JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using RS 15-2117 with 3 TiVos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Using RS 15-2117 with 3 TiVos? Reply with quote

I have 3 TiVos in my family room and have each one set up with a separate remote address (using the peanut remotes).

Will I be able to use JP1 to control all 3 TiVos with the 15-2117?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely
TommyB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good...I figured I would make sure before I got too involved with programming it.

Once I get a JP1 cable, I most likely be back for more advice!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be here
TommyB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question about the 15-2117, can the device names on the LCD be renamed (i.e. TiVo1, TiVo2, TiVo3 in place of CBL, SAT, etc.)?
Lenroc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but only using an Extender (I believe only Extender 2 only).

The extender adds a lot of functionality, but requires you to actually spend some time setting up "simple" things like device selection. It's not really hard, just takes some time.

BTW- though the hard buttons won't change labels (obviously), if you program CBL, SAT, and VCR to control Tivos (on a non-extended 2117), the LCD will display "VCR" when either of those devices is selected, since the Tivo is controlled by a VCR code (VCR 0618, in my case).
sfhub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc wrote:
The extender adds a lot of functionality, but requires you to actually spend some time setting up "simple" things like device selection. It's not really hard, just takes some time.

It probably became simpler since you last looked at ext2.

The 15-2116 ext2 version I was using recently came with default macros
for all the device selection buttons which emulated what a stock remote
would do, sans volume punch through (which is easily added).

All that was needed for basic device functionality was to set the device #s,
just like on the stock remote.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. I actually just downloaded the ext2 a few days ago, but I read all the docs thoroughly before trying the install, and so I was fully prepared to make the macros myself. In fact, when I went into IR to start in on it, I saw that all the device buttons had macros that referenced "Phantom1"... not knowing what that was, I deleted them all! Wink

The problem is the docs with the ext2 are older than whatever file it is that defines those default macros.

Anyway, you're right. The basic work is done. The point is that unlike on the unextended remote, you can't just have a macro push the "DVD" button (for example) and expect it to work. You have to have macros on the device buttons just to make them function.
TommyB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Just received cable Reply with quote

I received a cable earlier today and have been playing around with IR. I was able to download the codes from a RS-2104 remote I have been using and uploaded them to the RS-2117.

However, I am still unsure about which files I need to use to control the 3 Tivos. I have looked through the files on the Yahoo group page, but do not see any files that are set to a specific Tivo remote addresses.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just received cable Reply with quote

TommyB wrote:
I received a cable earlier today and have been playing around with IR. I was able to download the codes from a RS-2104 remote I have been using and uploaded them to the RS-2117.

What exactly did you download and upload? These two remotes use totally different memory layouts, so you can't just download from one and upload to the other!

TommyB wrote:
However, I am still unsure about which files I need to use to control the 3 Tivos. I have looked through the files on the Yahoo group page, but do not see any files that are set to a specific Tivo remote addresses.

Absolutely ANY of the Tivo files can be used, just set the unit code to whatever value you want to use (in KM) and you're good to go.
TommyB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just received cable Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
What exactly did you download and upload? These two remotes use totally different memory layouts, so you can't just download from one and upload to the other!

I apologize, really all I did was downloaded the information from the 2104 and wrote down the remote codes I was using, then I plugged in the 2117 and entered the codes and uploaded to the remote...pretty basic I guess Smile

The Robman wrote:
Absolutely ANY of the Tivo files can be used, just set the unit code to whatever value you want to use (in KM) and you're good to go.

I was having problems with the latest version of KM - getting errors in the code...(I am pretty good with Excel vb, but that code was pretty advanced so I didn't really get too far into it)...so I downloaded v7.58 and it worked fine.

I was able to find a Tivo .txt file and figured out how to change the remote address. I created a code for each Tivo (used 0001, 0002, and 0003) and assigned to 3 buttons. The buttons are controlling each Tivo indepenetly, but I am having problems with some of the buttons not working (play, record, FF, RW, etc.) I am going to set up another code using a different file.

Also, I am having a problem with the VCR and CD button not responding. I have codes assigned to them, but when I press either button, it won't respond. Does it sound like I have a defective remote?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: