JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

General Instruments Jerrold SRC II Cable Box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: General Instruments Jerrold SRC II Cable Box Reply with quote

Device: Jerrold (General Instruments) Cable Box (non-digital, 12 years old)

Remote: Wal-Mart 88810w
JP1 Tools Available: +cable, +KM, +RM, +IR
Have Original Remote: Yes

The standard setup codes for Jerrold and General Instruments cable box did not work. (0476,0012,0015)

I learned the power key from the original remote, and IR reports the learned signal to be:
Protocol = Jerrold
No Device, No Sub-Device
OBC 7
Hex Cmd 18
EFC 210

I set up KM for my remote, and chose the Jerrold Protocol. When I go to KM's function page, and put in EFC=210, I get an OBC of 231 with a Hex value of 18. When I swap EFC/OBC, and put in an OBC of 007, I get an EFC of 186 and a Hex value of 1F.

I wonder what am I doing wrong? Perhaps there an offset number I need to put in someplace? Any opinions as to which entry is correct, if either? Is there a way to get all three entries to agree with IR?

Many Many Thanks in advance! And Happy Holidays!
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

According to devices.xls, there's three jerrold setup codes, all three in the 1994, C7, and P-8's. they are all Jerrold protocol, with no device or subdevice. They are cable_0003, 0011, and 0014. Try using devices4.xls with these setup codes and see what you get pop up. Your learned signals should give you a clue as to which one fits closest.

BTW: If you want to get a great deal on a remote, go to Wal-mart and get an 8810W for less than 20.00. Twisted Evil

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
BTW: If you want to get a great deal on a remote, go to Wal-mart and get an 8810W for less than 20.00. Twisted Evil Jim

I resemble that remark! Confused

Shhh, don't tell anyone, it is a secret, but you can buy a REALLY GREAT REMOTE AT WAL-MART FOR UNDER $20!
PASS IT ON!

BTW, Many thanks for the help. I am an idiot and forgot to look in devices4.xls before I wrote my note. What a freakin' newbie I am. Sigh.

Oh well! Happy Holidays!
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey steve,

the way you tout Wal-mart and the 8810W you must own mega shares of wal-mart stock, and hoping to make Millions from people buying a pile of 8810W's and driving wal-mart shares to record highs.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, us "postaholics" gotta keep you newbies and "Getting good at this" folks going down the right path.

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: devices4.xls has three jerrold protocols (0003, 0011, 0014) which have EFC for power as 013 (for 0003) and EFC for power as 017 (for 0011 and 0014). The EFC that I learned from the original remote's power button is 210. Just for grins I tried to put in the 0003, 0011, 0014 codes into the 8810w to see what would happen. I don't think these setup codes are preprogrammed in to my 8810w as when I tried to put them in, the LED did not give the 2 blinks to indicate success. So I guess I am back to square one.
usblipitor wrote:
I set up KM for my remote, and chose the Jerrold Protocol. When I go to KM's function page, and put in EFC=210, I get an OBC of 231 with a Hex value of 18. When I swap EFC/OBC, and put in an OBC of 007, I get an EFC of 186 and a Hex value of 1F.
I wonder what am I doing wrong? Perhaps there an offset number I need to put in someplace? Any opinions as to which entry is correct, if either? Is there a way to get all three entries to agree with IR?
Anyone know why this is?
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a very simple device upgrade based on the learned signals and it did not work, but it should have worked, as it is very simple. As it does not work, there are two possibilities: I am an idiot (but we all knew that already), or there is a problem with KM or IR (remotely possible, pardon the pun, as we have been having lots of new versions released lately)

I have uploaded these 3 very small files to the diagnostics area of JP1, and will delete them when the time comes:

00_IR_Jerrold_Cable_Learned_Codes.txt
00_KM_Jerrold_Cable_Device_Upgrade.txt
00_IR_Jerrold_Cable_Upgrade.txt

The first file shows the signals as learned from the original remote: power, ch+ and ch- under the learn tab in IR. The second file is the KM device upgrade I created based on the learned signals, and the third file is the IR file after copying the device and protocol boxes to IR.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an expert wants to take a crack at this I took a hint and zipped the files listed above. They live at :
00_Jerrold.zip.

Many, Many Thanks for all the help! Razz
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 8810w remotes so I learned from one to the other the signals for power, channel+, and channel- to see if I could figure out why this are not working. The original remote decoded as Protocol=Jerrold, OBCs of 7,5, and 1 (see the IR file in 00_Jerrold.zip). After creating a device upgrade using the Jerrold protocol and OBCs of 7,5,1 and seeing that it did not work, I then learned from this 8810w to the other 8810w, and now the decode is Protocol=Sony12, OBCs 21,16,17, and the "Sent Data" is completely different.

This is completely beyond my newbie brain. I upload this new IR file that shows the bad decodes, 00_IR_learned_codes_from_bad_Jerrold_Device_Upgrade.txt to the diagnostic area.

Any help much appreciated. I don't see how this could be caused by user error and am wondering if it is a problem with one of the tools? Thank you oh wise sages!
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DecodeIR.exe correctly identified the protocol as being Jerrold, which makes sense, given that the remote says "Jerrold SRC II", and the cable box says "Jerrold Impulse".

When learning the signal put out from the non-working device upgrade created by KM which uses the "Jerrold" protocol from the drop down box on the left, the second remote learns the signal and DecodeIR.exe now says this protocol is Sony12. The "Jerrold" protocol that KM uses I believe comes from a different source than the one that DecodeIR uses, and since they do not agree on what the protocol should be, one of them is not working, and I say it is the protocol that KM is using that is called "Jerrold" but puts out a sony12 style signal.

After deciding that the problem was the KM "Jerrold" protocol, I decided to have some balls and try to build a new Jerrold protocol for KM to bite on. In my other thread, Jon and Jason did a great job edumakating me on the protocol builder spreadsheet, which allowed me to create a new Jerrold Protocol. Using essentially the same KM device upgrade but replacing the "Jerrold" protocol from the drop down list with the protocol created in protocol builder, the damn thing works perfectly!

Many Many Thanks to Jason and Jon!

Whomever is in charge of protocols might want to have a look at that KM drop down box Jerrold protocol, as it does not seem to agree with DecodeIR.exe's version of what a Jerrold protocol should look like. I have uploaded my (working) KM Device Upgrade with the new revised protocol here, and have uploaded my Protocol_Builder save file here.

I am so happy! Razz Razz
Now if only I could get the RCA ColorTrak Protocol to cooperate... Wink
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, I am now a postaholic at 201 posts (most of them I think are in this thread Razz )
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Whomever is in charge of protocols might want to have a look at that KM drop down box Jerrold protocol, as it does not seem to agree with DecodeIR.exe's version of what a Jerrold protocol should look like. I have uploaded my (working) KM Device Upgrade with the new revised protocol here, and have uploaded my Protocol_Builder save file here.

The first glaring difference I see between the official Jerrold and your version is the lack of any Frequency and Duty Cyle (the first 2 bytes = "00 00"). There's some other subtle differences as well. I checked both KM and RM and they seem to calculate Jerrold the same way. I'm wondering if the decoder might have been fooled by something? Hopefully John will take a look at it.

As for that Sony12 decode, I'd guess that's also a mis-decode based on the above.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original learned signals are about 5% slower than Jerrold protocol. I doubt anything cares about 5% slow, so the Jerrold upgrade should work.

The upgrade looks right. The protocol 6 the KM provides looks exactly right (first two bytes 00 00 as they should be) perfectly consistent with DecodeIR. I don't know what glaring difference Mark is commenting on.

The upgraded IR.EXE txt file also looks right. It assigns the device upgrade to the CBL button.

The learned signals reported from that are actually from TV/0000, not from the upgrade. I notice the .txt file in fact has TV/0000 assigned to the TV key, so I think you failed to press the CBL key before learning those.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I see which glaring difference it is.

Jerrold has no frequence. KM, RM, DecodeIR, and the Pid 6 built into other UEI remotes all agree on that. Steve's PB file gives it a frequency.

I don't think that should matter. Jerrold's ON pulses are too short for the frequency to do anything real. I think it generates the same signal as it would with no frequency.

Steve's file is also 5% slower than normal Jerrold, just as his original remote is 5% slower. I still don't believe that should matter, but I'm down to two theories at this point:

1) Steve messed up in testing and the original KM upgrade would have worked if tested properly.

2) 5% speed difference somehow matters.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thanks for looking over this string! I was wondering where you were! I will take out the frequency in my PB and see if it stops working. I will also relearn the codes and press the CBL button first this time Smile

Question: If a protocol has no frequency what frequency does the remote use? I am guessing that when a protocol has no frequency listed, any frequency will work?

Thanks for all the advice! Happy Holidays!
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: