JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Basic Newbie Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevideofan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Basic Newbie Questions Reply with quote

I am interested in trying JP1. I have just purchased a RS 15-2117, which pretty much does everything I need OOTB. But I would like to mess around a little with it and I also have an older OFA 7070 (I think) Pro Producer 7 remote which I believe is JP1 ready. My questions are:

I am using a Pentium II 400 running Win98. Is this compatible with the JP1 software (I have Excel 2000)?

Also, I believe I only have one printer port (which is connected to the printer). It appears that the only available JP1 cables available also use this port. Do I have to disconnect my printer every time I want to program my remote or is there something I am missing?

Thanks, Donavan
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that you are compatible enough with your system. You will need to make sure you have the MS toolkit installed for Excel to use KM or Java runtime installed to use RM which are both for single device upgrades.

IR which combines all devices and does the communications with the remote should run fine.

And, yes, to use IR prior to 11AM or so today you would have to disconnect the printer to connect a jp1 cable. After 11AM or so a new version of IR 4.00 was released which supports a serial and a USB cable. Instruction will soon be available to build either cable and I suspect the current vendors of jp1 cables will be selling kits and completed cable shortly.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an A/B switchbox so I can use both my interface and printer on the same parallel port (No cable switching). The box ran me less than 10.00 so you may want to consider that when you total up the costs to use a USB or Serial interface. The simple parallel cable can be had in kit form for less than 10.00, shipped, from one of our dedicated vendors. Both of your remotes should find adequate support with all the software.

Jim
thevideofan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the quick response. The A/B switch is a great idea. I had not thought of that.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my switchbox on my desk within easy reach. A goes to the printer, and B has a 4 foot Jp-1 cable always attached, and coiled behind it. When I am going to do some IR task, it's a simple matter to plug the remote in, and switch to position B. Sure beats dragging the tower out to swap cables. I have one empty USB slot, but why shell out the coin for a cable and the required adapter when this has been trouble free (and a TON cheaper).

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: