JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kameleon question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
divxdude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Kameleon question Reply with quote

do those hold up?

i always figured LCD + remote unit was a bad
combo getting knocked around so much.

these are had cheap at one spot..
should i snag one or 2?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several questions rolled into one - possibly based on a misconception.

"Kameleon" does NOT equal LCD display.

There are JP1 remotes with LCD displays, that have a couple lines of 4-5 characters displaying the current device and setup code (or can be customized using an extender and special protocol). Amongst these are the URC 8910, 9910, HTPro and RS 15-2116/2117.

"Kameleon" technology is NOT an LCD display. Rather, it is an electroluminescent screen of some sort (don't ask me for accurate techno-speak), in which different icons (some primitively animated) or characters can be made to illuminate under different device/button page selections on this sheet. Kameleon remotes include the RS 15-2133 and 2138, and URC 9960, 6690, and 6960, amongst others.

Those that like Kameleons, like them a lot, apparently, as quite a bit of development (extenders, etc) has been done for the 9960. I have not heard of any problems with them, OTHER than short battery life. Some of these complaints are based on some factory Kameleons' tendency to illuminate with the slightest vibration, but this has been fixed via hardware hacks, software mods (via the extender), and or may not be a problem in newer Kameleons.

I had a 9960 for a while and couldn't bring myself to like USING it. (I liked PLAYING with it and think it's exceedingly cool, but impractical for watching your home theater - partuicularly with the "soft" buttons. i.e. you have to look at the buttons to know what they are). I use HTPros and RS 15-2117s, as I like hard buttons and the LCD displays, especially when they're customized, and they don't affect battery life (at least not nearly as much as having the backlight illuminated!)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
divxdude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.
yes sorry the 9960 is what i was looking at..

was wondering if the soft buttons WEAR similarly to the regualr ones

and if they have a lot of pressure requirement.. my fingers are getting arthritis from the worn buttons on my current remote.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divxdude wrote:
thanks for the reply.
yes sorry the 9960 is what i was looking at..

was wondering if the soft buttons WEAR similarly to the regular ones
and if they have a lot of pressure requirement.. my fingers are getting arthritis from the worn buttons on my current remote.

I have 4 or 5 different Kameleons (one of each) and have not worn one out yet. And no, the touch is pretty soft and I have not had any problem with pressing. I am the one that wrote the majority of the Kameleon extenders and did it primarily to solve the backlight sensitivity problem and also enhance the battery life with backlight duration controls.

I experimented with solving the "find the button in the dark" problem and the best I came up with was a couple of dots on common buttons like the reference marks on a keyboard and it helps. I used clear nail polish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: