JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

dumb questions about Millenium 3 remote
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n2deep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: dumb questions about Millenium 3 remote Reply with quote

Found this forum a couple of days ago - lot's of good info but still over my head right now.

I want to ask two dumb questions.

1. I have a remote for a motorola digital cable box which turns out to have a jp1 connector. It controls my tv, the cable box and has a third button for vcr. Can I get it to control the volume on my ht system?

2. I have an 8910. Can I get the device keys to change the source on my ht system without using an extender?

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Scientific Atlanta 8000HD (dvr)
Philips HDTV
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: dumb questions Reply with quote

n2deep wrote:
1. I have a remote for a motorola digital cable box which turns out to have a jp1 connector. It controls my tv, the cable box and has a third button for vcr. Can I get it to control the volume on my ht system?
It'll be hard for us to give a specific answer to this question without more details.

What make & model is yout HT system? Have you found a setup code that operates the HT system?

What is the model number of the remote? There is usually some identifying number either on the back or inside the battery compartment.
n2deep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ht system is a jvc th-m45. I've not found this specific system in the lists but I found it works the rudimentary controls if I set the recv/amp to 0074.

The cable box remote has two stickers in the battery compartment. G00702 and 3MBxxxxW00.
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cable box remote wouldn't happen to look like the one on the far left here: http://www.urcsupport.com ? If so, there's no RDF for it (yet) and a starter rdf will need to be made. You can get help here for that. I suspect from the sticker it's a Millenium 3. Use IR and download the eeprom and post it in "diagnosis" and someone will at least decipher the signature.

Jim

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Your cable box remote wouldn't happen to look like the one on the far left here: http://www.urcsupport.com ?
Hi Jim,
I just tried your link. It did not work for me. Maybe something is wrong with my system, or maybe the site is down right now, or .. is that the right url?

Cheers,
Steve, FACFR
(Fellow of the American College of Forum Regulars Smile )

edit: google says your link is correct and I can view the cached google page but I can't get to the page directly for some reason.
JP1Files

Last edited by usblipitor on Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
n2deep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You're right. It is the one on the far left. I've ordered a jp1 cable and will be able to post the eeprom download soon.
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I just tried it again twice, once in a new browser to make sure it wasn't just "cached" and both times it worked. In the last five minutes, The site hasn't "been down" that I could see. Obviously n2deep was also able to get there. If you still can't, try adding a "/) at the end of the url.
FWIW, the Mill4 stickers (if any) will use "4MxxxByy" designation so it really wasn't too hard to make a quick guess. With one less device, it'd be interesting to see how they setup the eeprom for this one. Just a stab in the dark, the signature may be something like "Milxmilx", but we'll see when he posts an IR dump. I'm guessing with a little button pushing, a full-fledged RDF could be made in a short time. Gee, Nils, aren't you excited?

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, there's a decent chance this will support a "hidden" fourth device. n2deep: are you comfy with taking it apart and either reporting or posting a pix of both sides of the pcb? Nils may also need a decent pix of the remote with the cover slid down or removed to do the image map for RM support. I'd suggest with cover removed.

Jim
n2deep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I'll take it apart tonight and post the pics.

Steve
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n2deep,

I saw the pix at urcsupport. and the key layout on the bottom half is much different than used with the Mill4's. When you post the pix, make sure the S0x numbers are good and readable, even if it takes 2 pix to make sure. Whatever is printed on the PCB opposite side will also be important, especially anything giving clues as to it's version number. Are you sure that the sticker said W00 rather than B00? sometimes these stickers can get wore out or torn from batteries.

Also, did you happen to get a manual with the remote? According to the ueic site, there's very few features/restrictions, butit's common for the online manual to be really crappy about such details. With a list of 9xx commands in a printed manual, we'd have a head start for advising about making the rdf. I did see 990, 991, and 993 (VPT) mentioned, but nothing about 994 (keymoves), 995 (macros), 996 (channel lock to cable device), or 997 (cable lock).

Jim
n2deep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the remotes (two cable boxes). They definitely are W00 and not B00 (stickers have no wear). I'll get as much detail in the pix as possible. Thanks for the tips. I'll know where to focus...

Unfortunately, the cable company (time warner) did not give me any manuals. In the past when I changed my tv, I had to call their support folks to give me the code!

Steve
Philips HDTV
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n2deep wrote:
I've not found this specific system in the lists but I found it works the rudimentary controls if I set the recv/amp to 0074.
If this setup code allows control of the volume & mute of your HT system, then you should be able to set the cable remote up so that it controls volume & mute. This will be easier to do after you get a JP1 cable and a minimal RDF file set up, but in the meantime you could try to do a keymove on the remote itself. It's not simple to do, but take a look at some of the instuctions on Rob's site for other UEI remotes. It may not work, because many of the cable remotes restrict keymoves & macros when doing them on the remote itself. If not, then with a JP1 cable you'll be able to do it.
n2deep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the setup code 0074 on a my new 8910 remote under the receiver/amp device. When I use 0074 on the cable remote under the vcr device it doesn't drive my ht system at all. Is this because my cable remote doesn't understand 0074 or is it because 0074 isn't a vcr device code (please don't confuse me with someone who knows what they're doing here!!)

Thanks, Steve
Philips HDTV
n2deep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pix can be found at http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=671591

The only chip on it has the following on top

ATMEL002
24C08N
SC18

Let me know if you cannot make out any of the details in the pictures. I've posted one top view and one bottom view of the pcb.

Thanks for your help,
Steve
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Your Mill3 is a three device remote, with Cable/Sat, TV and VCR devices. It likely doesn't have any audio codes installed, or at least for now can't access them. VCR 0074 and Audio 0074 are two different things, like apples and orages, both fruits, but not near the same.

There's a decent chance that it *may* support a hidden fourth device, and it *may* be audio. For now, without IR support, and the RDF, we won't know, nor is there a way to access that device manually(button pushing).

I've started an rdf for it, but still need the pix of the PCB. Then when you get your cable you'll need to use IR and some button pushing to build the rest. Shoot me a PM if you'd like help with that part.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: