JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Typing speed issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Typing speed issue Reply with quote

Is there some sort of a clock watching how fast you type posting a message? If I manage to type in the stuff really quickly, all is well. Otherwise I have to login again. And then the typed text isn't there any more, and, unless copied to notepad before Preview or Submit button, the text gets lost.
Is this a forum problem or something on my end? I use IE.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been known to take 20 or 30 minutes to finish a post (stop and do laundry, dishes, etc), so I doubt that it's a forum issue. I'd be more than happy to blame IE. (or one of it's obscure settings) But since I don't like it, don't use, won't use it, I couldn't say for sure.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a setting that determines the length of a "session" on the forum that is currently set to 1 hr.

I've also read where there's a few problems caused when using this particular forum software from behind a firewall where the session can time-out rather quickly depending on various firewall settings.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
when using this particular forum software from behind a firewall
To further clarify what happens, the forum actually uses a combination of a session ID and the users' IP address for validation. Some firewalls/proxy servers randomly change the IP. If that occurs in the middle of a user session, the software will invalidate the session. There's a way to reduce the occurence of this scenario, but it apparently exposes the forum to easier hacking. So, bottom line is it's something we need to live with.

I know I have significant problems posting from work as we have some heavy-buty firewall security in place. There's nothing worse than typing a reply only to hit the Submit button and have it tell me "Invalid Session". Not only do I lose the post, but I can longer utilize the "View posts since last visit" option as it wipes out my current session.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Typing speed issue Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
And then the typed text isn't there any more, and, unless copied to notepad before Preview or Submit button, the text gets lost.

I made it (saving before posting) my habit since Yahoo! Groups, but I recently swtiched to FireFox and noticed that it does a lot better job of keeping the posted message. I can always go back and retrieve what I was about to post after an error.

Hal
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Typing speed issue Reply with quote

mtakahar wrote:
[I made it (saving before posting) my habit since Yahoo! Groups, but I recently swtiched to FireFox and noticed that it does a lot better job of keeping the posted message.
I've been thinking of taking the plnge to Firefox but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mark Pierson wrote:
Some firewalls/proxy servers randomly change the IP. If that occurs in the middle of a user session, the software will invalidate the session. There's a way to reduce the occurence of this scenario, but it apparently exposes the forum to easier hacking. So, bottom line is it's something we need to live with.

Aha! Of course.
At work it's a bit less of a problem for me, work is secured but it seems to play no role on the forum. At home is Fort Knox, I hope Smile. The router box, indeed, changes the IP address quite frequently. On top of that, the softwre firewall does its thing. Thanks for the answer, Mark. I don't like it one bit, but I guess we do need to get used to it.

zaphod7501 wrote:
I never should have started using numbers in a screen name but I just can't stop now.
Nasty isn't it? I should've never stuck a D in mine.

NEW question - is there a way to edit the blurb about an already uploaded file? I couldn't find a way to do it yesterday.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Typing speed issue Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
NEW question - is there a way to edit the blurb about an already uploaded file? I couldn't find a way to do it yesterday.

If it's a file that you uploaded, you should see an EDIT icon in the upper right corner when you click on the file name.

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If it's a file that you uploaded, you should see an EDIT icon in the upper right corner when you click on the file name.
Ok, so I go and get me new glasses Surprised
I didn't see a clear way to save the edited blurb, screen said 'Edit File', but it worked. However, navigation is still a bit of a pain, sorry. First I go Audio, then page 10, scroll down, page 9, scroll down, page 8 scroll down, page 7 finally, then edit, then repeat the process to see it took. Ouch Crying or Very sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because there's a bug in the file section software that limits the number of entries displayed on each page to just 20. I have posted something about this on their forum, so it's on their "to do" list (it's in their internal tracker with id 41).

For anyone interested, the web site where the file section software comes from is as follows:
http://www.mx-system.com/

Btw, for anyone interested in trying out Firefox, you can download it from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Some firewalls/proxy servers randomly change the IP. If that occurs in the middle of a user session, the software will invalidate the session..

Mark, you've nailed it down, you're 100% correct. No more speculation. I now have 3minutes of evidence. I was posting a reply to a pm and had to login again. i was also watching the router log. Sure enough, IP address changed while I was typing, so submit was a new session with the usual sad consequences.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep typing slowly Liz, as I am not a fast reader. Take the plunge and install Firefox as the tabbed set-up is good for jumping back and forward between pages once you get used to it. You can keep IE (or whatever) in case you don't like Firefox but I've now got very addicted to the [ctrl]-T in Firefox opening new tabs for me and then I can see the pages loading in them and know when to jump over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: