JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

before I get to excited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraDcat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: before I get to excited Reply with quote

I've been reading the posts and the faq. The recent post by sic0048 is very similar to what I want to do. What I'm not sure of is if I MUST use an extender to do it and if it's possible.

example: DVD device key

----
Short press - switch Rcvr to dvd input, set remote to control dvd

Long press - Tv, dvd, Rcvr power on, switch Rcvr to dvd input, set remote to control dvd

Shift dvd - would simply set remote to control dvd
----

This setup would allow my wife to turn on any device that isn't on by holding the device key down for a second or two. If multiple devices are on(example: sat and vcr(our local channels come thru the vcr)) she could switch between them easily by a simple quick push of the desired device key.

The shift [device] would allow for calibration purposes. If I need to adjust the TV's color while watching a dvd for example. This would allow me access to the TV's color controls while the dvd is playing(Shift[tv] while a dvd is playing). This would hardly ever be used but would be nice at times.

I'm planning to use the power key to allow a short press to turn off the current device and a long press for standyby(turn everything off) which seems like many do.

Any thoughts on if the skp/lkp/shift on each device key is allowed?

Thanks,
Brad

My equipment is:
Sony 30es Rcvr
Sony A2 Directv sat
Sony S7000 dvd player
Mitsubishi vcr(unknown model)
Sony 32" XBR
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: before I get to excited Reply with quote

fraDcat wrote:
What I'm not sure of is if I MUST use an extender to do it. Short press ... - Long press ...
No, you do not have to use an extender. There is a special protocol for LKP/SKP here. This protocol was written for the radio shack 15-2116 remote.

Many extenders have LKP/SKP built in, and additionally they have a lot more features, and later on if you decide to go with an extender you may have to redo all that you did, as the stand-alone LKP-SKP protocol is most likely not compatible with an extender.

Before purchasing a remote, make sure there is an extender to do what you want. I think that for value, the wal-mart 8810w (under $20) is pretty good. JP1 ready, learning, great extenders are available out the ying-yang for it. The 6012 is another very nice choice, but may require you to do a bit of soldering to put in the 6 pin connector and the eeprom (or just buy one for $15 in the market section of this site that has been made JP1 ready). Good Luck!
JP1Files
fraDcat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I already have a RS 15-2117. Right now it's just setup by the manual that comes with it. No macros or anything, I just used the device codes in the book relating to my equipment.

I guess I was worried that each device key could only have 2 functions ie. skp and lkp but the Shift[device] wouldn't work(to many functions for a given key).

The faq has a blurb about some things being allowed in the IR program but the remote can't/won't do them. That's where I was getting confused.

Thanks,
Brad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The functions programmed to a shifted button have no bearing on the functions programmed to the non-shifted button.

The only exception to that is, when there's nothing programmed to a shifted button, it will default to the function assigned to the non-shifted button as part of a setup code.

The 15-2117 is one of the FEW remotes that allow functions to be programmed (via JP1 only) to the device buttons, so you shouldn't need an extender to do what you want, though it might be advisable to use one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: