JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moving from 8811 to 8910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulcalif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Moving from 8811 to 8910 Reply with quote

Looking for suggestions on how to transfer my programming from my 8811 to my new 8910. I already know it can't just be downloaded from the 8811 and uploaded to the 8910.

I thought I read somewhere about opening 2 instances of IR?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea is to look and repeat for some of the migration.

Open your standard IR 8811 file. Open 8910 IR file. Two sessions of IR.
Into 8910 IR file bring in upgrades you built for 8811, now revised for 8910.

Once that's done, the remaining things are macros, possibly Fav macros, and additional keymoves you've built in IR which aren't part of any upgrade. At this point you look at the 8811 IR and build the same things in the new 8910 window.
paulcalif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I think the idea is to look and repeat for some of the migration.

Huh?

ElizabethD wrote:
Open your standard IR 8811 file. Open 8910 IR file. Two sessions of IR.

Ok, I have two sessions side by side.

ElizabethD wrote:
Into 8910 IR file bring in upgrades you built for 8811, now revised for 8910.

Looks like I'll need to start from scratch, because I can't remember what I did.

ElizabethD wrote:
Once that's done, the remaining things are macros, possibly Fav macros, and additional keymoves you've built in IR which aren't part of any upgrade. At this point you look at the 8811 IR and build the same things in the new 8910 window.

In IR, can looking at the RAW data do anything for me? What would happen if I manually copied over the RAW data from the 8811 to the 8910?

Thanks for trying to help me, but I did the programming on the 8811 a LONG time ago, and really don't remember much on how I did it.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif,

Are you saying you no longer have the IR file for your 8811? If not, you can still download from the 8811 to IR. From there, you'll be able to see everything you programmed -- no need to remember or start from scratch. I think that's what Liz was getting at.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
What would happen if I manually copied over the RAW data from the 8811 to the 8910?

Wouldn't work at all.

floyd1977 wrote:
Are you saying you no longer have the IR file for your 8811?

No he said he still has that .ir file but does not know how to translate what IR.exe shows him, when he opens that file, into the actions he needs to take in IR.exe for an 8910 to get the 8910 to act the way the 8811 did.

I don't have any easy answers. IR.exe doesn't give you good ways to copy configuration from one model remote to another. It would be a surprisingly difficult task to program IR.exe so it could do such things.

A JP1 expert wouldn't have much trouble doing that for his own config. But that is no help to an ordinary user who forgot what he once learned to set it up.

Sorry.

But on the practical side, does IR show you any device upgrades when you open the file from the 8811? If so, then maybe you also saved the files from KM or RM used to create those upgrades. Those are a better starting place than the .ir file. If there are no device upgrades, then the whole conversion from 8811 to 8910 isn't as hard. Open two copies of IR.exe (8811 file in one and download from the 8910 as a starting point for the other).
floyd1977

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should've read more carefully.

Shouldn't you be able to cut and paste the raw device upgrades from IR into KM/RM, change the remote to 8910, and then cut and paste back into IR? If the 8910 and 8811 have slightly different keys, you may need to move some of the functions around to the right buttons before you take the upgrade to IR, unless I'm overlooking some other potential problems.

As for everything else (macros, keymoves, etc.), you should just be able to manually copy these to the appropriate keys.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only RM can import raw upgrades, so it is possible to use RM to convert the raw upgrades from one remote to another. But any keymoves that were part of the upgrade won't be handled by the process. Also, it is possible that one (or more) key that isn't in the buttonmap on the source remote would be in the buttonmap on the target remote, so you might end up wth extra keymoves.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
paulcalif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great community!! Thanks for all of the advice. I am able to download my data from the 8811 to IR. I am able to download the data from the 8910 to IR. I have no problem having two instances of IR running at the same time, one with my 8811 data and the other with the original 8910 data. Comparing the two remotes side by side, the physical buttons are almost identical with the exception of the 8811 having an M4 key where the 8910 has only up to M3. The 8910 has a Com Skip Key, the 8811 does not. Otherwise they are the same. Now that you have a clearer picture of where I am, can you steer me in the right direction? Also, other than the LCD display of the 8910, are there any advantages of the 8910 over the 8811? Thank you group!!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
... can you steer me in the right direction?
As previously asked, do you have the original KM files and/or RM files for any upgrade you have in your 8811?

If YES, then open those upgrades in KM or RM, and modify them for your 8910, copy and paste any applicable device and protocol upgrades to the IR for the 8910 and proceed to manually, one-by-one re-creating any additional keymoves that were not automatically generated by KM or RM, and manually re-creating any macros and/or Special Functions.

If NO, then from the devices tab of the 8811, you must sequentially copy the device upgrades from your 8811 into KM or RM, and then modify those upgrades for your 8910, and enter them into the 8910 IR file as above. The only problem is that if you assigned some functions to buttons that do not exactly match the button name, this method will not tell you the ACTUAL function name, only the button to which you had it assigned. Then recreate Keymoves, Macros and Special Protocol Keymoves as above.

If none of the above means anything to you, it's time to read the beginner's read me in the thread linked in my sig below.

paulcalif wrote:
... Also, other than the LCD display of the 8910, are there any advantages of the 8910 over the 8811? Thank you group!!
Modem upgradability.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
paulcalif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I used Keymaster when I originally set up the remote. Can I assume any file I created would have the .xls file extension? Doing a search on my laptop for xls files.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeyMapMaster (KM) files have a .txt extension.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading between the lines, I suspect that you want to copy the info from one remote to the other in order to save time. Hopefully, the previous responses here have already let you know that that is a false assumption.

So, let's approach this from another angle. For now, let's forget about whatever programming that's in the URC-8811 and start afresh with the URC-8910. Let's also assume that you didn't save anything useful on your PC.

Q1, what devices do you want the URC-8910 to control?
Q2, did you check the file section to see if there are upgrades available for those devices?
Q3, have you downloaded either KM or RM?

Steps...
1. If you can find upgrade files for each of your devices, download them and save them on your PC.
2. If you can't find an upgrade for any device, capture the signals from the original remote and build a new upgrade.
3. Download the URC-8910s memory using IR.exe
4. Edit each of the upgrades using KM or RM so that they work for the URC-8910, then copy the upgrade over to IR, then save the upgrade file.
5. Assign each of the upgrades to the device buttons on the URC-8910.
6. If you had any fancy macros saved in the URC-8811, you can re-enter them in IR for the URC-8910 at this point.
7. Save the IR file and load it into the URC-8910.

If you've forgotten how to do alot of this, read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: