JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where is ExtInstall.exe ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Where is ExtInstall.exe ? Reply with quote

I can see it in Files/Programs at the yahoo site, but can't download from there. I can't find it here in Programs. I searched a bunch of directories, but no luck.

Is ExtInstall v3 still valid for IR6.15. I may have a copy of that someplace.

Edited 1/9
I do have a copy.
In IR, on the File menu, are 2 shaded-out commands, Extinstall and Merge. How can I unshade them?
How does Extinstall run from here?
What does Merge do?

I tried moving this over to the extenders section or website but don't know how Crying or Very sad
whompus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the directory path. I keep them in same dir as my rdf so I remember what dir to set to anytime.

I have not messed around much with it yet but am thinking it will in some cases merge a couple ir files into 1 ir file and such.

(edit) I just looked into it a bit and it is for hex and txt not ir files. So it may be for merging upgrades together. I will be keeping an eye on this thread and looking into it a bit more when I get some time.

(another edit) after reading a bit of the txt with it I can see its possable to use it to put custom extenders and protocols into the ir file with it. I need to keep my mouth shut and ears open on this one.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
I have not messed around much with it yet but am thinking it will in some cases merge a couple ir files into 1 ir file and such.

Can you merge IR files by exporting files as WAVs and then re-importing then selecting the "Merge" function? Of course, you'd need two IR files that weren't already crammed full of upgrades and macros and the like.
whompus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about the wav. You can with merge with extinstall. They would have to be of the same type remote and the one open in ir when you select merge with extinstall will have to have the space to except the other one. If it does not have the space it will just drop some devices from the one being merged into the one thats open.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone hunting ...
There is a clue, maybe, to all this here in Greg's post, second from the bottom, but not a definite answer:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5468&highlight=merge

Puzzling to me is Greg's "don't use install.bat" since it's one of the key procedures that comes with extender zip files. I wonder if I can assume that Merge does what install.bat does only without user interference. Once the path is set, or paths?

whompus, you mean path to extinstall, same idea as we do with RDF? Is that all I have to do to have it unshaded?

I know I can take someExtender.txt file from the zip file and use that for starters. The install.bat process worked for me long ago for 8910 when Extinstall was placed in the RDF directory, and the job did do the merge of unextended image with the SomeExtender.txt (ran out of space of course, but that's a separate issue). With 7800 install.bat wasn't even an option - it was simple to just open the old hex .txt file and throw the upgrades in. But ...

IR v6.15 is now all different, and Greg's note to not use install.bat sort of confirms that the process needs a change, does it not? And I still don't see Extinstall anywhere other than yahoo and my drive at home.

underquark, so you can merge any old IR files right?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
(another edit) after reading a bit of the txt with it I can see its possable to use it to put custom extenders and protocols into the ir file with it. I need to keep my mouth shut and ears open on this one.

Don't - refering to mouth shut.
Don't let the .txt vs .IR confuse you.
.txt works when you're building the extender.
It's just that the CURRENTLY saved IR files are alltogether in one cool .IR file, notes and all. In IR5 there were 2 files.

.txt file used to make an extender is just that. There is no Notes there anyway. Only extender code. You can open it it in IR (select file type .txt or all files to see it), and pop your upgrades in from another session of IR or someplace.

Anyway, I know you've done it but I thought I'll throw my 5 cents in on that .txt file issue which can confuse.
whompus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked in my local folders. I have it in both my rdf folder and my local remote folder. Don't really know why I have 2 copy's in there. May be from my moving stuff around and forgot where I put what. My local remote folder is what holds ir and rm. So it may need to be in same folder as ir to unshade the merge with option.

My referring to mouth shut and ears open was because I was starting to confuse myself. So I could only imagine how it was going to confuse others.

I think its main function is for instaling extenders. But it is also (I am thinking) for instaling, merging custom protocol. At present is beyond me so I will not go there yet.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps clarify anything, Extinstall's primary role in life was for installing extenders (hence the reason for the .hex default in IR interface) but the functionality in it will allow you to merge any 2 files. It also attempts to resolve any conflicts like if the target has a macro on say the TV button then it will not take the macro from the input file. Target by the way is the one that is loaded in IR at the time.

In order for IR to know and recognize Extinstall you have to set the directory in IR just like with the RDF's under the FILE/SET DIRECTORY function in IR. By the way, the default is the same directory IR is in so if you put the RDF's Extinstall and IR in the same folder it will work by default.
e34m5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes...the - Where does ExInstall go - question. I remember it well. We hashed this out as nauseum when we worked on IR5.
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post a link to ExtInstall? I, like ElizabathD, can't find it in the file sections, and somehow, I've lost it off of my computer.

Nevermind. I was able to get if from the yahoo jp1 site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Extenders/

at the bottom. Maybe it makes sense to move it here?

Thanks,
jeff
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I put it in the "Tools -> Programs" area of the file section
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nils for moving the file.

Byt the way, the latest versions of IR with the merge with ExtInstall, make the process of getting a first cut of an extended setup trivial. Thanks JP1 experts!

Best,
jeff
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for very promising suggestions.
But IR reports “System Error. Code 193” – does anyone know the description for this error?

I looked in the readme. It mentions few things it might stumble on (protocol conflicts etc), but nothing obvious to me.

Bottom line. Thisis not a showstopper. It can be done from the extender’s text file. But I wanted to try Extinstall on 6131.

And Jeff and Nils - it's good the file's here now, thanks.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have been a setup problem after all.
System Error. Code 193” seems to be related to RDF path which may have confused things.

I ran IR by clicking on the unextended .IR file on J drive. IR and Extinstall are on J drive. RDFs on C drive were never an issue for IR running from J. But Extinstall may have gotten a mixed message, and perhaps didn’t locate the extender RDF on C while running from J Surprised . In any case, it worked when I spoon-fed it the path to RDF again after moving \RDF to J.

Extinstall merged the upgrades with the extender image. It resolved a conflict of one special protocol (as explained in install.txt). All is well now, not that I like what happens to keymoves, but that’s to be expected per the same readme file.
e34m5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall all the details, but I do remember that exeinstall is very particular about the path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: