JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8811 w/ Ext3.1 "Sticky Shift" Keymoves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: 8811 w/ Ext3.1 "Sticky Shift" Keymoves Reply with quote

I have an 8811 that I'm using the extender 3.1 with, and I'm wondering if there is a way that I can make a keymove/macro that will do whatever it's supposed to do, and then act as if the shift key was pressed. My ultimate goal with this is to create a "menu mode" for my remote...I xshift all the menu commands to the menu buttons, and then when you press one of the buttons (after pressing xshift), it'll perform that function, but the remote will stay in xshift mode, so that you can press another xshifted menu key without shifting again...and then when you're done, you press Exit and that key will shift you back to normal, and then you can start pressing other keys. I've tried this with making keymoves with a hex command of 2, and the same with macros, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be accomplished?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting concept but after looking at the extender I see no way it could currently be done.

I think if a lot of people were interested in this type of function somone may rise to writing a special protocol or enhanced extender for this but I don't think anyone is ready to jump in on it.

I also am not able to come up with any kind of solution for this that would eliminate having to press a "shift" key before every function. One possibility though is to create an upgrade with the same protocol etc. that would be assigned to an unused device button with the functions you want to perform on base buttons such as the number buttons or other more intuitive buttons. You would then just switch to that device, perform the functions then switch back to the original device. Kind of like being in TV mode then pressing AUX, 1,3,4,2,5,up, down, etc. then TV.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at this carefully, so maybe I'm missing something, but I think the advanced select protocol is a decent way to do approximately what is requested here.

XShift is on whenever register 4C has a C0 in it. You can create a KeyMove using the advanced select protocol that sets register 4C to C0. You can bind that to some phantom keycode.

You can put a DSM on each key that stays in XSift mode so it does its normal function followed by that phantom to re enter Xshift mode (the keyboard logic turns xshift mode off as you press each key that gets xshifted).

If you press any key that doesn't have that sort of dsm then it will end xshift mode. If the backlight timer expires, that also would end xshift mode (backlight timer runs even when the backlight isn't enabled).

Nils, Is there a clear of R4C that I missed which would break this? Or this isn't the feature you understood was requested? Or why was your answer negative after what I assume was a more careful look at the issues than I made?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I think we both answered the same question. I didn't think of putting a DSM on each key within his "menu" function that would perform the function then turn the xshift back on. In the way you are describing he would not have to hit a single exit button but any that doesn't have a DSM on it work work.

I see no clear of Register 4C that would cause this a problem.
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put this idea on hold and decided to use the extender's..."enhanced" device selection to force the xshifted menu key to change to a dummy device key which contains all the menu functions (this is a blank device upgrade with the exception of the menu functions), and then when you press exit, it will switch you back on over to CBL mode (which is the only place my remote would be entering "menu mode"). This might seem like a crude way to do it, but it satisfies me...when I get it working or realize it can't be done, I'll post back.
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, John, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you. If I find that to be more practical, I'll go ahead with it.
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got curious and went with John's suggestion and it worked beautifully. I put the advanced select 4C C0 keymove on Phantom1, then put DSMs on all the keys I wanted to be a part of "menu mode" (which all pointed to another device mode). I have one more question, though...if I wanted to do this with shift too, not just xshift, what register and value would I need to change?
Thanks a lot for the help, guys.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift would be 4C 80.

The extender decides the meaning of each key (based on the current setting of 4C: 00=normal, 80=shift, C0=xshift) at effectively the same time that it unconditionally clears 4C back to 00. So the action selected by that process is executed after 4C has been cleared. So 4C is always zero when the action is executed and any change to 4C during that action affects the NEXT key and is independent of the state of 4C that was used in selecting the current action.
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense...add 80 to shift and C0 to xshift...I should have figured that out. Thanks a lot for the help.
raycmaple

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wanted a similar capability, and I had a couple questions about this approach.

1. Is the advanced select protocol available for the 15-2116, and will it work with extender2?

2. It seems to me the same effect could be achieved with toadtog - at least with the 2116 extender. Define a key to toggle a bit to "shift-lock", then put the appropriate toadtog keymove on all the menu keys.

3. What would be ideal is a shiftlock protocol in the extender, since this would eliminate the need to put macros on the menu buttons. Any idea how difficult this would be to implement?

Ray
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advanced select protocol works on all S3C80 models of remote (that does in clude the 15-2116) and works with or without extenders.

The particular register numbers and the value you put in the register (the 4C and the 80 or C0) may vary between models and extenders. But I think they probably are the same for all the extenders that support xshift at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: