JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8811 beginners question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sontakke

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first posting here. I have just ordered URC-9811. I would like to know if this remote will be able to handle following device without having access to JP1 Parallel Port cable:-

1) Pioneer 1014 Receiver
2) Infocus ScreenPlay 4805 Projector
3) Apex DVD/VCR Combo

If it needs to be programmed via JP1, does it have to be via parallel port cable? I do understand that the software was written for parallel port but I am curious if there is a specific technical reason why parallel was chosen during the initial development of JP1. The reason I am asking this is because I have bunch of DB9 adapters to hook up to serial port but none for parallel port!

Thanks,
- Vikas
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sontakke wrote:
This is my first posting here. I have just ordered URC-9811. I would like to know if this remote will be able to handle following device without having access to JP1 Parallel Port cable:-

1) Pioneer 1014 Receiver
2) Infocus ScreenPlay 4805 Projector
3) Apex DVD/VCR Combo

First off, you should clarify whether you have a 8811 or 9811. With that said, I'm reasonably sure that the Infocus code isn't in any JP1 capable remote.

sontakke wrote:

If it needs to be programmed via JP1, does it have to be via parallel port cable? I do understand that the software was written for parallel port but I am curious if there is a specific technical reason why parallel was chosen during the initial development of JP1. The reason I am asking this is because I have bunch of DB9 adapters to hook up to serial port but none for parallel port!

Thanks,
- Vikas

The parallel port was chosen because the JP1 tools need to talk directly to the eeprom in the remote by rapidly changing the state of the parallel port lines. It's kind of like morse code. The parallel port has the right electrical characteristics that made designing the simple interface possible.

But Tommy Tyler (the JP1 electronics expert) has come up with serial and USB interfaces. They are harder to build (they require at least one IC) but can be ordered pre-made from several vendors (check the market place forum).

One more thing -- you mentioned DB-9 adapters. If your talking about USB-Serial adapters, those won't work with the JP1 serial interface. If your computer only has USB ports, the USB interface is the way to go.
sontakke

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers! I ordered form the HT-Pro 9811B00 from the infamous X-10. After reading more, it seems certain that I will NOT be getting it anytime soon. I called sales and they assure me that it is in stock but when I call customer service to check my order, I got told that it is on back-order Sad

I purchased Pioneer 1014 open box and it did not come with the right remote. Rather than spending $70 to get the OEM remote, I would like to purchase a good universal remote.

Pioneer remotes are nice. They have the ability to learn from other remotes. I do not know how much memory they have. I was able to teach all of my Apex keys to it.

Using the Pioneer remote, one selects source (input to the receiver) and the component to be remote controlled using the corresponding source slector key. This is achived via press of the single key. I have read few users manual of universal remote and also looked at the Remote Master program. My impression was that source switching with universal remote involves multi button sequence. Is that correct? Essentially, if I select a source button e.g. DVD on the universal remote, it needs to send appropriate code to the RECIEVER to switch to that source AND also needs to change its own internal device table to switch to the newly selected device i.e. the DVD.

Currently, I am looking at OFA 9910 model. Can somebody tell me if this remote can do what I want out of the box? If not, using JP1 programming, can I achieve my goal?

Thanks,
- Vikas
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original remote can do it (eg, select a source, etc) then any learning remote can be made to replicate that, and that certainly includes any JP1 remote.

With JP1 remotes you can often program them to directly select a source even when the original remote cannot do that. These codes are known as "discrete codes".

Without JP1, neither the HTPro or the URC-9910 will let you program the device buttons (eg, DVD, VCR, etc) to select a source on your stereo, but if you do become a JP1 user, you can program either of these remotes to do just that. Normally this would require the use of a piece of software called an "extender" (which you may end up using anyway) but the 9910/HTPro is one of the very few remotes that let's you program the device buttons without one.

Bottom line, with JP1 you can make your remote do just about anything, without it you might be able to get to about 80% of where you want to be.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Without JP1, neither the HTPro or the URC-9910 will let you program the device buttons (eg, DVD, VCR, etc) to select a source on your stereo,

To clarify that a little. Without JP1 you can program a macro to both change the remote's device mode and send a corresponding signal to the actual device. So that what you want CAN be done with a single button press as you requested. BUT (without JP1) you can't program that onto the obvious button (the device select button for that device). Instead you need to pick some other button, which won't have a meaningful label.

With JP1 you can program that macro on the proper button.
sontakke

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded both Pioneer 1014 and Pioneer Master files. Playing with Remote Master software and looking at the text files, it seems that currently source selection is being done with the <RCVR>+<digit> key sequence. With JP1 software and cable, I would be remapping these keys to the device button. Is that correct assumtion?

What kind of programmability is available on the LCD display of 9910? The OEM Pioneer remote uses LCD panel to show the current device mode on it and is helpful during the learning process.

I am also considering RCA 1010 if it is JP1 programmable. From the list, the previous RCA model 810 had holes for JP1 connections. Anybody know if the 1010 can be modified *easily* for JP1 programming?

Thanks,
- Vikas
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sontakke wrote:
I have downloaded both Pioneer 1014 and Pioneer Master files. Playing with Remote Master software and looking at the text files, it seems that currently source selection is being done with the <RCVR>+<digit> key sequence.

If you're asking us if that's how the original remote works, how would we know? Our question to you would be "how do you select the correct input when you use the Pioneer remote?" Regardless of what buttons you use, you can learn the signals from these buttons and you can make your JP1 remote do the same thing.

sontakke wrote:
With JP1 software and cable, I would be remapping these keys to the device button. Is that correct assumtion?

You would most likely be mapping macros to the device buttons, and those macros would include the buttons needed to select the correct input. These macros would most likely also do a few other things too.

sontakke wrote:
What kind of programmability is available on the LCD display of 9910? The OEM Pioneer remote uses LCD panel to show the current device mode on it and is helpful during the learning process.

The screen has limited usefulness, all it shows you is (a) the time, (b) the device mode (ie, TV, VCR, etc) and (c) the setup code being used. But it sounds like that's all you need.

sontakke wrote:
I am also considering RCA 1010 if it is JP1 programmable. From the list, the previous RCA model 810 had holes for JP1 connections. Anybody know if the 1010 can be modified *easily* for JP1 programming?

The *ONLY* RCA remote that has any JP1 capabilities is the RCU810 remote, no other RCA remote whatsoever has any JP1 capability whatsoever. It's not a question of easy vs. difficult, it's physically impossible to use JP1 with any other RCA remote.
sontakke

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Pioneer remote, if I want to watch (and listen) to DVD, I press the DVD button on the Pioneer remote. The reciever switches its source to the DVD and transport buttons on the Pioneer remote now control my DVD player.

Would I need macro capability to do this using JP1 capable remote?

Thanks,
- Vikas
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD button on your Pioneer remote serves 2 purposes, first it sends a signal to your receiver that selects the correct input, then it puts the remote into "DVD" mode.

You can learn the signal sent when the DVD button is pressed using any learning remote.

You can then create an upgrade that will re-create that signal.

To program anything to the device buttons on most JP1 remotes, you need to use an extender. Then you would program a macro that would (at least) do two things, the first would be to put the remote into DVD mode, and the second would be to select the DVD input on your receiver.
praneeth.patlola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: need info regarding sling box Reply with quote

Hi Vikas,

I am in urgent need for information regarding slingbox media. Can you please help me. Currently am located in Austin,TX,

Thanks,
Praneeth Reddy Patlola
512 963 3956
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: need info regarding sling box Reply with quote

praneeth.patlola wrote:
I am in urgent need for information regarding slingbox media.
Check out the Slingbox forum to see if the info you need has already been discussed. If not, you can post specific questions in that forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: