JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB Interface Error Message

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonsezdothis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: USB Interface Error Message Reply with quote

Hi.
I bought a USB Cable kit from filebug.com The driver loaded OK etc. When I try "check Interface" in IR.exe I get the error message ...

"SDA is being held Low. Check the batteries in the remote."

Batteries were new about 2 weeks ago and I've hardly used it.
No sign of battery low indicator on the remote. Tried to contact Tom@filebug.com but my mail is returned and his URL is not going anywhere either.

Anyone got any suggestions? Could this message be the result of something else? Something not connected in the cable? Where do I look first?

Cheers
Simon
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know absolutely NOTHING about the USB interface nor its sensitivity (or lack thereof) to battery condition, as I have used the simple parallel interface for years, but I CAN assert that for me, different remotes with different computers (desktop vs. laptop) require various battery configurations ranging from fully charged to weak-ish, to virtually dead, to open-circuited. I suggest you try not only NEW batteries, but several different combinations:
(1) Old, weak batteries;
(2) If you have four batteries, try reversing one (this simulates very weak batteries);
(3) Try removing a battery (open-circuiting it).

If none of this helps, you're into territory where my expertise and experience become nil. Good luck.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens, try the following:

Unplug the usb cable from the computer, wait about 3 seconds and plug it back in.

When you do this, do not close IR and do not unplug it from the remote. Then try to upload or download.
simonsezdothis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Will try your suggestions and let you know the outcome.
cheers
S.
simonsezdothis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: USB Reply with quote

OK.

Firstly, sometimes when I plug the Interface into the Remote (not connected at PC end) the LCD display shows everything. This is when I've seen the message "SDA's being held low ..." etc
Other times I can plug it in with no problems - then I get the message ...
"The remote is not acknowledging signals from the interface"

This all happens on both my desktop which is running Win2KPro 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4, and my Laptop running XPPro V2002 Service Pack 2

Now.
I've just tried my simple interface again too which I couldn't get to work at all. Here's what's happening now.
IR.exe says the Serial/Parallel Driver is functioning properly.
I go to "Check Interface" and when I push the confirm button I get "No response from Interface ..." BUT the remotes display lights up everything again.

Any ideas?

CHeers
S.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear from your post whether or not you have tried the various battery combinations I mentioned above. (Nor for that matter, what remote you're using, although I'm guessing it's an 8910) I would really focus on the simple interface, where the voltage emanating from the battery compartment really seems to have an effect, but for that (rather than the USB) you have to ensure you have the correct parallel port selected (admin rights, port address, etc.).

There are plenty of threads in the forum about trouleshooting parallel port problems.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
simonsezdothis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ... yes I tried all the battery combinations and a fresh set but nothing changed.
I'll check the discussions on Parallel Interfaces, but I'm no PC expert which is why I opted for a USB one when it didn't work right off.
Yes I have admin rights and the port address is correct.

I'll keep reading!
Thanks.

Simon
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following if you have not already done so:

Uninstall the USB driver etc.
Re-install USB driver
Check that you are plugging the cable into a primary USB port and not daisy-chaining it off a keyboard, for example.

Now if that doesn't work then please re-post and tell us everything we need to know in order to provide help - PC make, model, OS (exact version), cable software (USB driver) version, remote model, whether you are using an extender or not (unlikely but you never know), what directory you put you IR.EXE file into, where you have put the RDFs for IR etc. etc. etc. (sorry for sounding like Yule Brinner at the end there but the more info. the better).
Cybershaolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here I got the exact same problem. Just got my cable freom the same place (Filebug). Not only it does not work but I had to figure out everything since there were no instructions at all with my cable.

Had to find the driver first. Then I assumed I was OK but here comes that message: SDA is being held low...

I have admin rights, My device is recognized and my driver is OK. I changed the batteries with brand new ones many times, unplug USB cable, etc etc.

It just does not want to work. This is very frustrating. Also, like the other user was mentionning, it seems that the filebug website does not work anymore.

Where do I go from now?
whompus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diygadget gives you instructions here with pix for his cables. I am sure its the same steps for filebugs.
Cybershaolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That made it, it works now! I have to figure puit now how to work with this, especially the txt files for keymaster...
hylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional item to check is the orientation of the JP1 cable. IR will also give a SDA's being held low if it's plugged in backwards. My USB plugs in opposite of my parallel one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: