JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Want to buy USB ver 2 cable refuse to pay more than $25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmcmillon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Want to buy USB ver 2 cable refuse to pay more than $25 Reply with quote

I've got me a new laptop without a parallel port, so I need a USB cable as a matter of convenience.

I refuse to pay more for the cable than I did for my remote, so I am offering $25 (via paypal or check or money order, doesn't matter to me). It also doesn't have to be fully assembled, I don't mind some soldering, but it does need to be version 2.

Thanks!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How important to you is it to be able to program the remote using JP1? My guess is that you're probably going to have to get by without using JP1.
jmcmillon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: I might have been unclear Reply with quote

I have a simple style parallel JP1 cable made from an IDE cable that I can (and still do) use from my desktop. I just wanted a USB cable to use from my laptop but can't justify the price.

Why are the USB cables so expensive?

I guess when you go from making your own parallel cable for almost nothing to having to shell out nearly $35 for one, it's sticker shock. Like I said, I didn't pay $35 for my 8811 or 8910 (which is at amazon right now for $17)....
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought $35 was pretty reasonable for a USB cable. They simply cost more since there are more parts and for that matter more expensive parts involved. Even at $35 for the cable and $20 for the remote you are still well under the cost of some of the more expensive remotes that provide no more functionality than the cheaper remotes using jp1.

Since I enjoy being able to say "I did it" I never got concerned about the cost of the cable and have made a few a bought a few.

You could take a look at the schematic and figure out what it would cost for you to build it yourself. I am sure you can save a few $$$'s
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the logic that says just because you've only spent so much on one device, it limits how much you can spend on another device. Following this logic through, if you're lucky enough to get a great deal where you can buy a TV set for just $50, does that mean that you cannot spend more than $50 on a DVD player which will play through that TV set? Does it also limit you to spending no more than $50 on a remote control to work the TV and DVD?

Typically when I get confronted with this argument it's from people who have scored a really cheap DVD player on ebay but it came without a remote. When I offer to pre-program the code they need into one of my OFA remotes, they then ask me to reduce the price of the remote to something lower than what they paid for the DVD player, like the two prices are somehow related.

Back to the subject at hand, the way I look at it, the extra value that JP1 gives to a remote is incalculable, it certainly exceeds the cost of the remote and/or the JP1 cable. So just because you got a good deal on the remote itself shouldn't have any bearing on how much you are prepared to pay for a JP1 cable. We certainly won't charge you any more for the software and the tech support! Smile
jmcmillon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Back to the subject at hand, the way I look at it, the extra value that JP1 gives to a remote is incalculable, it certainly exceeds the cost of the remote and/or the JP1 cable. So just because you got a good deal on the remote itself shouldn't have any bearing on how much you are prepared to pay for a JP1 cable. We certainly won't charge you any more for the software and the tech support! Smile

This is where I completely agree. The value added by JP1 far outweighs the costs associated with it, even if I had to buy a USB cable. My problem is I can't justify the added expense of being able to use JP1 with my laptop (via USB) instead of with my desktop (via inexpensive home made cable). I also don't understand the price difference between the two. If I remember correctly the USB plans I have seen required a specific chip that cost less then $10. The rest of the parts for it I am sure I have laying around. Maybe I should start a group buy of those chips or just buy enough to make shipping reasonable and sell the rest here...

I am very grateful for the wonderful work the JP1 group has done and the wealth of information available and the outstanding help available. I just can't justify another expensive cable when the one I have works just fine!!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcmillon wrote:
I also don't understand the price difference between the two. If I remember correctly the USB plans I have seen required a specific chip that cost less then $10.
Less than $10 plus shipping plus the cost of a PCB... you get the picture. It's also a more complicated circuit that might intimidate many DIYer's.
sfhub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcmillon wrote:
My problem is I can't justify the added expense of being able to use JP1 with my laptop (via USB) instead of with my desktop (via inexpensive home made cable).

You are free to continue using your desktop Smile

You could always buy the unassembled USB kit for $25.99 from diygadget.com You'll have to eat the $0.99 over your budget but I think it is worth it.

I remember a few months back they had a 20% off sale so you can also wait for one of those.

If you really feel everything is way overpriced, you are welcome to assemble your own kit from scratch.
jmcmillon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:

If you really feel everything is way overpriced, you are welcome to assemble your own kit from scratch.

Yeah, that's exactly what I am going to do. I went ahead and ordered three Delcom USB IO chips since they have a $6 charge for orders less than $25. I will be selling the extra two at cost (plus shipping) here as soon as I get them... If anybody is interested shoot me a PM!

I would have just gone with diygadget.com, but he is out of the USB kits and doesn't seem to know when he'll be getting more...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to know what your final cost is. Who are you going to order the PCBs from and how many do you think you'll get?
jmcmillon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'll be interested to know what your final cost is. Who are you going to order the PCBs from and how many do you think you'll get?

I am not going to have PCBs manufactured, I am going to build one using project board and Tommy Tyler's guide AN IMPROVED USB INTERFACE FOR JP1 available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Interface%20Designs/

If I can get people to buy the two extra delcom chips I had to buy, it'll end up costing me less than $20 in cash (but that's not including the cost of my time).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: