JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendation on a JP1 capable PVR remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhallerbach

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Recommendation on a JP1 capable PVR remote Reply with quote

I currently have a JP1 PVR URC-6131 extended remote(modded by the Robman himself) and although it has been a great remote, am looking for an upgraded PVR remote, specifically with some backlighting and possibly an LCD - I need it to have the PVR keys. Its been awhile since I have been messing with this stuff(My remotes have been working great.). Resonably priced would be prefered

Any thought, recomendations?

Thanks,
Michael
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ws goign to jumpp in and say "easy, URC-6131" but I see you already knew that. Well, the next best choice is probably the URC-9960 Kameleon, as it lights up and has the PVR buttons.
tg0905

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the URC Kameleon 8. The original (9960B00) does have an extender but I don't think the B00 is available now. The newer version (9960B01) is JP1 also but no extender exists.

You may want to look at the URC 8810 or 9910 (RF version of 8810). They both have LCD displays but no PVR buttons.
tg0905

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I meant the 8910 not the 8810.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg0905 wrote:
I recommend the URC Kameleon 8. The original (9960B00) does have an extender but I don't think the B00 is available now. The newer version (9960B01) is JP1 also but no extender exists.

You may want to look at the URC 8810 or 9910 (RF version of 8810). They both have LCD displays but no PVR buttons.

In my opinion, the 8910/9910 has everything you need for a PVR:

Pause
Play
Record
Stop (I program the stop key for slow motion)
FWD
REW
F.FWD/F.REW (can be used for PVR specific things like "back up 8 seconds", "skip forward", etc.)

I use the FAV button for the list of recorded programs
I use MENU for PVR Menu
mhallerbach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg0905 wrote:

Is the Kameleon well liked - I had heard previously that it isn't that great and sucks batteries due to its design.

After doing some research I had been narrowing in on the URC-9910(thinking I could make it work), but my main reason for asking for a PVR remote is I hate having buttons assigned to similar but not the same button it should be - I personally feel a remote should ber intuitive and easy for anybody who picks it up.

My question for the 9910 owners - what frequency does the RF run at(The reason why I ask is I have another rf extender running for another remote and would like to combine the 2 instead of having 2 receivers). Second - I know the extender has an optional emitter cable plug for mounting to a A/V component without line of site, but will it work with another emitter cable(Like a 3 emmitter cable - I need it to drive 3 seprate components via the cable and it looks like URC doesn't offer one- but I have ssen other available from manufacturers- is it a 3.5mm plug and is the technology standard..

Looks like the URC-9910 with Rf can be had for $32 shipped at Amazon
tg0905

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kameleon 8RF and the 9910. I like the button layout on the Kameleon as they change depending on what device is selected. It has buttons that the 9910 doesn't have including PVR buttons, Page Up, Page Down, Audio and Subtitle. The display is very easy to read in the dark. I have two sets of (4) Duracell 1000 mAh AAA rechargeables. A set lasts over a week in the Kameleon. The current version of the Kameleon allows disabling the motion sensor and specifying the length of time the displays remains lit after you touch a key (or move it if the motion sensor is activated) to save on batteries. The base station that came with the Kameleon is a new version which is smaller than the old style. It has two jacks for “signal extension cords” although the unit only comes with one. I tried a cord from a Jensen IR Extender. It did fit but didn't work. I doubt if you could eliminate one of your IR extenders as the URC and the one you have now are probably on are different frequencies. The only down-side to the Kameleon is sometimes a button doesn't respond unless I press hard.

The 9910 works fine and when you load the extender you can change what is displayed on the LCD when a device is selected (Custom Mode Name). I have a DVD player and a DVD recorder. I changed the labels to DVD PLAY and DVD BURN. The base station the old large style and has only one jack for the IR Extender. Either remote can use either base station. If you get the 9910 make sure it is the new version with separate arrow keys. The older version had a round puck which many people complained about.
mhallerbach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg0905 wrote:
I have the Kameleon 8RF and the 9910. I like the button layout on the Kameleon as they change depending on what device is selected. It has buttons that the 9910 doesn't have including PVR buttons, Page Up, Page Down, Audio and Subtitle. The display is very easy to read in the dark. I have two sets of (4) Duracell 1000 mAh AAA rechargeables. A set lasts over a week in the Kameleon. The current version of the Kameleon allows disabling the motion sensor and specifying the length of time the displays remains lit after you touch a key (or move it if the motion sensor is activated) to save on batteries. The base station that came with the Kameleon is a new version which is smaller than the old style. It has two jacks for “signal extension cords” although the unit only comes with one. I tried a cord from a Jensen IR Extender. It did fit but didn't work. I doubt if you could eliminate one of your IR extenders as the URC and the one you have now are probably on are different frequencies. The only down-side to the Kameleon is sometimes a button doesn't respond unless I press hard.

The 9910 works fine and when you load the extender you can change what is displayed on the LCD when a device is selected (Custom Mode Name). I have a DVD player and a DVD recorder. I changed the labels to DVD PLAY and DVD BURN. The base station the old large style and has only one jack for the IR Extender. Either remote can use either base station. If you get the 9910 make sure it is the new version with separate arrow keys. The older version had a round puck which many people complained about.

The Kameleon sounds nice but rechargable battery changes once a week sounds terrible and too much hassle. I might have to keep looking .

Thanks for the help
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 8910-B01 with TiVo just great. All its buttons are programmed into it.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 6131 for several years now with my Dish PVR's and have generally been happy with them EXCEPT that they're a pain to use in the dark.

I've ben playing with the Kameleon 6960 6-device remote for a while but haven't been able to make it work just right yet. I'm pretty sure that the RDF isn't right and am in the process of trying to fix it. There's also not an extender for it yet, something that I'm trying to resolve as well. I did have to solder JP1 pins to the remote when I got it, not thru-hole mounted either but the kind with the bent legs on them.

The remote looks like it'll fit what I need pretty well once I get it working. Will report back here if/when that happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: