JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810w weak signal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knees1339

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: 8810w weak signal? Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that the 8810w has remarkably weaker signal than the RS-1994?

I can use the 1994 from right across the room in broad daylight, where the 8810w fails. I need to bring my 7800 back from work to see how it compares . . .

(edited for spelling)

Last edited by Knees1339 on Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7800 and 1994 both use 2 leds while transmitting. I think the latest OFA's have switched to just one. If your 8810W has just one led which does double duty for learning and transmitting, that may account for a lot of that. 1994 and 7800 also use 4 batteries, some OFA's just use 2. Not sure what the 8810W has, but if it's just 2, that could also contribute to part of that.

Jim
nsysblh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8810w has 4 batteries. I think it just has the one LED. I haven't had problems with mine. Sunlight does sometime cause interference (but I haven't noticed it with this one).

I'm using a 15 year old VCR Rabbit setup for IR between rooms and the 8810w works fine with it too.

Either the batteries are low, or the IR LED may not be very strong.

Have you looked at it on a camcorder while it was transmitting to compare relative IR strength? (to one that works better)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have found that if you make the IR-LED stick out further than they normally do, it improves the range. When I modify URC-6131 remotes I routinely push the IR-LED out a bit further.

Keep in mind also that the 15-1994 had an IR window, so the LED had more angles to send it's signals, whereas with remotes like the URC-8811, it's sticking through a small hole, so it's sides are blocked.
nsysblh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took one of my 8810w remotes apart and pushed the led out as far as possible. It will go out a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch beyond the housing.

Now it controls everything no matter which way it is pointed. Could be a hazzard getting the led snagged on something, though.

I believe the entire problem is the cramped place they put it durring manufacturing (if you are having a problem)

Pull it out a little and it should work reliably in most any direction. Just be careful with the case. I think you do have to actually take it apart, as the lip of the ir led was hooked on the red led on mine. I would have either split the IR or bent the red one if I had tried to pull it out with the case closed.
nsysblh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a week with the family, the led is back to it's original position. Apparently there is some magic force that attracts the led end to the floor when the remote is dropped. Either that, or the 2 year old decided to push it back on her own.

Still works, so I'll look into something besides the led leads to hold it out.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some hot glue would do the trick?
richierich

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question. One of my RS 15-1994 remotes is putting out a weaker IR signal. I did the obvious things (changed batteries with no difference, then exchanged batteries with a 1994 that is working fine) with no luck. Reading the comments above, I have become suspicious that possibly one of the two LEDs has gone bad. However, I figured it would be wise to post here before taking my remote apart. Does anyone have any better suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Richard
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly sounds like a weak IR signal. If you have a digital camera or camcorder with an LCD, you can "see" the IR, as it will show up a white light. Put the 2 1994's side-by-side and have a look while a button (Vol + should work well) on each is pressed.... you might be able to see a difference.

If the suspect remotes IR looks dimmer, then you can probably assume it's faulty somehow. That could be as simple as a bad solder joint. At least you'd have some confirmation before popping it open. Wink

The 1994 has 2 IR LED's. I just checked mine, and both work, though the one under the little "arrow" (the learning LED) is noticably dimmer than the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: