JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Born Again JP1er

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yagi_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Born Again JP1er Reply with quote

Originally got into the JP1 stuff several years ago but got frustrated trying to set up a Philips TV. Learned most keys but things just never quite worked out right. Usually each key push resulted in a double result, probably a "dirty" learn. Tried using the EFC's listed for TV/0054 but nothing involving the menu up/down keys worked so I gave up in frustration.

Recently got back into it because my son lost the original remote and a replacement was gonna cost around $50. Started looking through the various upgrade files for Philips TV's and finally found one that works on my TV. This encouraged me to start playing with other things around the house and, lo and behold, after MUCH tinkering I even managed to create a device code for an old Sharp mini-component system that involved using the Sharp Combined protocol because learning from the original remote revealed the use of 2 device codes, 18 and 20.

Sorry about the long intro but this experience has brought up 2 questions for me that I hope someone can answer:

1 - Where do the EFC codes that are listed come from? The listed codes for TV/0054 are not the proper codes for the "menu" controls, at least for my television, and I only found the right codes by trial and error using other peoples' device upgrades. Quite frustrating but it works now.

2 - When using the Sharp Combined protocol, all of the OBC's changed in KM v8.37 so it took quite a while for me to figure out what was going on and get the thing to work. The OBC's generated by IR v6.15 worked just fine when using just the single Sharp protocol. I just made 2 device upgrades and used the key-move function. Figured I'd try the combined protocol and couldn't get it to work. I finally realized that the OBC's were being changed from the "OBC to Comp EFC Table" to the "OBC to Base EFC Table". I finally changed my original OBC's to reflect those on the "Base Table" and came up with the correct EFC's. Now all works fine. Is this normal?

Thanks ...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Born Again JP1er Reply with quote

yagi_boy wrote:
1 - Where do the EFC codes that are listed come from? The listed codes for TV/0054 are not the proper codes for the "menu" controls, at least for my television, and I only found the right codes by trial and error using other peoples' device upgrades. Quite frustrating but it works now.

That's really a question for the OEM. The codes assigned to the buttons in the TV/0054 code were undoubtedly the right codes for the TV that this code was designed to control, but since then, Philips has brought out more TVs that use the same basic code but use different button codes for the more advanced functions. So what you end up with is a code like TV/0054 which is almost perfect but not quite. Chances are that there are 3 or 4 clones of the TV/0054 code now where the MENU button codes have been changed.

yagi_boy wrote:
2 - When using the Sharp Combined protocol, all of the OBC's changed in KM v8.37 so it took quite a while for me to figure out what was going on and get the thing to work. The OBC's generated by IR v6.15 worked just fine when using just the single Sharp protocol. I just made 2 device upgrades and used the key-move function. Figured I'd try the combined protocol and couldn't get it to work. I finally realized that the OBC's were being changed from the "OBC to Comp EFC Table" to the "OBC to Base EFC Table". I finally changed my original OBC's to reflect those on the "Base Table" and came up with the correct EFC's. Now all works fine. Is this normal?

No it's not normal. Somebody else raised an issue with the Sharp Combo a while back but I haven't had a chance to look into it.
yagi_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Robman.

This stuff is amazing. Don't know why this doesn't come any easier for me but hopefully I'll stick to it this time. Got my eye on a new Samsung HTiB with USB input capabilities and I'm hoping to get it set up on a JP1 remote, along with my TV and VCR.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Born Again JP1er Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
an issue with the Sharp Combo
I just uploaded KM 8.38 that fixes this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: