JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM - External functions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"However, immediately below the list are Device Type and Setup Code text boxes."

I don't see those. All that is below the list is the download and upload boxes, and a General Notes text box.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you edit or add a keymove, the Key Move dialog is displayed. This is where you can see the Device Type drop-down and Setup Code test box.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That wasn't where I was told to look for it. All the keymoves in my file were added automatically, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the details on that page. Next time I get into that file, I'll try it.
Thanks
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference between adding a function on the external functions page in RM or adding it directly in the keymove?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any difference.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Is there a difference between adding a function on the external functions page in RM or adding it directly in the keymove?

The difference is only on the PC, not in the remote.

It becomes an important difference when you want to upload files for others to use, and also when you want to reconfigure your own remote after you've been away from programming it for long enough that you forget why you did certain things.

External functions defined in RM imply that those functions are for the same device, but need a different protocol or device code.

KeyMoves in IR imply that those functions are for a different device Y, that is used with device X so that some of its commands are more useful within X's device mode (such as putting the TV command to select input from the DVD in the device mode that operates the DVD rather than the device mode that operates the TV).

But those implied meaning are only for the user trying to understand the files later. The remote itself doesn't need to know the "why?" of anything you programmed.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
That wasn't where I was told to look for it.
Was I not clear?

Mark Pierson wrote:
By "assigned" are you referring to the fact that on IR's Key Moves tab you can't select TV/0000 from the Device list until you assign it to a device button on the General tab (in the file you linked to above I see TV/0000 assigned to the CD button)?

Quote:
All the keymoves in my file were added automatically
Again, the Westinghouse file you referenced did not have the proper PIP Swap key move defined for TV/0000, so it never got copied into IR and therefore was never created automatically. Not knowing the exact steps you took to get from that upgrade file to the IR file you linked to, I assumed you created the key move manually.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Again, the Westinghouse file you referenced did not have the proper PIP Swap key move defined for TV/0000, so it never got copied into IR and therefore was never created automatically. Not knowing the exact steps you took to get from that upgrade file to the IR file you linked to, I assumed you created the key move manually.

In a previous post (Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:27 pm), I indicated that I found that error and fixed it.
e.axel wrote:
Mark- I did find that after posting that file. Still didn't work until I assigned 0000. Thanks.

Mark Pierson wrote:
Was I not clear?

Either you're confused or we are!

Mark Pierson wrote:
By "assigned" are you referring to the fact that on IR's Key Moves tab you can't select TV/0000 from the Device list until you assign it to a device button on the General tab (in the file you linked to above I see TV/0000 assigned to the CD button)? If so, you're right... but only partially.

Only those setup codes assigned to device buttons (General tab) show in that list. However, immediately below the list are Device Type and Setup Code text boxes. You aren't limited to only those in the list. You can enter ANY valid Device Type and Setup Code (TV/0000 in this case). "Valid" only means (as John pointed out above) that the setup code MUST be built-in to the remote OR be available as an upgrade.

No reference anywhere in here to the KeyMove tab. I was looking on the General tab and didn't find what you were referring to...

Sorry for all the confusion. It is straight now. I'll try it again later this morning.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK it does work, but not well because of the issue of Sony vs NEC1 codes discussed earlier. Because this is a Sony code, response is not as good as it would be if I had a NEC1 code that worked.

I cleared the 0000 assignment from the CD button, but still couldn't get swap to work until I uploaded after a 981 reset.

I would sure like to get a NEC1 code for this function, but since the NEC1 code set came from the original (very limited functionality) remote, I don't have a source.

This whole thing was very squirrely, and I thank all of you for the help and suggestions.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
No reference anywhere in here to the KeyMove tab.
It's this lack of attention to detail that leads me to believe you're not understanding some of the things people are trying to help you with. I clearly stated "on IR's Key Moves tab". If that's not a reference to the Key Move tab, I don't know what is. Surprised
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid a repeat of last week, I'm "not going there".
Rob: Please lock this thread!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
I'm "not going there".
That wasn't meant as a flame towards you, though I admit it might have come across that way.

It's just that when I "read between the lines", you don't seem to be grasping a few of the basic concepts of JP1. I've tried to help but if you don't want me to, fine by me.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still "won't go there"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: