JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with generating code for Apex AD-1130W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
esojmc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Help with generating code for Apex AD-1130W Reply with quote

I am trying to generate code for my URC-7800 remote so I can control my new WalMart special Apex AD-1130W DVD player. I read "JP1 for beginners" guide and here is what I've done:

I used my 7800 and learned the keys I want from the original remote. I then start up KM and select URC-7800 as the remote, DVD as the device type and for setup code I just typed in 2047. I then plugged in the EFC values for the different keys from IR into KM.

I then copy/paste the upgrade code into IR and write it out to the remote and it doesn't work Crying or Very sad

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong? BTW, I played around with different protocol (NEC2, APEX) and none of that worked.

Thanks for your time.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you learned the buttons from the Apex remote, in addition to EFC values it should also have displayed both a PROTOCOL and one or two DEVICE CODES. You didn't mention whether you entered these into KM. (You mentioned playing with various protocols, which leads me to believe you didn't select the protocol correctly).

Also, the 2047 setup code you decided upon is the absolutel maximum value allowed, I would suggest that DVD/1130 might be a better idea.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When IR decoded the signals and displayed those EFC numbers it also displayed a protocol name and device number and maybe subdevice number. What were those?

When you create the upgrade with KM, you must use the protocol, device and subdevice from those decodes.

There are lots of predefined upgrades for Apex DVD's in the files in the Yahoo JP1 group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/DVD/

I don't see an exact match for your model. But one of those might work anyway. If you tell us that protocol, device and subdevice we could tell which would work.
esojmc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys for all your help!
You're right, I didn't enter in the "Device" from IR into KM, I missed that step. Here is what IR->Learned Signals have for my learned codes:

Protocol: NEC2 (1 Device)
Device: 4
Sub-Device: blank

I'll try again with the following and post here with my results:

Setup Code: 1130
Protocol Name: NEC2
Main Device: 4

Yes, please tell me if there is already a code that will work. But I would also like to try create the code myself just to learn how to do it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Apex files use NEC device 4, so there's a very good chance that one of them will work your player.

However, I am a little concerned that you list the protocol as "NEC2 (1 device)" because that format of display hasn't been used for a while, which tells that you are either using an old version of IR.exe or that you don't have DecodeIR installed.
esojmc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, you are brilliant!

I just checked and I *was* using an old (3.12) version of IR. I just downloaded the latest one (3.22 Beta). "Protocol" for my learned signal now says NEC1 and "device" is still 4.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esojmc wrote:
Robman, you are brilliant!

Please don't feed the animals! Laughing

Actually, for those who didn't know, Rob is the primary reason JP1 exists in the first place. He took hold of it and turned it into what you see today.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the Apex1130W uses the same codes as the Apex1100W.

I don't understand that stuff about the "shifting" in the 1100W, but I assume there must be some significant advantage to the special protocol Rob created to deal with it.

You should try the Apex-1100W.txt upgrade Rob posted in the DVD folder
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/DVD/

I know that contradicts what I said about the protocol in KM needing to match the protocol decoded in IR. But I assume the Apex1100W protocol is a form of NEC1 customized to fix "shifting" for Apex.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I don't understand that stuff about the "shifting" in the 1100W, but I assume there must be some significant advantage to the special protocol Rob created to deal with it.

Many Apex remotes have an actual "Shift" button that enables the secondary functions for many buttons such as the arrows (like the scientific calculator example you used before). It actually puts the device in another mode of some sort, since "Shift" is displayed on-screen. IIUC, Rob's protocol eliminates the need for the OEM shift.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the lowdown on the 1100w.

Rather than include seperate ARROW button on the OEM remote, Apex (in their infinite wisdom) decided to force the user to use the SHIFT button in conjunction with the numeric buttons to navigate on screen menus. The SHIFT button doesn't change the OEM remote, it actually sends a signal which puts the DVD player into "shift" mode. Another press of SHIFT is required to cancel the "shift" mode.

So, in order to navigate a menu, the user would have to first press SHIFT, then a number key (where 2=up, 3=left, 5=right, 7=down and 4=select) to navigate and select the desired option. Then press SHIFT again to cancel the shift mode.

What my "Apex 1100w" protocol does is create some additional EFCs where the remote sends a quick press of SHIFT before and after a numeric button. You would then assign these new EFCs to the arrow buttons. The numeric buttons continue to work as normal. When you use the arrow buttons you see a quick flash of the word "SHIFT" on the screen but otherwise they operate as normal arrow buttons.

The PLAY button also acts as a SELECT button, so I normally just program the PLAY function to the SELECT button rather than use the shifted-4 function.
esojmc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't seem to get it to work Crying or Very sad I downloaded Apex-1100W.txt and ran it through KM (8.01). I changed the remote to URC-7800/6800. I then started up ir (3.22 Beta) and loaded up my saved remote file. I deleted my old DVD (Mintek) from "Devices" and then I added new device and copy/pasted info from KM. Then I went into the "Protocol" section and "Add" the copy/paste from the KM protocol section. I upload it to the remote but nothing happens when I press any of the dvd buttons.

Any idea what i'm doing wrong? Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't seen what OBCs the 1130 uses, so there's no guarantee that the 1130 uses the same codes as the 1100w.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an off-chance, and something you didn't mention (maybe you just forgot to mention), did you assign the new dvd device upgrade setup code number to the dvd device button on IR's "general" tab?

Also, make sure to delete any learned signals you may have had to the dvd device mode. It doesn't hurt to re-download and check.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
We haven't seen what OBCs the 1130 uses, so there's no guarantee that the 1130 uses the same codes as the 1100w.

Sorry. I didn't look at the upgrade files closely before leaping to that conclusion. The 1100W seems to use different OBC numbers than most of the other Apex DVD's that match NEC1 device 4. So Rob is right. I had no good basis for guessing that the 1100W commands would work with the 1130W.

So you could try some other upgrade file, such as the Apex-3201, or you could just build your own based on your own decoded signals.
esojmc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the ppl on this group I have done my first upgrade. I learned the commands from the original remote and converted them using KM. I've posted the upgrade file on Yahoo! jp1 group.

Thanks again for all your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: