JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fav/Scan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Fav/Scan Reply with quote

I know that you can't include the FAV/SCAN in an upgrade without some sort of hack, but I used to always put it in KM and it would copy over as a keymove into IR.

When I setup my Motorola DVR, however (BTW, the "A" key in the upgrades didn't work, I learned EFC 77 for that key, not 246) I notice with the GI Cable protocol, I can't even set the FAV/SCAN as a keymove within the spreadsheet. Seems like in the old KM, I could...

Any words of wisdom as to why this is?

Thanks,

-N
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item 1: If you found a "mistake" in an upgrade, just post your better upgrade in the file section so the next guy gets the benefit of your find. That's how most of the upgrades got there in the first place. Nobody really has time to got through and conduct any sort of verification on each file that's uploaded by a forum member. There are certainly PLENTY of mistakes in many of the files here.

Item 2: Hard to address your Fav/Scan question without you specifying the remote you're using. The KM file in question might also be of help in looking at this.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most remotes, keymoves won't work on the FAV/SCAN button. The only way to program it on such remotes (other than using the extender) is to use the FAV/SCAN special protocol. The only exception to this is when the protocol has been specially designed to allow use of the FAV/SCAN button, such as with the hacked ReplayTV protocol.
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
For most remotes, keymoves won't work on the FAV/SCAN button. The only way to program it on such remotes (other than using the extender) is to use the FAV/SCAN special protocol. The only exception to this is when the protocol has been specially designed to allow use of the FAV/SCAN button, such as with the hacked ReplayTV protocol.

Rob,

I understand what you're saying, but here's the rub: In KM 7.11, the EXACT same upgrade (in this case, a Moto Cable DVR box 6416, http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3209) permits the Fav/Scan to be programmed, moved, and works fine. 8.xx doesn't.

-N
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with the FAV button is that the restrictions are not consistent from one remote to another, so I would need to know which remote you are talking about in order to be able to comment further. I assumed you were talking about your 15-1994 and I know for a fact that you cannot use keymoves on the FAV button on that remote (unless you use the extender).
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The trouble with the FAV button is that the restrictions are not consistent from one remote to another, so I would need to know which remote you are talking about in order to be able to comment further. I assumed you were talking about your 15-1994 and I know for a fact that you cannot use keymoves on the FAV button on that remote (unless you use the extender).

OK, maybe that's the deal - I use the Extender 3 (the original, I don't know where those are now) so I'd like to be able to move to that key in the KM upgrade. Is there a way to override that? I don't see an entry in KM for "1994 extender" like I do for another model in there... (And yes, you surmise correctly that I'm talking about my 1994s)

Thanks!

-N
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to put seperate entries in there for the regular and extended versions of the URC-6131 because they use different formats of keymoves, but it would be WAY too much work to put a seperate entry for the extended version of EVERY remote, just for restricted buttons like FAV/SCAN.

It's easier to deal with the limited number of complaints from people using extenders than it was to deal with all the newbie questions about why the keymove on the FAV/SCAN button doesn't work in un-extended remotes.

Therefore, I suggest that you assign the function to a button like the 1L button in KM, and then after you have copied the upgrade over to IR, you can edit the keymove and change the assigned button to the FAV/SCAN button.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differences between extended and un-extended remotes are another reason to use RM Very Happy
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Differences between extended and un-extended remotes are another reason to use RM Very Happy

You're probably right. I just am so anal-retentive that I hate to have multiple file types floating around for the same tasks. Too bad RM can't save as KM file type...

In any case, thanks youse guys for the clarification - I guess I could always just keep using KM 7.xx for this upgrade, don't seem to be an adverse effect from that...

-N
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncoig wrote:
I guess I could always just keep using KM 7.xx for this upgrade
You could also setup that key move on KM's Key Moves sheet. To do so, for the function you want assigned to Fav/Scan select "(upgrade)" as the Bound Device and enter "$14" as the Bound Key. Then copy the resulting Key Move Code from the Setup sheet and use IR's Import button on the Key Moves tab.

Granted it involves a few additional steps in order to get it into IR, but it would result in everything being contained in one upgrade file.
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
You could also setup that key move on KM's Key Moves sheet. To do so, for the function you want assigned to Fav/Scan select "(upgrade)" as the Bound Device and enter "$14" as the Bound Key. Then copy the resulting Key Move Code from the Setup sheet and use IR's Import button on the Key Moves tab.

Ah. Very nice. Is there a difference between selecting "Upgrade" as the device versus the device I actually want to control (VCR, CBL, etc)? I would rather specify, but I don't know if that has any far-reaching effects that I don't appreciate here. It seems to work when I choose something else, but I don't know if this is by design or accident. Smile

Thanks,

-N
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device you select on the Keymove worksheet of KM is the device index in the remote to which you want to bind the keymove.

If you select (upgrade), the keymove will be bound to the same device to which you assign this upgrade when you import it into IR.

This worksheet is NORMALLY used when you want certain functions from the device upgrade you're building in KM to be used as keymoves by OTHER devices in your remote.

Keymoves bound to the upgrade itself can usually get created automatically by the function assignment process on the "Buttons" worksheet. But you get the same net effect by creating the keymove on the "Keymove" worksheet and binding it to the (upgrade) device. Mark suggested this as a workaround so you could have your FAV function assignment defined within your upgrade, even though KM was not allowing you to do it on the "Buttons" tab.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
ncoig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
The device you select on the Keymove worksheet of KM is the device index in the remote to which you want to bind the keymove.

If you select (upgrade), the keymove will be bound to the same device to which you assign this upgrade when you import it into IR.

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else lurking under the surface there.

This solves the problem nicely.

Thanks for all the tips, er... Trips.

-N
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: