JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM & KM Observations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silron1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: RM & KM Observations Reply with quote

Mark very recently quickly released KM v 8.03 fixing the XL'97 problem. Whilst this was being sorted I started to look at RM (Java) and being a Mac enthusiast!! I booted it on my iMac G4 OS 10.02 and found it performed perfectly for me and more 'user-friendly' than KM.
I have started to build upgrades on the Mac and am porting output codes over to my Windows machine, with a bit of a fiddle to make the text file compatable, into IR ready for uploading into a remote.

1- I would like to know if anybody is working on or has produced a Mac version of IR or in fact is anyone going a similar route to me.

2- Here in the UK and Europe we have the OFA 8060 Kameleon 6, my main remote. The 9960 Kameleon 8 is not availiable here. The image for the 8060 in the layout is not in fact an 8060 or anything like. Would it help if I sent a photo of a 8060 to someone?.

For what its worth I found RM mounted far easier on the Mac than on my Windows machine OS XP.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: RM & KM Observations Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
1- I would like to know if anybody is working on or has produced a Mac version of IR or in fact is anyone going a similar route to me.

There is not currently any active development of an IR for Mac, or any other OS.

Quote:
2- Here in the UK and Europe we have the OFA 8060 Kameleon 6, my main remote. The 9960 Kameleon 8 is not availiable here. The image for the 8060 in the layout is not in fact an 8060 or anything like. Would it help if I sent a photo of a 8060 to someone?.

Nils is the guy to want to harass about that! Wink

Quote:
For what its worth I found RM mounted far easier on the Mac than on my Windows machine OS XP.

KM has taken a beating for it's speed for quite some time. Unfortunately, that's not all KM's fault, but mainly Excel's. Considering it is a spreadsheet-that-thinks-it's-an-app, and all of the real work is done by traditional formulas (not VBA code), it's not that bad, IMHO (but then again, I'm biased!)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: RM & KM Observations Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you like RM. I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but there is some more coming soon. I'd be interested to know if there is a way on your MAC to create file associations that would allows RM to be launced automatically when the user opens a .rmdu or .km file.
Mark Pierson wrote:
There is not currently any active development of an IR for Mac, or any other OS.

The ultimate goal for RM is to include all the function of KM and IR, but that is clearly a ways down the road, considering we still don't have support for everything KM does (some missing protocols, Manual Settings, and the Device Combiner)
The advent of the USB interface gives us hope that it'll be feasible on non-PC platforms.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

FWIW, I don't think KM is all that slow for me in opening. I'm using Win98SE and XL2000 on a PII 267 machine. I'd estimate it takes about 4-5 seconds for KM to fully open, which I don't consider "slow". RM (for me) opens about the same time-frame. Maybe a second or 2 quicker. I don't see that as particularly significant. I must admit i haven't *HAD* to make an upgrade for several months, so I have been a bit lax in downloading and using the latest versions of both. maybe this weekend I'll "clean house", dump some of the old KM's i have, (and a bunch of old RM's) and get the latest of both. I was pretty quick on getting IR4.00 tho.
The last Time I made upgrades, I needed three "specialized' ones for my bedroom Mill4 and used BOTH KM and RM to make them. I have to admit, that there was one or two I found KM much easier for me to use, but having used KM for a year and a half no doubt cluded that "opinion" because of it's ease thru familiarity.
Anyway, you've done a simply marvelous job as KM keeper, and wanted you to know you're appreciated, as well as the product you've been producing. Considering the handicaps redmund throws at you, it's outstanding what you've done.

Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RM & KM Observations Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:

Ron, the image for the 8060 is the "generic" I use (happens to be a 9960)for the 3 or 4 remotes I don't have a good image of. Ironically the reason I don't have good pictures is because all but one of them are soft/Kameleon type remotes and what I have been looking for is one for each that shows the bulk of the "buttons". We are still trying to figure out a good way to show the different screens so in the meantime I am just showing ALL buttons for definition purposes on the one image.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, for Kameleon owners with digital cameras. The way to get a shot of the remote with all the buttons illuminated is to take the photo immediately after putting in the batteries. So, if we need such a picture of the URC-8060, maybe one of our European friends can help us out.

Hey Nils, in the meantime, would this shot from Dalepak be useful?

Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one that was pretty close but this one may be better so I will tinker with it. I just edited the one I found and copied buttons around to make all buttons visible.
silron1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on it now! - will send a picture direct Nils over the next few days

Ron
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
Working on it now! - will send a picture direct Nils over the next few days

Ron

Ron, I e-mailed you a new RDF, Map and image. Please try it and let me know how it works before I distribute.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: