that combine Panasonic_old devices 27 and 28.

So you need to create a device upgrade. In Remotemaster, it is very clear how to create a Panasonic_old upgrade mixing devices 27 and 28. In KM it is slightly less obvious, but still pretty easy.

For the basic functions (that you are getting from CBL/0877) that are the same across all these related setup codes, the easiest source is the CBL/0477 entry in the device4 spreadsheet. First copy that column of EFC numbers to you new upgrade, than switch to put in all the extra functions that don't match CBL/0477.
arantius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It all seems so easy now that I've finally got it worked out. How silly it seems now to miss the detail of the different device number; how complex it all seemed though, before I realized what was going on.

Just to note, to save memory I created the upgrade for my cable box, but I only put in the two buttons I needed, for just device 28. The remote's cable mode is still programmed to 0877, and I've just keymoved in those two extra buttons (from the code I defined for it, 1877).

Thank you again for your patience! I just have to go hunting for some harder to find (if they exist) discrete codes now ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: