JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List or Database of JP1, JP1.1, etc... Remotes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstrickland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: List or Database of JP1, JP1.1, etc... Remotes Reply with quote

Is there anywhere a list or database of JP1, JP1.1, etc., remotes? I suppose that for starters, one could look at the Robman's offerings, but of course, he doesn't sell every JP1 remote. Likewise, you can look at universalremote.com, but AFAIK even URC's own website does not list all of the JP1 remotes currently available. I am interested in trying to compare what is currently available.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how you define "currently available". JP1 remotes come and go as far as official availability goes, but you can often still get discontinued remotes on ebay, etc. Plus, what about all the remotes that have JP1 abilities that get shipped with stereos or TVs or ReplayTVs, etc?

Are you looking for a list of all JP1 remotes that have ever existed or just the ones currently on sale at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob's last question is sort of the key one. There IS such a list as you are searching for, in the File Section>Miscellaneous>Spreadsheets subsection, and here it is.

BUT....

This spreadsheet is, like all of JP1, compiled by a member of the forum and updated when he has the time and inclination, so it is NOT necessarily a useful tool for identifying all of the NEWEST UEIC-manufactured JP1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. remotes.

If you want a list of current-production models (branded and sold by MANY different companies - OFA - note the various global sites, including the OEM sections linked at the bottom of that page, which are marketed to MANY Cable and Satellite providers, Radio Shack, and others, I'm sure), to my knowledge, none such exists.

Further, as for a list of those remotes that have been (1) identified as JP1(.x), (2) been hacked, and (3) have actual support in the JP1 tools, I would suggest that the most up-to-date place to look is in the current rdf zip file, as it lists all of the remotes that have met those three citeria, or the RM map and image files - for similar reasons. There are certainly plenty of JP1(.x) remotes out there that have not even been identified by this forum, much less have support. And there are new ones appearing seemingly every day. (see the thread about the "discovery" of a new JP1.3(?!) connector found over the weekend).

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
gstrickland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahemm....

Well, my thought was to do a reasonable amount of investigation before buying replacements for my aging 2116s. Somewhere on this forum is a sticky or an FAQ or something which says, more or less, "don't ask what 'the best' JP1 remote is," -- and wisely so. Instead of asking what's the best, or the best under $100 or whatever, I thought I'd try to study up. Whether I'm buying a car, computer, toaster or whatever, I usually go looking for lists and reviews to start my investigation.

FWIW, I reckon that of the universe of JP1 remotes, the Robman's list of what he *sells* is probably a de facto list of the best, since he probably has seen just about everything and is choosing to carry what he considers the best value. And considering his prices compared to what you can buy the same models elsewhere, he can't be making jack ~hit on his sales -- more like a calling than a business. But be that as it may, I still thought I'd try to read up. At least, that was my goal.

Thanks for your time and patience.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from hanging out on these fora for a while, I'd suggest that the closest "replacement" for a 2116 is the 8910 (I have each).

Other alternatives, with BRIEF comments:
9910 (8910 with RF extender);
8811 - basically the same but without the LCD screen;
6131 no LCD, no learning, but dedicated PVR keys, smaller and easier to handle than 8910 (6131n is identical electrically, but different shape and layout) - neither are JP1-ready out-of-the-box, but Rob sells modified ones at a very competitive price;

I can't say much about any of the various Kameleons, as they are GENERALLY unpopular amongst the hackers here, but still may be your cup of tea. I guess the 9960B01 is OK (larger EEPROM, but no extender as of yet). The 9960 and 9690 and various current Radio Shack Kameleons all appear (to me) similar - no extenders yet (AFAIK) for any of them.

As for the JP1.2 remotes, the 8820 and 10820 seem to be growing in stature, but being relatively new, their support is still evolving.

Me, I'd go with a remote with mature hacking support, so the 8910 (for learning) or 6131 (for handling) would be the ones I'd focus in on, and Rob's prices for both can't be beat.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: List or Database of JP1, JP1.1, etc... Remotes Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
Likewise, you can look at universalremote.com, but AFAIK even URC's own website does not list all of the JP1 remotes currently available. I am interested in trying to compare what is currently available.

BTW, maybe it was just a slip, but remotes from universalremote.com are NOT JP1 (nor JP1.x) remotes. UEI makes JP1 remotes and sold under various brands like One for All, OfA-Europe (which has a completely different line of remotes from the US brand), and some Radio Shack remotes. They also make various remotes that come with other equipment, like some STB's, and a few audio equipment.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstrickland wrote:
Ahemm.... Well, my thought was to do a reasonable amount of investigation before buying replacements for my aging 2116s.

A-ha, you're just doing your "consumer reports" bit. Knowing WHY you're asking gets us half the way to knowing HOW to answer. From your first post, I thought that you were trying to compile some sort of list as a JP1 exercise.

Remotes like the 15-1994 and 15-2116 are hard to replace with OFA remotes because IMHO both RS models are very well designed. But, the bulk of the appeal of those two RS remotes is in their physical appearance. From a functionality POV, the OFA remotes are better than the RS models. While the URC-8910 might not be as "pretty" as the 15-2116, it has an almost identical code database and functionality set (eg, both remotes allow macros on the device buttons) and it has many more buttons. The 15-2116 has no spare buttons for macros, etc whereas the URC-8910 has 7 spare buttons (officially for macros or learning).

Thanks for the props regarding the list of remotes that I sell, but keep in mind that two factors that dictate whether I carry a remotes are (a) can I get it and (b) will it sell. As much as I'd like to be able to carry the 15-1994 and URC-7800 (Cinema 7), both remotes have been discontinued. The 15-1994 is impossible to find, so I can't carry that one. I did have a source for the URC-7800 at one point, but it was a slow seller so when a chance came along to unload all of my stock of it, I took it. The URC-8910 has proven to be a very popular seller (since they replaced the donut ring, that is) so I will try to carry that model as long as possible. The URC-6131 was a very popular remote for quite a while, but sales have slowed down on that model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: