JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fix to Learned Keys not working on JP1.x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwaard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Fix to Learned Keys not working on JP1.x Reply with quote

I just recently got into this JP1 interface stuff. Just have to say thanks! This is a very cool tool to customize remotes. I have a URC-8820 and love it. The only thing I wish I could change is the device key macros. I wish there was an extender available so I can run macros with short key presses on the device keys.

I spent some time reading the forum to see what was possible with IR and KM. I found that the macros on the device keys and power key only work with a long key press unless you have an extender. I, like many others, wish to have them with a short key press. I was able to do this with the power key using a custom written learned signal but couldn't with the device keys.

Creating the custom learned signal was not trivial, but it works. However, I had much trouble getting the macros to upload to the remote correctly. They all were mapped to the CBL/SAT device instead of the TV device.

I found after much time searching the forum, that learned keys on the 7555 had the same problem and someone suggested adding LearnedDevBtnSwapped=Yes to the RDF file [General] section. I tried this on the 8820 and it worked.

Just wanted to share this in case others were having the same problem.

Now if anyone has news on extenders for the 8820 or ideas for moving the device key macros to a short key press let me know.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the 8820 is somehow unique and has a requirement for "Lonog" key press of device buttons, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. In an unextended remote, keypresses are kind of binary: It's either pressed or it isn't. If you have a macro mapped, then it executes regardless of keypress length. Only if you have installed a Special Protocol (usually included with an extender) for LKP is there a differentiation possible (if you program it) between short and long keypresses.

Are you saying that the unextended 8820 does not execute a macro if you press and release a device button to which that macro is assigned? ...and you have to press and HOLD the device button for the macro to run?

Or that you cannot assign a macro at all to a device button?

Of course, never having seen an 8820, what you are saying may make perfect sense, but I can't grasp what your driving at.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
ldwaard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that the unextended 8820 does not execute a macro if you press and release a device button to which that macro is assigned? ...and you have to press and HOLD the device button for the macro to run?

Your interpretation is correct. A macro on a device button does not execute unless I hold the button for 2 seconds.

Sorry for the confusion.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does a device button do on a normal/short keypress?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it selects the device mode.

Capn, keep in mind that he's talking about a URC-8820, which is one of the new JP1.2 remotes. UEI has implemented a few new things with this remote, such as adding the ability to put macros on the device buttons. They've been resisting doing this for quite a while as they probably feel that users could end up confusing themselves if they program a poor macro to a device button and then are unable to get into that device mode. So, their compromise was to do their own version of LKP, where any macros programmed to the device buttons will only activate with a long key press.
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the scoop on the x820 series remotes for those who don't already own one.

A short key press of the device buttons or power key changes the device mode and sends a standard power command, respectively. If you hold the button and there is a macro on the button, it will process the macro (AKA DSM).

I'd like to see the delay for the long key press be dropped to a shorter wait time. A wait time that is just longer than the regular keypress so it still changed device modes. Eventually it will be hacked, but it has only been a few months since IR had the ability to access them anyway. If you look back, it was the same for the JP1 years ago. When the JP1.2 remotes are the only remotes, it will encourage the creation of the extenders. With the exception of the long-keypress, I'm happy without the extender.
joedaring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please, does anybody have a link to the original post that refers to the 7555's RDF and the fix for the learnt keys?

This stuff is referenced by "Ldwaard" at the top of this thread..
Thanks a lot! Joe
ldwaard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... adding "LearnedDevBtnSwapped=Yes" to the RDF file [General] section. ...

Above is the fix. The post I got it from was...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6816&highlight=7555

However, it doesn't come right out and say it. It says a setting was added to the RDF file. I then downloaded the RDF file and compared to the 8820/10820 RDF file and found the LearnedDevBtnSwapped line. I tried adding it to the 8820/10820 RDF and it worked.

Hope that explains it better.

I agree with jetskier with his explaination of the remote operation. I also agree that the only downfall is the delay to execute the macro (and slow macro execution). I was hoping someone would have been working on hacking it. Guess I will have to be patient.
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Just want to thank you for the suggestion and the explanation for the fix... IT WORKS!!! Smile

Seems like this 9960 B01 is a half-way step into Jp1.X, as it behaves like one of them in some aspects...

Grazie!

Ciao Ciao

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: