JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Creating (Coolbx ) Remote Bin File for SlingBox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyson904

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Creating (Coolbx ) Remote Bin File for SlingBox Reply with quote

I am really new to this, I just purchased my Sling Box Pro just last week and I am trying to get my Coolbx Optima hooked up. I realize I have to create a Bin File and somehow put it in the Sling Folder. However I am really new to this so I was wondering if someone could help me out.

Is there a way I can use the TXT file off of this site and load it into the Remote Master Program and create a Bin file or do I have to purchase the Remote and cord and create my Bin file that way?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating (Coolbx ) Remote Bin File for SlingBox Reply with quote

tyson904 wrote:

Is there a way I can use the TXT file off of this site and load it into the Remote Master Program and create a Bin file
That's all there is to it.
Select KeyMapMaster as the file type in the "Open" dialog boxes and load the upgrade.
Select Slingbox as the remote (note JU, PL, or RV type).
Export a binary upgrade from the "advanced" menu.
The file goes into the \SBAV directory.
You have to enter the number in a box after you get to select "Other" in Sling setup.

In between you could check out button assignments. Sometimes there are functions available in the upgrade that have not been assigned to buttons. You won't be able to use them until you assign them.

If problems arise: ask for help.
tyson904

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating (Coolbx ) Remote Bin File for SlingBox Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
tyson904 wrote:

Is there a way I can use the TXT file off of this site and load it into the Remote Master Program and create a Bin file
That's all there is to it.
Select KeyMapMaster as the file type in the "Open" dialog boxes and load the upgrade.

You lost at hello.

I downloaded the Remote Master 1.68 and get an error no rdf file.. you also said something about jv, pl rv? how do I find out what I have? Can you explain in detail... Thanks for your help I really appriciate it.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM (and IR, which you won't need unless you start programming a JP1 remote) needs maps and images. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1947 and RDFs http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1948 to display and identify the different types of remotes. When you install RM, it should give an error if you have not installed them and you should have an option to point RM at the directory you unzipped the files into. The readme.html that is in the RM application gives instructions on the installation of "maps and images" and RDFs.

As new remotes are discovered individual RDFs are created and can be added one at a time. They are found here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=44 . The ones you would be interested in are BINPL, BINJU, and BINRV. I believe the PL and JU are included in the RDF package but the RV (this is the PAL Slingbox) would have to be manually added.

JU, PL, RV refers to the type of Slingbox hardware. PL is the most likely; you could create all three .bin files and put them into thr \SBAV directory; the setup software will pick the right one for the box. I don't have any info on the new series of boxes but I think people are able to use the existing .bin files on them. If not, then a new RDF will have to be created for them.
tyson904

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help. I saved 3 the 3 files JU, PL, and RV under 904td...

any how, I go to sling player in the cable section and input the number in the alternative code area and the Power box for testing does not light up and I can't hit next..

I am sure I am forgeting something

any help
tyson904

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so bumbed I got the sling to reconize the remote file and they don't work with my Coolbx series optima
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyson904 wrote:
I saved 3 the 3 files JU, PL, and RV under 904td...
I'm not sure if you specified a different name for the file here. The binary export defaults a specific name that you can't change.
I converted and uploaded the .bin from Rob's original file here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3703
Try it and see if it was a conversion problem. It uses the code C2020 in the Sling setup.

It is always possible that your Coolbx uses different codes or that the Pro series Slingbox is not compatible with the old bin files. Learning the original remote codes might be required in the first case, feedback from other users on the second.

Two other things, some boxes don't recognise a "Power" command and you should check the dropdown menus on the virtual remote for additional commands. Personally, I don't even bother to test the functions until I install the remote. A "Power" button might not work but other commands might, giving me clues to needed modifications of the original file.
tyson904

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for putting together that zip file, that was very nice of you. However they did not work. I loaded the remote and tried every button on the remote and nothing, I tried to move the IR cord all over the place as well to see if I had it in the wrong posistion. Here is a pic of the unit I have I bet yeah I will have to go out and purchase the All in One Remote and download the codes.

http://www.consumerchoicecable.com/coolbox.html

This is what the box looks like, if anyone was able to download and get the codes to work with their sling can you give a guy some advice...[/img]
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a troubleshooting standpoint you might want to see if you have any device (VCR, DVD, etc) that has a known working upgrade. Create a .bin file and see if you can control that device.

The purpose of this exercise is to verify that the PRO uses the same .bin files as the Classic and that your unit actually operates correctly with an upgrade.
tyson904

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea. I will try and control my Sony TV
tyson904

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having problems making codes that sling will reconize, can you help me out again by making remote codes for my TV

Sony_KV-34XBR800-TV.txt

That is the file I have been trying to use, however when I go to input the remote in the sling it does not reconize the file I create

Thanks again.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but only because I have Sony TVs too. I suspect you may be picking the wrong type of .bin to output and it doesn't match your hardware version (JU vs PL vs RV)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3711
T1000 will be the number for PL and JU (USA) and C1000 if RV (UK PAL).

This upgrade has a protocol upgrade required and I don't know if the Slingbox has the capabilities to handle it. A simpler device may be needed for testing.
tyson904

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I have good news and bad news. I am back to square one on my Coolbx because I tested the sling media with my Tivo Series 2 and I was able to control the tivo with sling.

So I guess I will have to figure out now how to input the ir from my Coolbx remote to the RM.. What will I have to purchase to make this happen?
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the TIVO being controlled from a .bin file that you put in the SBAV directory or one of the built-in codes from setup?

If it was from a built-in code then we still don't know if the PRO series boxes can use the "standard" method of adding upgrades with a .bin file.

As far as creating an upgrade, a JP1 learning remote and cable are all the hardware needed. Before doing that, determining if the new Slingboxes are compatible with the old .bin file method is important.
tyson904

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created the bin from the codes in the forum.. So I would say that the Remote Master bin is compatible with the new Sling Pro.

I guess that takes up to our next step:

If you were going out to purchase a Remote and Wire what would you suggest? and Where? I am guessing Radio Shack but do you have suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: