JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiple device codes in a 2104

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holabr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Multiple device codes in a 2104 Reply with quote

I'm attempting to setup a Sony reciever in my RS 15-2104 by using JP1 and the advanced codes. I have a need to use EFC's from both device 0158 and 0159. Is there a way to do this in one device button? If not, what is the most efficient way to do this? Also does a device code have to be assigned to a device key before it can be used in a key move? As you can tell from the questions, I am new to JP1 and appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple device codes in a 2104 Reply with quote

holabr wrote:
I'm attempting to setup a Sony reciever in my RS 15-2104 by using JP1 and the advanced codes. I have a need to use EFC's from both device 0158 and 0159. Is there a way to do this in one device button?

Many ways.

holabr wrote:
If not, what is the most efficient way to do this?

There isn't a most effitient way because KeyMove memory and upgrade memory are disjoint. You can run out of one before filling the other. You may need to decide between a way that uses more keymoves and a way that uses more upgrade memory based on what else you want to fit in the same configuration.

holabr wrote:
Also does a device code have to be assigned to a device key before it can be used in a key move?

No. A setup code need not be assigned to a device key to be used in a keymove and an EFC (or hex command) need not be assigned to a button within a setup code to be used in a keymove.

Those two facts help make keymoves the simplest way to combine different protocols and/or device numbers within one device mode. If that simple way looks like it will use more keymove memory than you have to spare then you should look at various specific combo protocols and/or the device combiner protocol.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple device codes in a 2104 Reply with quote

holabr wrote:
I'm attempting to setup a Sony reciever in my RS 15-2104 by using JP1 and the advanced codes. I have a need to use EFC's from both device 0158 and 0159.
holabr wrote:
Is there a way to do this in one device button?..
    There are 2 ways you can do this.
    1) use the device combiner in KM to merge the 2 or
    2) Easier - Pick the one that uses the most buttons as the primary and add the keymoves from the other device.
holabr wrote:
If not, what is the most efficient way to do this?.
    Kind of answered above

holabr wrote:
Also does a device code have to be assigned to a device key before it can be used in a key move?.
    The device being keymoved TO must be defined but the one from does not need to be. It is easier to remember the setup if you do.

holabr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer. I'm still a little confused with the Sony 12/15 protocol in KM. Do I then override the device1 with 0158 and device 2 with 0159. If I do this, how do I specify which EFC goes with which when I set up the functions?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holabr wrote:
I'm attempting to setup a Sony reciever in my RS 15-2104 by using JP1 and the advanced codes. I have a need to use EFC's from both device 0158 and 0159. Is there a way to do this in one device button?

holabr wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I'm still a little confused with the Sony 12/15 protocol in KM. Do I then override the device1 with 0158 and device 2 with 0159. If I do this, how do I specify which EFC goes with which when I set up the functions?

You're getting confused in terminology. 158 and 159 are SETUP codes. Setup codes are pointers to tell the remote where to find the information for your device. Device codes are part of the signal that identifies your device. You can imagine the signal looking like this:

Device: Function

devices4.xls might tell you what device codes are used by Setup codes 158 and 159. It's probably easier to put one of the setup codes or your device button (TV,VCR) and use keymoves to get the other functions you want.

But if you want to create one device, try to look up setup codes 158 and 159 and see what device codes they use, then come back with more questions.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:
But if you want to create one device, try to look up setup codes 158 and 159 and see what device codes they use, then come back with more questions.
Setup code 0158 uses device codes 16 and 13; setup code 0159 uses 12 and 13.

One way of setting this up is to make an upgrade using the Sony12 protocol, and put the two most-used device codes in the upgrade. Then, use keymoves from 0158 and/or 0159 for the rest of the keys.

Be sure to read the info on the Sony12 protocol so that you understand how the EFCs or OBCs select between the two device codes.

If you truly need to combine more than 2 device codes into one upgrade, you could use the Sony Combo protocol, which allows up to 4 device codes.

As to which is the most efficient way to set all this up, well what John said is right: it all depends on what else you need to get into the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: