JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Info on 8910 and 8811 and JP1.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfenton

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Info on 8910 and 8811 and JP1.2 Reply with quote

First of all everyone here rocks. My remote is so much better.

My original 8811 is starting to die...my daughter loves to smack it on the table. So I'm going to have to break out my backup and as a result I'm looking to get another backup. I'm looking to buy a remote from Rob, but have a few questions.

How much bigger is the 8910 compared to 8811? Also can you change the text that is displayed? I can't find the post about it (if there was one). Does the LCD light up also?

Can I use my same configuration and extender (from 8811) on a new 8910?

How far away is the JP1.2 software and cable? I'm not asking for a deadline, but more months away or weeks? I won't hold anyone to a date. Just wanted to know because I might wait then to buy a new remote.

And last, if I order a new remote are any more 8811's coming in or am I just better off ordering the 8910? Thanks for the help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on 8910 and 8811 and JP1.2 Reply with quote

jfenton wrote:
How much bigger is the 8910 compared to 8811?

They're exactly the same size. In fact, you could swap the lower halves if felt inclined to do so.

jfenton wrote:
can you change the text that is displayed? I can't find the post about it (if there was one).

Using the extender, I believe you can, but I've never tried it.

jfenton wrote:
Does the LCD light up also?

Yes

jfenton wrote:
Can I use my same configuration and extender (from 8811) on a new 8910?

No, they're different remotes.

jfenton wrote:
How far away is the JP1.2 software and cable? I'm not asking for a deadline, but more months away or weeks? I won't hold anyone to a date. Just wanted to know because I might wait then to buy a new remote.

I'd say it would be within the next two months, but having said that, I don't think any of the current US JP1.2 models are as appealing as the URC-8910.

jfenton wrote:
And last, if I order a new remote are any more 8811's coming in or am I just better off ordering the 8910? Thanks for the help.

I am unable to get any more URC-8811 remotes at this time, and I only have about a dozen left. By comparison, I have plenty of URC-8910 remotes and I am able to get more.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on 8910 and 8811 and JP1.2 Reply with quote

jfenton wrote:
Also can you change the text that is displayed? I can't find the post about it (if there was one).
To piggyback on Rob's reply, there is a custom mode name special protocol (included in the extender) that allows you to make the LCD display whatever you want (up to the nine character limit) on the LCD display.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on 8910 and 8811 and JP1.2 Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
jfenton wrote:
Also can you change the text that is displayed? I can't find the post about it (if there was one).

To piggyback on Rob's reply, there is a custom mode name special protocol (included in the extender) that allows you to make the LCD display whatever you want (up to the nine character limit) on the LCD display.
To piggy-back on the Capn's reply, if you use the extender with the 8910 you can have your PC sync the time when you connect via JP1 and the custom mode name special protocol (don't worry; easier done than said) allows you to change the characters on the left of the LCD screen with 5 characters on the top line and 4 below. Thus you can have displays such as:

Code:
BUSH   10:00
 DVD      AM

KITCH  10:00
  TV      AM

SONY   10:02
 CAM      AM

If you get an 8910 then I suggest you start with a basic setup and then install the extender as this allows you to do the above plus re-assign the special buttons labelled ComSkip and Fav and also set up macros on the device keys etc. I have several remotes (Kameleon 4-in-1 URC8040, URC7562, Topline8, etc.) and routinely use the 8910 despite its slight bulkiness. The Robman also sells modified 6131's which are a bit smaller, I believe, and which get good reviews from PVR users.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am unable to get any more URC-8811 remotes at this time, and I only have about a dozen left. By comparison, I have plenty of URC-8910 remotes and I am able to get more.

I was in Fry's in Houston last week, and they had a shelf full of 8811s @$24.95
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: