JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Decoding unknown device?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revelator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Decoding unknown device? Reply with quote

I just started rigging up my JP1 remote (RS 15-2104) today.

So far, everything is going ok...

But... the DVD player I have is very much unknown to the device codes listing (and the Internet for that matter, a Google search on it returns 4 results).

The DVD brand name is: Claritone

I have all of its keyed learned, but it almost fills up my learned memory. I'm wondering if/how I can "convert" these learned keys to normal ones (or whatever you call it).

When I look at the learned keys in IR, the show the Protocol as "NEC1", but Device is "0" and Sub-Device is "" (nothing). Each key appears to have a valid EFC value though.

Is it possible to move these out of the learned area? If so, how.

Thanks,
David
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Decoding unknown device? Reply with quote

Revelator wrote:
When I look at the learned keys in IR, the show the Protocol as "NEC1", but Device is "0" and Sub-Device is "" (nothing). Each key appears to have a valid EFC value though.Is it possible to move these out of the learned area? If so, how.
David,
Welcome to the JP1 forum! Ok, the next step is to use keymap-master (a spreadsheet, requires microsoft-excel) or remote-master (java application, requires you to install java which is free). These are referred to as KM and RM, respectively. Go to the files/tools section of yahoo-JP1 (the same place you likely got IR.exe from) and get either KM or RM (also there is a link there to the free java download). In KM or RM you create an "upgrade" for your device, and then you copy this information to IR, and you will have everything where you want it without using up your learning/keymove memory. There is a box in KM/RM to select your remote, select the protocol, select the device/subdevice, etc.

I am a newbie also. I think the NEC1 protocol is probably the most common protocol, but I have never seen device=0. This does not mean much though as, like I said, I am a complete novice. You seem like a bright guy. If I were you I would just jump feet first into KM/RM - the stuff is laid out so even a moron can create an upgrade. If you do get stuck you can read the beginner's guide or leave a follow up post to tell us how it is coming along.

There are generally only two things new people screw up: (1) you gotta select an RDF file in IR.exe before you do anything else, and it should be for the remote you are using. I think you probably already did this. (2) After you create your upgrade in KM/RM, you have to copy BOTH the device and the protocol boxes over to IR.exe (for some reason folks copy the device box and they forget to copy the protocol box) unless the protocol box is empty. (If you are using the NEC1 protocol you probably will have an empty protocol box as most remotes know this protocol because it is so commonly used.)

Lastly, all these programs are undergoing major revisions. If you think you did it right and it doesn't work, rather than spend a week on it, leave a post here. It is possible that it might be a small bug in the code which needs fixing. The best thing to do if something doesn't work is to upload your upgrade to the diagnostics folder at yahoo-JP1 and leave a post about it and someone will take a look.
JP1Files
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Befor doing that, you could set your remote to Cable/0303 (this code is using NEC1, device 0) and try the EFC's you've learned via short press to setup and then the three digits of the EFC you want. So you will know whether the DVD player is reacting or not.

Uwe

Last edited by uwereinert on Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Decoding unknown device? Reply with quote

Revelator wrote:
learned keys in IR, the show the Protocol as "NEC1", but Device is "0" and Sub-Device is "" (nothing). Each key appears to have a valid EFC value though.

It sounds like you think a device number of 0 and no subdevice indicates a failed decode. Many devices use NEC1 protocol with no subdevice. You leave the subdevice field in KM or RM blank to duplicate that. Some devices do use NEC1 protocol with a device of 0 and no subdevice. I don't think I've seen a DVD that does that, but I've never heard of the brand of DVD you have.

If you did hit a protocol my decoder isn't designed for, it could misdecode it and a device number 0 is more likely than other device numbers in such a misdecode. But plausible command numbers (a different EFC for each different function) are less likely in a misdecode. So these probably decoded correctly.

Uwe is usually right about things like the Cable/0000 suggestion he made here, but in this case I don't think so. I don't think Cable/0000 is NEC1 nor device 0. I don't think NEC1 device 0 is any built in setup code on the 15-2104. That doesn't matter at all when you create your own setup code.
damir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable/0040 is NEC1 device 0, no subdevice on the 15-2104
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damir wrote:

Oops. You're right. Maybe next time I try to look up whether a code is built in, I'll try waking up first.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damir wrote:
Damir, you are amazing. What resource did you use to figure this out?
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's easy. 2 steps. devices.xls (codes native to C7, 1994, and P-8's) lists them under the Nec 1 codes. Nec1, device 0 is shown for both cbl_0040 and cbl_0303. Checking the 2104 manual shows both listed as being native to the 2104 as well. 0040 for cable boxes under everquest, Goldstar, samsung, SL Marx, Signal, stargate, teleview among those listed. 0303 is listed in the 2104 manual as being used by "Radioshack" cable boxes. Oddly enough, "Clarinette" is an old RadioShack "brand name", so 0303 in the 2104 may work as well or better than 0040. Less than 2 min "detective work" would have discovered that. I've seen "Claritone" before, mostly as branded devices made by someone else. Now, remember that this is a dvd player, and the cbl codes are for a cable box. One *might* get the digit keys to follow through, but maybe not.

This is all really just academic, because the 2104 is a learner, the cable codes aren't likely to be all that much good anyway, especially key assignments, so he's really better off to just decode with Ir and build an appropriate upgrade.

Nec1, device 0 (no subdevice) has been around for a while if they are in P-8's and the C7 and 1994, albeit as cable codes 0040 and 0303. So the real key was if they weren't deleted as native codes in the 2104. If you don't have Devices.xls, get it. I refer to it A LOT.

Jim
Revelator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without quite knowing what I was doing, I sucessfully made an upgrade for the Claritone DVD player (only available in Canada I think).

Thanks for your help.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revelator wrote:
Without quite knowing what I was doing, I sucessfully made an upgrade for the Claritone DVD player (only available in Canada I think).Thanks for your help.
Good Work! Welcome to the Club! Now upload it to the yahoo file area under device codes/DVD !
JP1Files
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Decoding unknown device? Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Uwe is usually right about things like the Cable/0000 suggestion he made here, but in this case I don't think so.

Ooops...

Right, John. I mean Cable/0303. It was a typo.

Uwe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: