JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hughes HTL-HD/Sony HD300 "format" button code...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Hughes HTL-HD/Sony HD300 "format" button code... Reply with quote

This button resides on the console itself, on these models and controls what HD format is being output by the box. For some reason, this button is not on the remote and thus can only be controled by getting up off my duff and pressing it on the console. I'd like to be able to change the format, at selected times, when I am viewing SD programming, via the remote.

Has anyone figured out a discrete remote code for this "format" button?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a couple of posts at RC, it does s-video simultaneously with the HD output. So why not use an s-video input for RD and leave the HD out set at 1080i or 720p depending on what looks better with your Monitor.

Also, what UEIC setup code works for this unit? It has been reported to be the same as the new LG STB that does allow discrete selection of the HD mode but the LG unit uses a NEC1:247 protocol:device and AFAIK, there is no built in setup code for that.

However, in the past LG (under its Zenith label) apparently made the HD100 and HD200's for Sony but the Sony versions used the Sony IR protocols and command sets.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is my TV. I have a Panasonic CT-34WX53 16:9 TV. It has a mode called "Just" that does THE best job of any TV I have seen, of stretching a standard 4:3 picture to fill a 16:9 screen. It looks natural. Now, when I am not viewing an SD broadcast thru my HTL-HD receiver(using the DVI connection) it outputs the signal in 480p. The issue is, thru Panasonic's ultimate "wisdom", when receiving a 480p signal, I LOSE the ability to use the "Just" mode(it leaves me a choice of the other 3 modes however, Full, Normal, Zoom... go figure). If I force the box to output 1080i, then the TV locks me into Full mode(which all 16:9 TV's do, thinking it's an HD signal). So that's no good either.

To get the "Just" mode back, I CAN force the receiver to output in 480i mode(using the imfamous "format" key on the unit). This is why I want a code to do it thru the remote. When I switch to SD I wanna be able to switch the box to force 480i and when viewing HD, switch it back to 1080i.

When I learned a key from the remote, I got the following:

Protocol: NEC1
Device: 12
SubDevice: 251

I dunno if the 251 has it or not.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I understand (I have a similar issue with a different display). Nothing simple about integrating HD systems.

NEC1:12.251 is SAT_0749 which is the Hughes setup code. You might try that and if that is it, then you can do the tedious search all 256 commands less the ones we already know.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanx for the tip. With the 2117 I use code 1749 because a couple keys didn't work with 0749. I'm wondering if I should check out that one first.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it won't matter much. They are both the same protocol and device; I hadn't realized that when I responded before. Use the one that has the most commands that work for your situation.

I don't have time now but you can look at the advanced codes for either setup code at www.hifi-remote.com and map out what are known commands.

You can either search with creating a series of device upgrades or the button pushing method. I recommend the former since you know a little more about what you are doing when you find a command that works.

Keep in mind that:
1) The commands may not exist
2) You can get into a factory-reset mode
3) To find discrete Power commands you have to go through the list twice. First with the unit ON and then try the commands that did nothing in the ON in the OFF state.

I can give you a little more help tomorrow evening.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted some files that should be useful HughesDSS_all_256.zip in the Yahoo JP1 diagnosis area. Included is a non-extended 2116/2117 IR image that has seven device upgrades that cover OBC's 0 through 256 for NEC1:12.251.

Save you existing image in IR, remove a battery press a key, do a whatever the equivalent of a 981 reset, then open the all256.txt in IR and upload to the remote.

I also created a spreadsheet, Legend.xls that shows what device upgrades map to which OBC's and which keys have what OBC's and EFC’s within those device upgrades. I also have put the known commands (and those are generic) so they may or may not do what they appear to do. The blank entries are the most likely to be the ones that have new commands.

Keep in mind that as mentioned before, start in the ON state and see what the keys do. If one of them turns the STB off, try the same command again to determine if it is a toggle. You probably need to try all these commands in the various modes (RD, HD, SAT, OTA etc) to see if they do aspect ratios, Antenna switching if you have more than one, etc.

Once you have determined what the keys do when On, try those that didn't do anything with the STB off to find the discrete On command.

Again, use at your own risk and good luck!
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a ton Jon! I will give this a shot tonight.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...

I have so far gotten almost thru 3 sets of codes. I have found a service menu and a test menu so far. Then there is the "key" that I found that shoves the DVI connection into 720p and won't release it(couldn't even use the "format" key on the unit itself). The problem with this is, my TV cannot accept a 720p signal. I could not get my receiver out of 720p, no matter what I did, until I finally used the NVRam reset(which I luckily found on one of those service menus, I came across earlier). After resetting the receiver, I was fine except I had to have Directv rehit the box to get my locals back.

So... I will continue again, at a later date, so if I get into the same situation, it will be far enough seperated from the first situation, so Directv doesn't realize what I doing. Smile
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, if you get it "locked" into some HD mode like 720p that the display can't handle try switching the TV to an sVideo or composite input connected to the satellite receiver.

I think it outputs both RD and HD simultaneously. It is possible that you may be able to navigate with on-screen menus that you can't see in the incompatible HD mode.

Don't forget when talking to DirecTV, you can always blame the "lockups" on a curious 2-year old playing with the remote even if you don't have one.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Just an idea, if you get it "locked" into some HD mode like 720p that the display can't handle try switching the TV to an sVideo or composite input connected to the satellite receiver.

I think it outputs both RD and HD simultaneously. It is possible that you may be able to navigate with on-screen menus that you can't see in the incompatible HD mode.

Don't forget when talking to DirecTV, you can always blame the "lockups" on a curious 2-year old playing with the remote even if you don't have one.

Yea, that's what I did. I have it connected via SVideo as well, so I swapped over to there, which kicked it into 480p(the lock was only on the DVI connection). I was VERY lucky that I discovered the service menu before this happened. otherwise I would not have known about the NVRam dump option and would still have it stuck.

Hehe, this first one, I just said the box locked up and after the reset, I lost my locals Smile With these receivers, that lockup story is good for several occassions Laughing
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW,

"JFR" is looking for the same codes over at RC http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?1428 and I have suuggested that you guys may want to cooperate. He is using an MX-700 but with MakeHex/IRPanels he can create and read a ccf file and do some testing to speed up the process for you both.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Jon. I posted a response over there.
Zyll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my Zenith HDR420 STB, but there is a "SD/HD" button on the remote that calls up a menu on the screen. After learning that button, I was able to set up a macro that used the arrow/select keys to switch between 720p and 480i to keep both my TV and PJ happy.....

This may not be any help, but if there is a menu option for making the change you might be able to do something similar.
dtparker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: HTL-HD Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I got one of these boxes at Christmas, also, and was wondering where you were in the process of searching for discrete codes. No sense in duplicating effort if you guys have already resolved the issue. so far, I've IR learned all the keys on the remote that are not present in the Sat749 protocol, and figured out the EFCs for them using IR, and have started making a new protocol in keymap - I know, that is the easy part Smile

thanks,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: