JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mike E: 6805 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Mike E: 6805 question Reply with quote

Mike,

You're the leading 6805 expert, question for you:

Are you aware of any 6805 remote that uses the epoxy blob rather than DIP style chips? I don't need a list or example, a "yes" or "no" will work fine for what I need to know. Smile

And, since I already have your attention, what's the best way to handle the rdf for a remote that doesn't have a "Power" key? The Intuitive is one that comes to mind, and it also happens to be a 6805 chipped remote. Are there others (outside the RCA 810) that have this anomoly? Rats, that reminded me to look at the 810 rdf Evil or Very Mad

Jim
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike E: 6805 question Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Are you aware of any 6805 remote that uses the epoxy blob rather than DIP style chips? I don't need a list or example, a "yes" or "no" will work fine for what I need to know. Smile
No, at least not with the 6805 remotes we are currently aware of. I did see one long before there was a JP1 group, which I seem to recall was a Navigator of some sort, but I only had the remote for a day and I didn't note any of the particulars. All of the ones we have information on use either a 40-pin or 28-pin DIP.
jamesgammel wrote:
And, since I already have your attention, what's the best way to handle the rdf for a remote that doesn't have a "Power" key? The Intuitive is one that comes to mind, and it also happens to be a 6805 chipped remote. Are there others (outside the RCA 810) that have this anomoly?
As a practical matter, there is usually nothing really special about the "Power" key on a typical UEI remote. The Intuitive was different in that it had no power button, and power commands were mapped (via the keymap) to the device keys. In this specific case, the RDF simply needed to list the device keys in the [Buttons] section, as always, and they were also included in the [ButtonMaps] section to reflect the fact that they were in the keymaps. I'm not aware of any other UEI remote (6805 or otherwise) that works this way.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the thorough reply. I ask because the Mill3 doesn't have a power key (Button) either. According to Zackark (sp?) the "Option" key (located where the Mill4's power key resides), works more as a multi-macro key (995 command, etc (list of favorites). Also, according to him, this procedure ONLY works for the "OPTION" key; The weird thing is this remote has A,B,andC keys which *should* be Multi-macro keys. I'm working at a great disadvantage since the online manual is REALLY crappy, and couldn't find one anywhere at T-W's various sites. (Of course it would help a lot if I had the dang remote too, but that's beside the point.

How about this: Are you aware of any 6805 based remote that uses 8 continuous bytes for the signature? Or are they all split 4/4?

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
The RCU810 does have a power key, it's labelled ON/OFF.

Most of the UEI remotes that I've seen without a power key are not true universals, these remotes tend to have certain buttons set aside for one device mode (like TV-POWER, volume, channels) and the rest set aside for the main device mode.

If the device buttons on the Mil3 send the power signal, I'm guessing the setup is similar to the way the RCU810 sends signals from it's device buttons, using a sort of phantom keycode.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
According to Zackark (sp?) the "Option" key (located where the Mill4's power key resides), works more as a multi-macro key (995 command, etc (list of favorites). Also, according to him, this procedure ONLY works for the "OPTION" key; The weird thing is this remote has A,B,andC keys which *should* be Multi-macro keys.
It's possible that UEI wired the Option button as one of the MultiMacro keys, and did not provide buttons for the other two. That does not explain the A, B & C buttons, but we'll have to wait and see. In any event, it's not uncommon for these cable remotes to restrict macro creation to just a few buttons when doing it on the remote itself; some of the Navigators are this way. Macros do work on most other buttons when created in IR. And, of course, UEI's documentation may be just plain misleading.
jamesgammel wrote:
Are you aware of any 6805 based remote that uses 8 continuous bytes for the signature? Or are they all split 4/4?
None have been found so far with continuous 8-byte signatures. Some have only the 4-byte signature, and others have the 4/4 split signatures. I don't think this necessarily has to do with the 6805, but rather it reflects chronological changes in the way UEI does things.
The Robman wrote:
If the device buttons on the Mil3 send the power signal, I'm guessing the setup is similar to the way the RCU810 sends signals from it's device buttons, using a sort of phantom keycode.
That'd be my guess, too, in that they are both S3C8-based, and from the same design era at UEI. To the user, it would not appear any different from the way the Intuitive works, but it might make it more difficult to track down the phantom key codes for the RDF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: