JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Buying a new remote- Home Theater master mx-500 Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can think of another "advantage" for the lcd screen. It also lists the setup code a device mode is currently set for. If you're using a device toggler or multiplexor, that "knowledge" would serve as a reminder or even indicator as to exactly which of the multiple device setup codes the device key is currently set for, or to toggle thru to get to the one desired. Without that, the user is forced to rely on memory, or the code blink-back to "remind" him what setup code a particular device key is currently set for.

With the extender, you can change the "labels" from the normal "vcr1 and vcr2 (perhaps multiple times) to something more meaningful so you don't have to remember which setup code goes with just which vcr, provided they may be different brands/models.

Jim
yubayogi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnsfine-

It sounds to me like the LCD doesn't really benefit you enough to offset the cost and weight. Does it help with programing or JP1-computer interfacing?

From a few reviews I have read these two remotes are a bit front heavy without the LCD, I would hate to add weight to the front just to have a cute LCD that's isn't worth its weight...haha.

Thanks
Scott
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It OUGHT to help with non-JP1 based programming. One blinking LED is very little feedback for where you are in complex programming sequences. Judging by the questions asked in the non-JP1 OFA forum (at RC) I don't see any evidence that it does help. People seem even more confused by KeyMoves with the questionable prompts in the LCD models than with nearly blind KeyMoves with non LCD models.

The only LCD model I ever tried was RCU810 (which doesn't have KeyMoves that way). It's documentation was so bad that without JP1 I never would have had a clue how to program it (though I was already expert at non-JP1 programming or the URC6800.

With JP1 programming the LCD and non LCD models is the same.

As for "front heavy" (vs. just heavy). That's entirely a function of where you hold the remote. I've never help an 8910 nor a 15-2116, so I wouldn't begin to guess at whether the natural point to hold it makes it more or less front heavy than the non LCD models.

I'm more bothered by the waste of space. I like the 8811 for having more buttons than other models and for having most of them decently spaced (for my fat fingers). I haven't tried an 8910, but from pictures it looks like both fewer buttons and worse spacing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 15-1994 for my main system and don't find myself needing an LCD screen at all, but on the other hand, I use a 15-2116 upstairs and I like being able to see which device I'm working by looking at the screen (the 15-2116 controls three different ReplayTV units, so it's useful).

As for the LCD making the remote heavier, that's not the case, the LCD is just a small piece of glass, about the size of a microscope slide. But like John said, it does use up space which could be used for buttons, or just to make the remote shorter.

In the case of the 15-2116, it's the same length as the non-LCD 15-1994 remote, but there's less free space at the bottom of the remote, so the transport keys are slightly more akward to use on the 15-2116 than they are on the 15-1994, but not enough to make the remote a bad remote.

Rob
yubayogi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a final question since I have pretty much everything else I need, you guys are very thourough and I appreciate it.

I use the Phillips DSR-6000 Direct/Tivo as my primary unit, which remote in your guys opinion would be best based on tivo key needs?

I notice the URC-8011/6011 have two groups of keys and from never programing one I would like to know which set controls the tivo (I am assuming the bottom group). I use fast forward a ton and the 8 second rewind a lot too. I love my Tivo remote and would hope to obtain the same type of feel and ease of use if possible. Is the 8811 better in that regard? Is the 8811 slimer than the 8011?

On the other hand, it looks like the 15-2116 only has one set of tivo type controls and The Robman uses his to control 3 DVR's which is a good sign.

I do have a suggestion, why doesn't the one-for-all web site talk about DVR's as a possible controlled device, they talk about VCR and aux funny, don't they know VCR's are out....Wink

Thanks
Scott
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yubayogi wrote:
I notice the URC-8011/6011 have two groups of keys and from never programing one I would like to know which set controls the tivo (I am assuming the bottom group). I use fast forward a ton and the 8 second rewind a lot too. I love my Tivo remote and would hope to obtain the same type of feel and ease of use if possible. Is the 8811 better in that regard? Is the 8811 slimer than the 8011?

This is the JP1 group, here we create our own upgrades, which means we can put the functions on whatever buttons we like, so if you want that group of buttons to control your Tivo, you wish is the remote's command!

yubayogi wrote:
On the other hand, it looks like the 15-2116 only has one set of tivo type controls and The Robman uses his to control 3 DVR's which is a good sign.

I'm using three different device buttons to control 3 PVRs with my 15-2116, but that's because I have way more device buttons than I have devices upstairs. For the main system, I have more devices than device buttons, so I'm using one device button to control 2 PVRs.

yubayogi wrote:
I do have a suggestion, why doesn't the one-for-all web site talk about DVR's as a possible controlled device, they talk about VCR and aux funny, don't they know VCR's are out....Wink

Well, they created a dedicated PVR remote (the URC-6131) and the Kameleon has a PVR device button and a reasonable set of PVR buttons, these are all good signs surely? Even if they are coming a bit late (I've had ReplayTV since December 1999)
yubayogi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the PJ1 remotes need to be modified to be able to plug them into the cable?

Thanks
Scott
Raven_13_45

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most if not all of the remotes discussed are JP1 ready, a few are specially modified by Rob for the JP1 cable. I have the OFA 8910 and have ordered a RS 15-2116. I'm selling the 8910 as after use I find it's buttons too closely spaced and I hope I will like the key layout much better with the RS model. Very Happy

Dan
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's right, it's mostly only the lower end remotes that need any modification. The URC-8811, URC-8910, URC-9910, 15-2116 and 15-2117 are all JP1 ready out of the box. The exception to that rule are the Kameleons which need a special adapter for JP1 use.

Low end remotes, like the URC-6131, URC-6012 and URC-8011 all need to have an EEPROM chip and 6-pin connector added for JP1 use.

There are other remotes out there that need more extensive modifications for JP1 use, such as the URC-4080 "Video Expert" and the 15-2103. Neither of these remotes have spots on the PCB for the 6-pin connector or openings in the plastic casing, so the mod is much more involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: