JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete cable in for LG TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Discrete cable in for LG TV Reply with quote

1. Device: LG 37lc2d
2. Type of device: TV
3. Year: 2006
4. JP1 Remote model: URC 6131 and Atlas 5 Device
5. JP1 user? yes
6. Still have original remote? yes
7. Checked the file section? yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes
9. Partially working setup code? 0056 This was listed in the OFA manual for LG
10. Learning remote question?n/a

Ive used the Master LG text file with RemoteMaster to get the codes for some of my keymoves but there is one not listed and don't know if it's available.
The code thats closest is the TV discrete code but that cycles between the DTV and CABLE inputs.I just want the CABLE input for the TV.
In the LG owners manual it has a code to do this using the RS-232c port so I think it's possible,just don't know how.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that there isn't a button for this on the OEM remote?
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button on the original remote(TV input) cycles between the 2 tv input sources.I can access the CABLE input by selecting video input through the on screen menu,but no direct input button.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Discrete cable in for LG TV Reply with quote

JP1newbie wrote:

9. Partially working setup code? 0056

That is NEC1 protocol, device 4. Many brands use that. I expect they're all rebranding the same devices.

JP1newbie wrote:
In the LG owners manual it has a code to do this using the RS-232c port so I think it's possible,just don't know how.

In the discrete forum http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/list.cgi one of the recurring questions is how to translate the documented rs232 signals for these devices to IR.

The answer seems to be that you can't. The set of IR commands is independent from and significantly inferior to the set of rs232 commands.

I don't recall whether there are IR discrete input selects for these devices. Maybe a search of the discrete forum would help.

Since the brand name varies a lot, it might be better to search for some form of "NEC1 device 4" or "900a 006d 0000 0001 04Fb" (condensed Pronto Hex for "nec1 device 4") rather than for LG.

I did a quick shot at that search myself and found this list of the OBC numbers of the IR discrete commands:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?1937,1#4
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Discrete cable in for LG TV Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I did a quick shot at that search myself and found this list of the OBC numbers of the IR discrete commands:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?1937,1#4

I followed that link and the code for the TV (OBC 214) is the same one I have from the LG Master txt. file i'm using for RemoteMaster.
The problem is that it selects between the "ANTENNA" coaxial cable input and the "CABLE" coaxial cable input.I'd like just the "CABLE" input.
It appears there are at least 214 OBC codes for the NEC1 protocol, device 4,if I eliminate the known ones, could I try the rest and maybe get lucky?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Discrete cable in for LG TV Reply with quote

JP1newbie wrote:

It appears there are at least 214 OBC codes for the NEC1 protocol, device 4,if I eliminate the known ones, could I try the rest and maybe get lucky?

There are 256 possible OBC numbers (every number from 0 through 255).

You could test all the unknown OBC values. If the discrete command you want exists, you would almost certainly find it (but I think more likely it does not exist).

Before deciding to do that, read some threads about the damage done to a few models of TV by sending them unknown commands. One thread on that topic is:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?3415
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning.Ive tried about 40 so far.Some are duplicates.Some didn't work.The TV is still working properly as far as I know. Smile
JP1newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still haven't found the code i'm looking for, but I did find some service menu screen codes while searching websites.
The strange thing(at least to me)is one of the ways to access these screens.
One of the ways was to use an "OFA" remote with the "Star" key.First program the remote for the LG code 0056,then press *018.That 018 number just happens to be the EFC number for this code.
How is that able to work?
Does that mean wouldn't have to use JP1 to send a "onetime" code to see if it works?
For instance send *183 for vol up code?
What does the "star" key do?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFA = One For All.
The "Star" key is the Set key.
This is a JP1 remote, and this is how you can test or send a one-time EFC.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: