JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extending Fav channels for URC-9910B01

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radunn

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Extending Fav channels for URC-9910B01 Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a newbie to JP1 and just downloaded my settings to the PC. I am curious as to if there's an extender etc. for adding more than 10 channels to the Fav button.

Also, I'm getting a "memory full" display when trying to add more keys etc. I was told that having the JP1 tools should help with this. How do I use ir.exe to decrease my memory usage?

Last, is there a help file for configuring uploads to the remote? In advance, thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MEM FULL message usually indicates that your learning memory is full. JP1 gets rid of the need for using learning because you can create or load upgrades yourself.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
radunn

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The MEM FULL message usually indicates that your learning memory is full. JP1 gets rid of the need for using learning because you can create or load upgrades yourself.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

Thank you for the reply. I went to the recommended site; scanning through "creating an upgrade." As of now I'm lost and don't know where to begin. I'll have to re-read it several times Very Happy Basically, how does the JP1 replace learned keys?

On the Learned Keys tab AUX:L2 (left) states that ir.exe doesn't know how to analyze the signal; to save the data and post to diagnostics jp1 group. How do I save tab results? Again, thanks
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn signals, use IR.EXE to read contents of the remote's EEPROM memory, use KM or RM and enter codes into those programs to create upgrades. Then use IR again to send upgrades to remote. Clear the learning memory (there are buttons in IR to do this) and start learning again.

If learning fails the first time, then try again. There is also a FAQ on this site describing the best strategy for learning.

If you have tried hard and still can't get IR to decode the learned signal into something you can use then note that IR has a Save function. It will save a text file of about 18K. Go to the File Section, Diagnosis Area of this forum, upload your save IR file and then com back to this thread and post a link to that file together with a full description of the problem.

People on this site like problems to solve but only if they are given enough information to go on and only if someone has tried to the best of their ability to help themself.

If you manage to create a successful upgrade that isn't already listed in the File Section here then please upload it for others to use.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Extending Fav channels for URC-9910B01 Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
Hi,
I'm a newbie to JP1 and just downloaded my settings to the PC. I am curious as to if there's an extender etc. for adding more than 10 channels to the Fav button.
Yes, there is an extender for 8910/9910/HTPro that permits 15 mini-macros which can be used for channels. It also allows you to program things onto the CommSkip button.
radunn

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Extending Fav channels for URC-9910B01 Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Yes, there is an extender for 8910/9910/HTPro that permits 15 mini-macros which can be used for channels. It also allows you to program things onto the CommSkip button.

Regarding the 15 mini-macros how many keystrokes does each macro allow and is each channel assigned to one macro? Is this in addition to the 10 fav channels?

Regarding CommSkip my original remote doesn't have this feature, but you're saying it can be used for the macros of the extender 8910/9910HTPro? Thanks
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the 8910 extender's ReadMe file, and it works exactly as advertised, stopping between each mini-macro, whatever it contains, channels or other things:
Quote:
You can use IR to define a Fav list of up to 15 mini-macros of up to 5 keys each. IR handles all 15 mini-macros together as one line item in its Scan/Fav tab. Within that line item, the mini macros are delimited by "{pause}". IR also allows you to create additional whole Fav lists; But the remote can't use them.

The extender operates the Fav list differently than the unextended remote
in three important aspects:

1) The extender executes just one mini-macro each time you press the Fav key (advancing through them circularly). The unextended remote will continue executing the mini-macros with 3 second pauses in between until you press another key to stop it.

2) The extender will switch the temporary device index to equal the Fav
device index whenever it starts a Fav mini-macro. The unextended remote only recognizes the Fav list if the device index already matches the Fav device index.

I never got to understand why the remote can't use more than one list on Fav key Sad for different devices.

As far as ComSkip - I can't give you an answer you probably want, since I use it as an ordinary key. But see here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4895&highlight=nobody+asked. ComSkip is worthless in an unextended 8910, you can't put anything on it.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I went to the recommended site; scanning through "creating an upgrade." As of now I'm lost and don't know where to begin. I'll have to re-read it several times Very Happy Basically, how does the JP1 replace learned keys?

JP1 doesn't "replace" the learned keys but...
When you learn a function to a button, it occupies a great deal of memory, so you are usually limited to about 20 learned keys. With JP1, once you learn some functions, you upload this data from your remote into IR.exe and it gets decoded on the "Learned" tab (if you have learned them properly and have the correct updated version of decodeIR.dll in the same directory as IR.exe). You then use this decoded data to create a device upgrade (using either KM or RM). The result of this upgrade you build is a series of hex code that you then copy and paste back INTO IR.exe. This upgrade will take up much less memory that your learned functions, allowing you to delete the learned functions and use that memory for something else (e.g. MORE learned functions, an extender, ...)
radunn wrote:
On the Learned Keys tab AUX:L2 (left) states that ir.exe doesn't know how to analyze the signal; to save the data and post to diagnostics jp1 group. How do I save tab results? Again, thanks
This usually indicates one of several problems:
(1) You have "bad" learns. This could be caused by:
(a) weak batteries in one or both remotes;
(b) moving the remotes relative to one another during the learn;
(c) incorrect learning technique - you must ensure that the remote TO WHICH you want to learn has commenced learning before you depress the button on your OEM remote ("TO BE LEARNED"). You must also remember to KEEP THE OEM REMOTE BUTTON DEPRESSED until the learning remote indicates it has successfully learned the signal;
(d) your copy of decodeIR.dll is not up-to-date - download it from the tools>main area.

(2) You have indeed discovered a new protocol that IR and decodeIR.dll are unable to decode, in which case you save your entire learned IR file with appropaite descriptive notes (there is no way to save "just" the learned tab), upload it to the diagnostic section of the file area of this site, and post a link to it here, at which point someone will have a look and help you sort it out.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: