JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1.1 on Comcast remote URC-1057BG0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topaz525

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: JP1.1 on Comcast remote URC-1057BG0 Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm new to the JP1 and successfully made a simlpe JP1 cable for my URC-8810 and it seems to work just fine.
I just got Comcast digital cable and it came with a URC-1057BG0 with a JP1.1 connector. Has anyone seen this yet?
My JP1 cable is unable to communicate with this Comcast remote but works on my 8810.
If anyone wants a picture of the Comcast remote let me know where to upload the image.

Thanks,
Steve
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a photo section in the yahoo JP-1 group files area. You can't communicate with it because likely there's no rdf for it in your IR program. You'll need to make at least a starter rdf for it to begin communicating with it. I assume that Jp1.1 connector was a typo and you really meant a JP-1 connector (6 pins like your 8810 has)? I'll see if the OFA site has anything on this model (they don't)

BTW, are you sure it says BGO and not B00? If it's printed on the battery cover maybe the printing got a little damaged?

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if it really is a JP1 remote, IR should be able to download from it even without an RDF.

What messages is IR giving when you try?
topaz525

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
When I looked at the Yahoo group I saw the file area as being almost full but now I see that the photo area has a seperate storage limit so I'll post some photos there this evening.
So what you're saying is that I need to have an rdf file even if I'm just trying to run the test communications option in IR4? I know I'm probably going to need some help in creating this file from one of the experts here.
The JP1.1 is not a typo. It has it silkscreened right on the PC board next to the connector, I'll include a photo of it if I can zoom in on it. The BG0 is printed on a sticker inside the battery compartment and the remote looks brand new so I guess this may be a new remote type?

Hopefully I clarified everything, let me know if you need any more info regarding this or what else I can try to get it to communicate with it.

Steve
topaz525

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
I get the No response from remote message. I tried setting the Transmission Delay to 1600 but that didn't make a difference.
I'll get some photos of it up tonight, I need to borrow a camera today from a friend so look for some photos of it in the Yahoo groups.
Thanks for your help!

Steve
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Have you taken the remote apart and seen if it has an eeprom? Seems odd tho that they would have installed pins if there was no eeprom present. If you do take it apart, may as well take and post pix of both sides of the PCB.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDF is used by IR to decipher the EEPROM contents. It is NOT needed to simply do a download. Think about it, anytime a new JP1 remote is released, it needs to d/l'd by one of the experts BEFORE the RDF can be created. It's usually because of a raw dump that people like Rob can whip up a starter RDF.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that this is one of the very new breed of UEI remotes that use some sort of flash MCU chip, rather than the traditional ROM MCU chip with an EEPROM.

At this time there is no way to program these remotes using the current JP1 tools.

As for the "JP1 1" thing, I suspect what you are seeing is both the "JP1" label and the indicator for the '1' pin.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download any JP-1 remote, but that's READING the eeprom. "Communicating" is talking back and forth, which requires writing (intelligibly) with the eeprom as well. That's where IR needs at least the starter rdf.

If it's a "new" remote that IR doesn't recognize the signature for, IR will tell you that. Here he said that IR reported no response from the remote which indicates to me that IR didn't "see" an eeprom at all much less not recognize the signature. Even assuming that a JP-1.1 interface has the pins changed around from "normal" I'd think he'd get a different message than a "no response" message. (ie one of the typical messages if the cable is inverted. If I forget to flip the switch on my switchbox, I don't get a No response message, I get the bad interface message. In this case, since he gets the no response message he can't download the eeprom contents to even see the signature. Until he can, no one could make a starter rdf.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got confirmation from UEI that this is indeed one of the new flash remotes, so there's absolutely no way you're going to be able to program it using JP1 for the foreseeable future.
topaz525

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded some pictures of the remote to the photo area under a folder called URC-1057. Sorry about the quality, I'm not a photographer to say the least! Maybe if I try again with some natural light I could get some better pictures.

The connecter does in fact have the JP1.1 designation. The IC is labeled as follows:
SST 65P542R
8 - C - SG
0318087-A6
UEIC - 0103

Hopefully someone someday will be able to figure this one out if this tends to be a trend for remotes made by UEI.

Thanks to everyone who responded and keep up the great work!

Steve
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word I hear is that UEI will continue to use the standard ROM/E2 combination for their retail remotes, there's only a fw select cable OEM remotes that are going toget the flash chip.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The word I hear is that UEI will continue to use the standard ROM/E2 combination for their retail remotes, there's only a fw select cable OEM remotes that are going toget the flash chip.
Sounds like a thinly disguised beta test to me Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: