JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any quick hits on this device?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slocko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Any quick hits on this device? Reply with quote

NEC1 (2 device), device 182, subdevice 88 ??

Thanks.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slocko,

You didn't even mention for which remote Sad. Devices.xls lists Nec 1, device 88 as CD_0155. (you might find some usable efc's.). Nec1, device 182 is CD_0190. I didn't find any in Devices.xls listing BOTH in one.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any quick hits on this device? Reply with quote

slocko wrote:
NEC1 (2 device), device 182, subdevice 88 ??

I think there is no built in setup code.
Since you were able to decode that, I assume you can download learned signals. So why worry about built in setup codes. Just make an upgrade.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't locate any existing code either. As John said, you should be able to learn and decode all your functions in IR, and then create your own upgrade with KM or RM.
slocko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry. the signals were learned on a 2116. thanks. I am beginning to understand it a little better now. I will try 190 and 155. eventually i will study the materials to create the upgrade.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slocko wrote:
I will try 190 and 155. eventually i will study the materials to create the upgrade.

The device and subdevice numbers must match exactly for a signal to work at all, so there's no reason to test ones that just come close. Occasionaly a setup code with the same device and a different subdevice may be related enough to give you hints about discrete codes or other signals missing from your original remote, but first you must do the basics of creating an upgrade based on your learned signals.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant he'd try setup code CD_0190 and CD_0155, not substitute 190 and 155 for the device codes. For some reason he's trying to avoid making an upgrade with the two device codes he needs. In the long run, that'll prove to be the major error. Comon slocko, zip up your zipper, tie your shoes and just make that upgrade, it isn't THAT difficult. Besides, you got all of us to lend a hand if you run into a stumbling block. Wink

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
I think he meant he'd try setup code CD_0190 and CD_0155, not substitute 190 and 155 for the device codes.

John was pointing out that trying those 2 setup codes would likely be fruitless since the device probably requires both the Device and Sub-Device to function. The time involved would be better spent doing the ol' JP1 learn-decode-make-upgrade! 8)
slocko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. since you guys are rabid preachers always trying to convert people, I decided to give the upgrade a try Smile

i find the beginners document too technical for beginners, but it's better than nothing i suppose. maybe one day i will re-write it.

i learned about half the commands and copied the efc codes from the learned section in IR to keymaster. I chose cd device, and the same parameters listed in IR. for device number i incremente by 1000 to 1090. as i write this, i realize that it should be 1190. i have to try that when i get home.

i successfully copied the upgrade code into IR. keymaster did not generate any protocol information which i assume is because the protocol is already supported by the 2116.

it didn't work. any ideas assuming using 1090 is not the problem?

if i don't have any luck tonight, i will upload the file and you guys can take a look.

is there any reason that IR doesn't store it's values in an ini file format? if it did, it would be simple for KM via vba to update the ini file with the relevant information that would load into IR when you run it. no cutting and pasting. maybe a future release?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a silly question but did you assign the upgrade to a device button on the setup panel after you pasted it in? I ask this question alot since nobody ever mentions that they did that between "pasting" and "uploading".

You probably did so the best bet is to post the IR and KM files in jp1 diagnostics. We will need to see the upgrade and the learned buttons in IR
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slocko wrote:
for device number i incremente by 1000 to 1090.

I expect you mean that you increased the setup code number not the "device" number.

The setup code number barely matters at all. Any number (within the range of valid numbers) will work. You only need to avoid using the exact number of another setup code that you're also using.

And as Jim said you need to change one of the device modes on IR's setup tab to use whatever setup code (type and number) you chose and installed.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slocko wrote:

is there any reason that IR doesn't store it's values in an ini file format? if it did, it would be simple for KM via vba to update the ini file with the relevant information that would load into IR when you run it. no cutting and pasting. maybe a future release?

IR stores its files in a simple text file, which can be modified by any program that can read its model-specific structure from an RDF file. KM doesn't use RDF files and no one has written an RDF file parser in VBA (just Pascal, Java, and C++) so it would be a hard change to KM.

It would be a much easier change in RemoteMaster (a KM alternative that uses RDF files already). We might even get around to that at some point. But most of the inconvenience comes from the fact that RM vs. IR is two programs at all, not from the particular choice of boundary. It wouldn't be much easier to have RM change your IR txt file but then need to reopen that file in IR in order to send it to the remote. Having RM be able to talk directly to the JP1 cable would be better but is further away.
slocko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have blast off!!!!!!!!!!

wow, this was so much easier than it looks.

turns out that i had the obcs and efcs confused. so didn't look carefully in IR and was plugging in obc values instead of efc values.

thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
slocko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more question.

Is there anyway to make a macro into a function assigned to a key without taking up key move space?

In other words, can I create an upgrade device and map all the macro keys as one function and come up with an EFC for it? This way, the memory is taken up by the upgrade area, and not the macro/keymove space. sort of like learning 3 key presses as one learned key press. i haven't tried that with learning, but it should be possible.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slocko wrote:
Is there anyway to make a macro into a function assigned to a key without taking up key move space?

In a word, no.

You might want to explore an extender (if there's one available for your remote) so that you can get significantly more key move/macro space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: